greg_bbs

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,
I’m looking for options and suggestions on shipping a chainsaw from Canada to the US.
What is cheapest yet reliable?
Thank you

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This past winter the best option at the time for me was to use the United States Postal Service which then went through Canada Post for delivery. It may be different vice versa. I think the customs and such seem to be a little more complicated and costly on the Canadian side. It was by no means cheap. NAFTA may kick in if the saw was made in the US, Canada, or Mexico. Some duties are exempt then I believe. All in all it sounds like international shipping these days is difficult.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can set yourself up as a small business with them for free. Then you get discounted rates, the first $100 of insurance is free, and you can do your customs declarations all online, as well as do your own shipping labels. If you aren't equipped to print them at home, they will print them at the post office for you. It's very straightforward, and you can even get them to pick up the parcels at your address for free if you want.
I print and label at home, then they only need to scan it when you drop it off.

greg_bbs

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can set yourself up as a small business with them for free. Then you get discounted rates, the first $100 of insurance is free, and you can do your customs declarations all online, as well as do your own shipping labels. If you aren't equipped to print them at home, they will print them at the post office for you. It's very straightforward, and you can even get them to pick up the parcels at your address for free if you want.
I print and label at home, then they only need to scan it when you drop it off.
Thank you
How do you receive payments from the US. Apparently, US banks don’t do e-transfers like we do!
I can not get ahold of PayPal to determine what fees I will be charged to receive US dollars here in Canada. Conversion fee? Receiving fee? Withdrawal from PayPal account fee?
Sorry for all the questions! I’ve never sold and shipped to someone in the US.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I primarily use PayPal, it's been a while as I have been doing more trades than sales as of late, but, if memory serves, the fee for receiving when there is currency conversion is 30 cents, conversion fee is 4%, and withdrawal fee to your bank account is 1.75%, with a minimum of 25 cents and a max of $25.

greg_bbs

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I primarily use PayPal, it's been a while as I have been doing more trades than sales as of late, but, if memory serves, the fee for receiving when there is currency conversion is 30 cents, conversion fee is 4%, and withdrawal fee to your bank account is 1.75%, with a minimum of 25 cents and a max of $25.
Thank you

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I primarily only use Canada post. The package gets handed over to USPS once it clears customs. Having a solutions for small business card from Canada post will save you a few dollars. The card is free to get.
Shipping to the US from Canada is usually cheaper than going the other way, from the US to Canada.
As mentioned you can do the declaration and shipping paperwork online and print a label or do it at the post office.
As for receiving funds from the US, PayPal is the easiest and quickest plus the fees are minor.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the Solutions for Small Business with Canada Post is great
I have shipped to Finland,and Italy with zero issues.
I also send labels to others to ship to me.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the Solutions for Small Business with Canada Post is great
I have shipped to Finland,and Italy with zero issues.
I also send labels to others to ship to me.
The return labels are the handiest things ever!

greg_bbs

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A big thank you to all!
I opened a Canada Post small business account as suggested.
Simple, fast and easy. The chainsaw is wrapped in 20 feet of bubble wrap and the empty space in the box was filled with styrofoam as recommended. Apparently, Canada post and US PS like to have competitions of who can be rougher with the packages! It’s on its way to its new home.
Thank you

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. I have received many packages recently and some of them I don’t even need tools to open. They are handled so well all I have to do is finish the tear by hand.