Self propelled mower

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So........ I have a younger brother inlaw. He is in need of a push mower. Anyone guide me to what's worth a darn in todays market?

Probably doesn't need to be self propelled. But I figured I'd toss that in the mix as I'm sure his wife will have to use it from time to time.

Steven

Edit: Electric may or may not be a option. I don't know what his run time needs are going to be.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had great luck with a Toro personal pace 22 gasser. I got it second hand from a buddy after the belt had become tired on it. And that was an easy fix. And I put a better mulching blade on it. Looks like an Gater blade. The factory one is kind of lame.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple of the older Toro Super Recyclers. We bag some clippings for use in the vegetable garden. The Super Recyclers have cast aluminum decks. Our are not self propelled, one never was, one I removed the self propelled when it failed. They go for cheap sometimes and the L-head Briggs engines on them last forever.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm beginning to notice a trend........ Garbage picking toro's must be a thing :nusenuse:

I picked this one about four years ago. Had a broken gov spring. I re bent a hook onto it and it's been golden.
:thumbup:

Amazing what some people will throw away...... Can almost guarantee that what they bought to replace it. Was nowhere near the quality of what they threw out for junk.
:smash2:

0712220837b.jpg

Steven

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only decent push mowers I've ever ran is a Snapper Hi Vac Professional self propelled mower and I just got a Toro Recycler Personal Pace mower. The Toro is 5 years old and after cleaning the carb, it's been doing great and the Snapper is 7 or so years old and I've never had to do anything to it, but I changed the blade and turned it into a mulcher. It was by far the most expensive mower I've bought at the time.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because the self propelled system had failed I removed everything associated with it. Including the handle part of the system.

Found it curbside near a 90 gallon garbage can on wheels in an uppity neighborhood.

I hope the guy hadn't taken a break for lunch!

Just kidding. The carb was loose and the main jet was plugged.

The Super Recyclers have the aluminum deck. Toro Super Recycler 004.JPG

Toro Reclcler (1).JPG

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if it was my "brother-in-law" I'd find the cheapest nastiest one on craigslist :D

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if it was my "brother-in-law" I'd find the cheapest nastiest one on craigslist :D

I share a birthday with that brother in law. And he knows I work on junk. So he got an old school manual mower bwahaha! Tuby little *b-word needs to get a work out anyways.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vote is for the lightest non-self propelled mower you can find. I bought a Yardmax 21" this spring and it feels light as a feather. The Briggs engine runs smooth and starts on the first pull usually. Makes my old Craftsman/AYP feel like a lead sled.