High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

solvent-based parts washer

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a small-sized parts washer that uses organic solvents instead of water-based detergents for my shop? Currently, I use an oil change pan along with gasoline to wash parts. Not the safest way, but it's fast at getting the oily woodchip gunk off the parts. I also have a small parts washer that can only use water-based detergents, but it's too slow for the heavy, oily gunk.

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I use the 20 gallon red and blue washer from Harbor Freight with good success. I think it's not approved for petroleum based cleaners though. I use 10 gallons of 50/50 Purple Power and water. Doesn't really answer your specific question though. Cleans real good though.

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Dieselfitter, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for for the shop. Hopefully there's some way to clean out all the crap that comes off some of these old saws. I've four "Homeowner" saws in the garage now (2 Craftsmans, a McCulloch and a Homelite) and I don't think any of them has ever been cleaned off.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That what professional automotive shops use. The stoddard solvent is basically mineral spirits. Blow off with compressed air and the residual will evaporate fairly quick. The really nasty stuff I scrape with a pick and them put in a spray wash cabinet. It's like a giant dishwasher, recycles the heated water/detergent solution.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a HF parts washer a little over a year ago. I added mineral spirits and it worked great the first day. The second day I tried to use it and it wouldn't work.

I brought the pump back to HF and they pulled a new one out of a washer and gave it to me. I installed it and it worked great. Next day I went to use it and nothing.

Off to HF again.... Home I go with another pump. This time after doing some reading I discovered that those pumps are for water based solvents only.

I ended up having to buy a pump for petroleum based solvents.

It's my understanding that most of the cheaper parts washers that you buy today (HF, TSC, Rural King, Lowes) all come with pumps for water based solvents.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Dieselfitter, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for for the shop. Hopefully there's some way to clean out all the crap that comes off some of these old saws. I've four "Homeowner" saws in the garage now (2 Craftsmans, a McCulloch and a Homelite) and I don't think any of them has ever been cleaned off.
Check w/ safety clean on their rates; they can provide the equipment too, I believe

Kozak Logging

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The water based ones I have used at a shop i worked at was the best damn thing I ever used. It even would take off grease and gear oil. We had Safety Clean. I only saw one pump go out. Other than that, it never hurt the skin and works amazing at cleaning of the handles on all my snap on screw drivers, would clean the green and black like brand new no matter what i got on them.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a brand new water based parts washer at the Ford dealership where I worked. I used it once for about 30 seconds. It was useless.

Kozak Logging

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE="dieselfitter, post: 24127, member: 266"te was a brand new water based parts washer at the Ford dealership where I worked. I used it once for about 30 seconds. It was useless.[/QUOTE]
The one we had was a heated unit. Was hot but tolerible. Sorry to hear yours didn't work out for you.

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Check Craigslist for Graymills washers. A Graymills 500 is the ticket, and you can get one for around $500.00 too.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought one (20 gallon on wheels) from Tractor Supply along with 10 gallons of their PSC1000 cleaner (naptha) which they claimed would work. It did....for a week then all the orings swelled to the point that the plastic pump fittings broke. They claimed they had never seen that before so they gave me a pump from another shelf unit. Same thing.

I ended up replacing the aquarium pump they use with a pump that is designed for parts washers and solvents (Little Giant 1YS) which I got used on ebay. I've used it over a year and it works great. I've added a flow-thru brush, a valve to control flow rate and a filtration system. I had to do some minor sheetmetal mods but overall it went smoothly. I probably have $200 into it without including the solvent (another $80).

Attachments

• P1020548.JPG
    P1020548.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020549.JPG
    P1020549.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7991bb04ebca907850149b94f8686eda.jpg
old gray mills here. I use mineral spirits in mine.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Naptha in mine but that is just a type of mineral spirit.

Wiki:
White spirit (UK)[note 1] or mineral spirits (US),[1][2][3] also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, Stoddard solvent,[4][5]or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived clear liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting and decorating

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Before buying, you can check the MSDS's for flash points. Some of the solvents are advertised as "safety solvents" that have higher higher flash points and importantly the vapor pressures are lower.