drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're gonna port them, it shouldn't matter. But....

My understanding is that the 10mm jugs have a narrower intake port to correspond to the narrower ring pin placement of the 10mm piston. So if you get a 12mm jug, the intake width may be in the pins and be a no go. I'm not sure if after assembly, the ends may still be above the port at BDC. You may need some finageling during assembly.

The meteor 10mm piston MAY have wider pin spacing than OEM. In fact, I'm pretty sure it does. It shares a lot with the 12mm casting. Actually too much-the pin bosses are spaced for the 12mm rod and too far apart to fully locate the 10mm bearing in the small end of the rod. That's why many won't use a meteor on the 10mm 044. I have one in mine and it runs just fine though.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When they went to the 5.4 Hp (from 5.1) they widened the intake port. Corresponds with SN 148 532 ***.

But my strongest runner is the 10 mm 3 + jug, which was well before that change.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also an A cylinder, how does it run?
I have not given it a good run yet.
I find all this very interesting as I think the saw has been built from bits.

It has a red lever handle with a 12mm crank and the slant fin jug.
The piston was a dodgy AM unit so I have bought a meteor for it.

I think the case serial starts with 132.....

I would think with an A and 6 pluses it will give one of jays 66's a run for its money ha ha

I will get some pictures of the cylinder ports tonight

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would not be surprised if it just has a new piston in it. That is a 12 mm SN, and the early 12s had slant fin jugs & red lever. The Early 10 mm saws had black lever, the red was just an "in the middle" thing.

Sounds like a good saw to me.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston that was in it had a crown height about .022 lower than it should be resulting in over .060 squish and about 120 psi compression.

The piston also has no wings like the oem and meteor piston so not even sure what it is.

Won't ba able to do pics, the battery in my week old iPhone 7 has failed and after 2 hours charging I get 20 min and it's flat again

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you have IDed the reason someone would sell such a fine saw for so little.

Good on you, bring it back to life right!

How does you cylinder look?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MustangMike, I've got one for you. Bought this 10mm metal badge off a member and its got a stihl slant fin cylinder on it. Serial number starts with 128****. Is that an early 10mm jug or maybe a replacement jug. I have a cylinder with slant fins and a D port. What is that? Didn't mean to derail the thread but we were talking about 10 mm 044. Thanks.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked at Brews' pictures again and mine looks like his. Is mine a 12mm with that serial number? The other cylinderlooks exactly like the one in my saw. Don't know at what serial number they changed over.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 22

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up for me Rob. According to the pics mine is a 10mm. That is a great and easy way to check.

Your SN is in the end of the 10 mm range. All 044/440s have D combustion chambers, along with the first year 046s. Don't know the 046 SN cutoff, but I think it is between 138 + 040******.

Early 12 mm saws had angled fins just line the 10mm saws, later ones did not.

I'm thinking your saw likely has the red control lever also.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wow, i got lots of checking to do tonight!!:D i got 4 sitting here! one thing i have checked.. i got a meteor kit and i noticed the jug felt heavy.. so i weighed a straight finned jug and the meteor jug and there was about 85 grams (3 oz ) difference! thats a fair wack just for a jug. may weigh the pistons tonight too.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wow, i got lots of checking to do tonight!!:D i got 4 sitting here! one thing i have checked.. i got a meteor kit and i noticed the jug felt heavy.. so i weighed a straight finned jug and the meteor jug and there was about 85 grams (3 oz ) difference! thats a fair wack just for a jug. may weigh the pistons tonight too.
Meteor piston is gonna be WAY heavier

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jeremy, I always remember the first 3 numbers, then
I've yet to see an older 10mm with a black switch @MustangMike

But that doesnt mean they don't exist

I agree with you Jeremy. My older 044 (and the guy next door), both start SN 120 and both have black control levers. My SN 126 saw has the Red Lever, and I know some of the early 12 mm saws do also. I believe it was a "in the middle" time period thing.

I think that is what I expressed above.