Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys -

I've decided to put this nice old 066 up for grabs - this is from the era just after the "Red Light" saws, so likely around late 1993/early 1994. It's a metal flywheel saw with the upgraded (13 big end roller) OEM crank. I built this in the early days of the pandemic - The carcass came from a member here and pretty much every part or component used in the rebuild came from members here. I split the case and installed a new OEM bearing on the PTO side, and a Nachi 6203 on the flywheel side. Both seals are new OEM as are all the gaskets (set came from DDave's store). The piston is a new Meteor (A/B piston in an "A" cylinder). The wrist pin bearing is minty OEM as is the cylinder (early, thick-base, non-decompression valve jug - period correct for this saw). The oil pump is a later MS-660 OEM oil pump but I don't know if it's the high-volume pump.

Carburetor is a Walbro WJ-48. Fuel line, filter, impulse hose, vent, check valve, and filter elbow are new OEM. The ignition in this saw was originally intended for the poly flywheel saws - it's the 1128 400 1309 ignition. That means the ignition timing on this saw is fairly aggressive and it shows when running it. If you'd rather have a stock OEM universal ignition, let me know (this ignition might be too hot for cutting in an area where the ambient temperature is higher). There are three aftermarket parts on this saw: Brake cover, rear muffler casing, and the clutch shoes. Everything else is OEM (unless you want to consider the Meteor piston an aftermarket part as well). The brake handle and 3/4 wrap handle are used OEM parts from a 660.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The air filter cover and filter base are new OEM parts. I'll ship this with a new OEM HD-2 air filter, and I also have Holeshot air filter stuff for the saw if desired. The top cover is faded and I haven't attempted to polish it, so I'll leave that for the buyer. Oil and Gas caps are new OEM. I'm asking $750 plus shipping PHO, but I've got lots of bars and chains to choose from.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Things I can use in trade:

Stihl 020T/MS-200T parts saw
Echo 2511T runner (modified or not) (Or possibly other newer Echo top handle)
Makita 18v batteries
McCulloch 105/125 carcasses and parts

I could also use a half-wrap handle for @cuinrearview 's Roper 3.7, if you have one handy.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other new OEM parts: Clutch cover, rope rotor, and recoil spring. I can't remember if the starter pawls are new but I'll check.

Video: I'm pretty happy with how it runs. This was at about 1,000' elevation - bar is a 28" Oregon lightweight with new 75CJ chain. Wood is Western Hemlock.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice saw. Wish I was ready to buy. GLWS

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any preference on the Makita batteries, 3/4/5 aH?

Not really Mike - I just bought several 18V Makita tools, including the cordless blower (that eats through a 5A battery in about 20 minutes). I don't really have a preference
as the different tools can use different size batteries.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really Mike - I just bought several 18V Makita tools, including the cordless blower (that eats through a 5A battery in about 20 minutes). I don't really have a preference
as the different tools can use different size batteries.
Is it the single 18v battery version or the 36v version (two batts)?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The blower is the single battery but I'm thinking about trying that cordless chainsaw that uses the two batteries.
They cut pretty good, solid chainsaw whether in 14” or 16” model. I think right now at CPO Outlets the 16” saw with four 5.0Ah batts and fan-cooled dual rapid charger is about $380. Full factory warranty, etc. Prob find the same prices whether CPO, AcmeTools, etc, etc.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys -

I've decided to put this nice old 066 up for grabs - this is from the era just after the "Red Light" saws, so likely around late 1993/early 1994. It's a metal flywheel saw with the upgraded (13 big end roller) OEM crank. I built this in the early days of the pandemic - The carcass came from a member here and pretty much every part or component used in the rebuild came from members here. I split the case and installed a new OEM bearing on the PTO side, and a Nachi 6203 on the flywheel side. Both seals are new OEM as are all the gaskets (set came from DDave's store). The piston is a new Meteor (A/B piston in an "A" cylinder). The wrist pin bearing is minty OEM as is the cylinder (early, thick-base, non-decompression valve jug - period correct for this saw). The oil pump is a later MS-660 OEM oil pump but I don't know if it's the high-volume pump.

Carburetor is a Walbro WJ-48. Fuel line, filter, impulse hose, vent, check valve, and filter elbow are new OEM. The ignition in this saw was originally intended for the poly flywheel saws - it's the 1128 400 1309 ignition. That means the ignition timing on this saw is fairly aggressive and it shows when running it. If you'd rather have a stock OEM universal ignition, let me know (this ignition might be too hot for cutting in an area where the ambient temperature is higher). There are three aftermarket parts on this saw: Brake cover, rear muffler casing, and the clutch shoes. Everything else is OEM (unless you want to consider the Meteor piston an aftermarket part as well). The brake handle and 3/4 wrap handle are used OEM parts from a 660.

Ah thats a beauty:)

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They cut pretty good, solid chainsaw whether in 14” or 16” model. I think right now at CPO Outlets the 16” saw with four 5.0Ah batts and fan-cooled dual rapid charger is about $380. Full factory warranty, etc. Prob find the same prices whether CPO, AcmeTools, etc, etc.

I concur with this. I’ve used both the Makita and Milwaukee. The Makita likes to eat through wood at its own pace, don’t push it to hard while on the other hand the chain moves much slower on the Milwaukee but it can be “dogged” much harder in the wood. One thing to note they both hog batteries but the air fan on the Makita rapid charger seemed to do a better job of cooling the batteries for charging than the Milwaukee could for the monster 12AH or 9AH. Both work well for cutting power poles. The Milwaukee definitely heats the battery faster and will reach thermal lock quicker. The Milwaukee in the lower photo limbed and bucked the entire tree-multiple batteries used. @jacob j.

Attachments

• 3C2206B5-8C9C-42D8-BAF3-A2DD151937B3.jpeg
    3C2206B5-8C9C-42D8-BAF3-A2DD151937B3.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 27
  • ECDC31E9-2652-4CEA-A1ED-5A4D356C0DA1.jpeg
    ECDC31E9-2652-4CEA-A1ED-5A4D356C0DA1.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 27

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I concur with this. I’ve used both the Makita and Milwaukee. The Makita likes to eat through wood at its own pace, don’t push it to hard while on the other hand the chain moves much slower on the Milwaukee but it can be “dogged” much harder in the wood. One thing to note they both hog batteries but the air fan on the Makita rapid charger seemed to do a better job of cooling the batteries for charging than the Milwaukee could for the monster 12AH or 9AH. Both work well for cutting power poles. The Milwaukee definitely heats the battery faster and will reach thermal lock quicker. The Milwaukee in the lower photo limbed and bucked the entire tree-multiple batteries used. @jacob j.

Thank you men, you've pretty well made up my mind on the 36v Makita. I'm getting old so I qualify for a battery saw now.

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@jacob j. I strongly suggest picking up at least 1 pair of 6AH batteries if not 2 for the saw. Second make sure you get the bar nut model, not the tooless tensioning version.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the Makita 14” 36V rear handle comes in either two bar nut option or tool-less option for the chain adjuster, but not the 16” rear handle models (comes with tool-less adjuster only). Kinda odd I guess. Both the 14” and 16” rear handles deliver the same 0-3940 FPM though, so motor is the same. I knew the top handle versions all came with a single bar nut, but was unaware the 16” rear handle came tool-less only. I guess to get the best of both worlds if needed, buy the 14” rear handle option w/two 5Ah batts and dual rapid charger setup for the two bar studs, and throw a 16” bar on if needed.

Last edited: