So what did you buy today

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fell down a rabbit hole. In my area for what ever reason I have trouble getting *s-wordake (S-H-I-I-T_a_Ke) mushrooms, and of course it's usually when I want to make something that calls for them. So I decided to google mushroom growing, I thought to myself I have somewhat of a green thumb.

What seemed easy at first I got over whelmed as soon as I figured out there were so many strains of the same species. Not like oh three different common varieties of oyster. No like sub categories to those varieties. At that point I just ended up calling the second company I was looking at and they were a great deal of help and they had a special going on. They had pretty specific listing on compatible woods for their mushrooms and strains and I was worried about it being live oak. Thankfully they had customers in the coastal south and they were well aware of it and I'd probably see an additional two to three months for it to start fruiting.

I also didn't realize how little of wood I needed, Diameter (3 inches on the small side). If I had known I would have started this years ago. All the small limbs that I either chipped or burned I would have saved to make mushrooms lol.

Also the special going on (What I bought), it's this. If you are interested I would recommend the thumb tool version and you can make note of what strain of mushroom/strain you want. (Be aware some mushrooms from my limited research can be pretty picky)
The reason for the thumb tool is you can either use it as a thumb tool or palm it with a slight trade off in comfort, and I don't see the getting my thumb over the palm version. It may say $15 but for me the shipping was about $20 if I didn't do that. So I saved quite a bit.

And yeah. the grinder attachment was an absolute god send. I knew it was going to be faster. But running it I was blowing through the logs and I'm thankful I went that route vs sitting there will a drill.

I didn't take much photos but those logs were about a quarter of what I still need to do from my pile (I got the delivery in the evening) I'm going to finish out the rest tomorrow and I still have quite a bit of the sawdust spawn left. I'm also going to see if I can use some of the spawn and make a "Starter batch" I'm wondering if I can use chips or worst case take a circular saw and make dust then introduce some of the spawn.
So I can continue this for the future hardwoods I cut down.

EDIT: it didn't like the species name lmao.
I'm not sure which species of wood you're using, but around here folks doing shiitakes use tan oak (not a true oak), but you can't just use any tan oak. The diameter of the log doesn't matter as much as the thickness of the bark. The thicker the bark, the better.

Best of luck! I'm hoping in a year or two to be able to do oysters and shiitakes. We need to get our potatoes/onions/garlic/leeks and strawberries figured out first.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure which species of wood you're using, but around here folks doing shiitakes use tan oak (not a true oak), but you can't just use any tan oak. The diameter of the log doesn't matter as much as the thickness of the bark. The thicker the bark, the better.

Best of luck! I'm hoping in a year or two to be able to do oysters and shiitakes. We need to get our potatoes/onions/garlic/leeks and strawberries figured out first.

Southern Live oak.
Quercus virginiana

Starts in Virginia then goes down the coast to Florida then between there and around Texas is changes to another species of liveoak. The common name is dumb because people hear liveoak and think a fresh/green oak of "X" species.

It's pretty acidic compared to other species of oak (I tried smoking meat with it, I do not recommend) and is a quite tougher both in what damage it can sustain and it's physical hardness. Like a neighbor has a tree that's completely hollow. The entire length of the trunk is hollow with 3-5" of outer and yet it continues to sprout fresh green on the canopy and somehow it survives hurricanes on the intercostal. From what I've seen this isn't uncommon for them. They don't grow very tall and their branches can be a crooked mess to climb in.

I also have one in my property that it's completely uprooted with snapped roots and it been like that a while before I even owned the property. It's just like, okay. Up is a different direction now with no signs of stopping.

I can say it somewhat sucks to burn. You have to start the fire with pine get it skin melting hot then throw it in. Once it does finally kick off from that it burns hot and long. Like I've thrown diesel on in, Left a torch on it and I just does not want to burn even when it's dry as can be (Kennel dried scraps). (The me, "leaving a torch on it" is from trying to smoke with it) (EDIT: a weed torch on full blast)

Last edited:

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Finally got an M8500. I was bleeding a caliper Tuesday in the pouring rain without the right stuff. $85 on tooldiscounter
View attachment 415231
Good folks to work with. The Vadnais Heights, MN warehouse is just a couple of miles from the homestead. They are set up for doing will call order pickups as well.

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good folks to work with. The Vadnais Heights, MN warehouse is just a couple of miles from the homestead. They are set up for doing will call order pickups as well.
They are. They package items so they make it to your house intact and I think it shipped the next day. MRO tools and Jb tools are good as well. MRO has good Astro prices but they are back ordered more than other sites.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few things for $20, a Richmond hammer 25 oz, a pencil sharpener that I had about 30 years ago, then it was CCCP and now it's probably Chinese

Attachments

• IMG_20240407_140547.jpg
    IMG_20240407_140547.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you ever need to replace them try the NWS fantastico cutters. I think the beat all the others. They cutter 4 awg solid copper like it’s nothing.
NWS is also an interesting company, I looked at cable end sleeve pliers but in the end I chose Klauke because they are longer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-171907.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-171907.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240407-172157.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-172157.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 9

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NWS is also an interesting company, I looked at cable end sleeve pliers but in the end I chose Klauke because they are longer
I never heard of klauke. I’ll have to check them out.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-202719.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-202719.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A more expensive company than nws / I bought it from an electrician for $10 / The newer version of klauke is $40 here
It doesn’t look like they sell them in the US. There are some more expensive tools available by them but no hand tools.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sgarden.cz
Very, very good place for spareparts if you live in Europe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408-125306.png
    Screenshot_20240408-125306.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 15

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20240409_022340.jpg20240409_022420.jpg

pay no mind to the 395 decal...

it's a 2014, new bar/newish chain, has some wear & tear but runs like a top. I ordered an oem full wrap handle, dogs, bar adapter so I can run my Stihl bars & some replacement hand grip insert pieces.

My plans are to muffler mod it, maybe base gasket delete & clean up the ports, delete the decomp. I'll probably keep the stock air filter & "hood" on it (for now).

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd move!

HA! You should see our roads, or lack thereof. Nah, it's paradise. Always trade-offs. I'll snap a photo today when I fill up; could be ten cents higher!

This is actually a decent stretch of pavement on this road which is equal parts pavement, gravel, and potholes. Switchbacks across cattle grates up through pastures where some beeves enjoy pretty incredible views. I bet @HumBurner knows right where I took this. I had about 900# of maple syrup in the back of a rented Ford Edge. Don't buy a rental car...

20231117_121432.jpg

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is actually a decent stretch of pavement on this road which is equal parts pavement, gravel, and potholes. Switchbacks across cattle grates up through pastures where some beeves enjoy pretty incredible views. I bet @HumBurner knows right where I took this. I had about 900# of maple syrup in the back of a rented Ford Edge. Don't buy a rental car...

View attachment 415494
Not 100%, but if it's in Humboldt, I'd guess it's the Mattole Road/Wildcat that goes through Petrolia and up into Ferndale.

And yea, that's a pretty decent looking section of road, compared to many of our others.