High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl FS66 Transistor

jlmclean

New OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and it looks very interesting. I enjoy my 2 stroke engines and working on them. I have worked on them since I was a very early teenager and I'm now 70. Matter of fact, when I started working on car engines, I couldn't understand why they didn't have needle bearings on the crank. I have a Stihl FS66 trimmer with problems. It's a little hard to crank but will crank, does not get up to full speed, maybe about 1/2 or a little more and you can't tune it to run any faster, then after maybe 5 minutes of running if you're lucky, it will act like it's smothering down. You can hit the choke for a second and it will help maybe a little but it still smothers down and quits running. It still has spark but it is very yellow, no blue at all. It then has to cool down completely before it will crank again. I have trouble understanding some of these early electronic ignitions but it has what is called a transistor along with the coil. Does anyone know if the transistor could be causing my problem? I have about determined it's the transistor or the coil especially with the heating up and cooling down but it doesn't act like a coil and the transistors are fairly expensive if you can find one.