Splitting Wedges

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my fleet of splitting wedges: all dressed up and no where to split!

View attachment 33683
Top wedge, in the middle, and 3 wedges at bottom right, have little or no use. The other 6 have been used extensively, and just cleaned up nicely. Some had mushroomed edges sticking out as much as 1/2 inch at the top!

The blue wedges, and the black wedge (top row, second to the left) have the densest feeling steel. I can't imagine that cast wedges would hold up well, but I am sure that there are differences in the steel, and the forging methods used.

I will have to pack them into my carry on luggage and go visit some of those guys with the monster oaks to split!

Philbert
Philbert I have saw your chain fixes both metal and plastic wedge restoration. Is there any wood harvesting material you throw away?

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some old wedges I'll get some pictures over the weekend.

There's a old story of my grandpa losing My great grandpa's wedges way back when he was a kid and splitting wood. I guess he was ordered to look for them everyday, but never found them. My dad has went looking for them with his metal detector and has yet to find them.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 33683
Top wedge, in the middle, and 3 wedges at bottom right, have little or no use. The other 6 have been used extensively, and just cleaned up nicely. Some had mushroomed edges sticking out as much as 1/2 inch at the top!

The blue wedges, and the black wedge (top row, second to the left) have the densest feeling steel. I can't imagine that cast wedges would hold up well, but I am sure that there are differences in the steel, and the forging methods used.

I will have to pack them into my carry on luggage and go visit some of those guys with the monster oaks to split!

Philbert
I wince every time I see a steel splitting wedge nowadays. I remember being so young and only being able to split 15 or 20 beech blocks after working all day on it lol

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
Why wouldn't a cast wedge hold up well? Many blacksmith anvils are cast. They hold up pretty well with repeated pounding... Quality of the casting is the key factor. Not whether they're cast or forged.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen some cast break where steel wouldn't have not saying it can't be made to hold but the regular cast iron I've been around I would be hesitant to slam with a sledge. I'm certainly not sure but I'm curious at this point

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thank of cast iron as being more brittle then forged iron. As you say, there is probably a lot more to it, including the quality of the steel and the process used.

Philbert

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
STIHL

At the STIHL booth at the State Fair:

View attachment 33207

Philbert

That looks cool, though it would be cooler if it said 'Husqvarna' on it. LOL

I just bought a couple of regular wedges and a grenade at the local farm and ranch. I was apparently trying to split maple that was still too green, the wedges would just bounce out. The Granfors-Bruks Large Splitting Axe took care of the rounds, though.