Smashed, Seized and Neglected Clamshell/Homeowner saws

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m trying to get my guys to all switch to pro saws. I love working on them vs the plastic crap. I try to sell the pro saw idea every chance I get. They last longer for them and more durability
The only reason I got it done is because they started asking my advice. I had the contact info of the salesman where the state has the contract, so I just have him quote PRO SAWS ONLY. Then they don’t know the difference, lol.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ironically enough, the homeowner saws can give very good service in the hands of a pro who knows how to take care of the darn thing whereas the numbskulls who usually buy homeowner saws would be better served with a pro saw as it can better withstand their abuse and neglect.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A weld supervisor I knew back in the day lost his shyt in a meeting once when we were discussing the guys breaking so many grinders etc, he said......

"If we left an anvil in the middle of the floor when 2nd shift got here, when we got back the next day it'd either be pregnant or broken"

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mother always said that I could tear up a German tank with a rubber hammer. But she also knew I could usually fix it too. Otherwords what I think she meant was that if I was given enough time I could take anything a part.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had a discussion post about a 029 super I tried fixing up for a buddy of mine, long story short he complained about having a badly tuned carb and I ended up finding a scored cylinder and an air leak in the crank, got it tuned up and running but basically told him that saw in running on borrowed time. My problem is that you can get a ready to go 029 for $200 any day of the week around here and for the parts and labor it's probably not worth repairing but the tinkerer in me really wants to do an 039 swap and a port job on it just because I can ,even though you could get a 026 pro that would still likely run and cut better for the same money and less work.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That where I have to draw a line on repairs and is where it is reasonable to do repair vs replacement costs. Just common sense. Now if there is collector that willing to spend more than a saw or other equipment is worth on the open market then it can be done.