WANTED Saw capable of pulling a 24" bar with AUTHORITY

Trader history (0)

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 20" .404 8 pin set up I put together to run on my 395XP-W. I ought to have time to make a sandwich, eat it, and drink a coke, before the other guys I cut with are done.
Haha I bet so.

how57

It’s a city! Not a smoke!
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a project saw...I've never owned a saw bigger than 54cc and I am finding myself more and more in need of something that can pull a 24" bar. Really want a 65-75cc + saw, but bigger is always better so I would certainly not turn anything away. Partial to Poulans and Pioneers, but would consider anything in my (admittedly diminutive) price range of under $200. Maybe a big old Homelite? I am going to have to sell and trade off some stuff to come up with that cash, plus whatever I need to make it a runner. Would love to find something that I can buy a bar and chain for, a carb kit and maybe some odds and ends and have an ugly duckling ripper for the winter and spring. I have some Dayton branded Poulan Micros and a Poulan Pro 5020 that I have become bored with that I would be willing to offer up in trade, partial of course, if anyone might be interested in them.

Help me break through the 3-cube wall, its holding me back!
Did you ever find what you were looking for?

Howard

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you ever find what you were looking for?

Howard

I have a 61cc Poulan 3700 arriving today. I little smaller than what I was looking for...but its in real nice shape and the price was right. After some discussion with other Poulan fans, the general consensus is that it will be perfectly fine pulling a 24" bar, maybe not with "authority" like I really hoped for but with a muffler mod and compression increases that should be cleared up. It came to me at roughly $80 less than what you and I discussed for your 041- which was an amazing deal and very generous, however I was selling junk and scrapping to come up with "spare" cash to buy this without having to ask the wife's permission...so that $80 was a big hill to climb.

I may regret settling for something 10cc's less. Plus, yours had a B&C mounted to it...this one is coming PHO. So that could be my $80 right there as well. I'll just have to see how this one performs for me. I have two other saws to sell, so who knows, I might be back in the market again in a couple of months.

how57

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 61cc Poulan 3700 arriving today. I little smaller than what I was looking for...but its in real nice shape and the price was right. After some discussion with other Poulan fans, the general consensus is that it will be perfectly fine pulling a 24" bar, maybe not with "authority" like I really hoped for but with a muffler mod and compression increases that should be cleared up. It came to me at roughly $80 less than what you and I discussed for your 041- which was an amazing deal and very generous, however I was selling junk and scrapping to come up with "spare" cash to buy this without having to ask the wife's permission...so that $80 was a big hill to climb.

I may regret settling for something 10cc's less. Plus, yours had a B&C mounted to it...this one is coming PHO. So that could be my $80 right there as well. I'll just have to see how this one performs for me. I have two other saws to sell, so who knows, I might be back in the market again in a couple of months.
When your back in the market, message me. I'm considering selling my rat rod. MS 460 with a 044 tank. One flippy cap, one screw cap, with a maxflow air filter. The tank is off set from the engine so you can't put an air filter cover on. I used it this weekend with a 32" on it and it pulled great. Not much to look at but dose she cut.

Thanks, Howard

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When your back in the market, message me. I'm considering selling my rat rod. MS 460 with a 044 tank. One flippy cap, one screw cap, with a maxflow air filter. The tank is off set from the engine so you can't put an air filter cover on. I used it this weekend with a 32" on it and it pulled great. Not much to look at but dose she cut.

Thanks, Howard
Bar oil don't leak out of a flippy cap as bad as fuel anyways

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds awesome, I love beater/rat rod saws. Nothing better than showing people up with a saw that their first impression of was less than stellar. Part of the reason I love having Poulans around.

how57

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds awesome, I love beater/rat rod saws. Nothing better than showing people up with a saw that their first impression of was less than stellar. Part of the reason I love having Poulans around.
She's a little dusty at the moment, I ran her quite a bit last weekend and haven't had a chance to blow it off. To be honest with you I can't remember what's under the top cover. I built this saw out of left over parts. image.jpegimage.jpeg

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She's a little dusty at the moment, I ran her quite a bit last weekend and haven't had a chance to blow it off. To be honest with you I can't remember what's under the top cover. I built this saw out of left over parts. View attachment 44430View attachment 44431

if i had the extra money and you put a price on it that saw would be in transit

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know, I know....I haven't even gotten to run it yet tho...

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know, I know....I haven't even gotten to run it yet tho...

But think of the authority...

:)

On the other hand, take your time. This thread has probably showed that there's saws out there whenever a guy is ready. I always fall into the trap of: "this (whatever I've convinced myself I need this time) is such a good deal, I've gotta scramble and buy it RIGHT NOW", when in reality, there'll be other suitable models when I'm in a better position to buy. I did buy a trailer on short notice yesterday. Think i got a great deal, but maybe I just followed my knee-jerk reaction and got a regular deal.

DrewUth

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But think of the authority...

:)

On the other hand, take your time. This thread has probably showed that there's saws out there whenever a guy is ready. I always fall into the trap of: "this (whatever I've convinced myself I need this time) is such a good deal, I've gotta scramble and buy it RIGHT NOW", when in reality, there'll be other suitable models when I'm in a better position to buy. I did buy a trailer on short notice yesterday. Think i got a great deal, but maybe I just followed my knee-jerk reaction and got a regular deal.

And of course I worry about that a hair when I look back on jumping on a 61cc saw when I would rather have had a 70cc unit...but I still have to run it. I might be overly obsessed with displacement haha :rolleyes:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As to the original poster, a Poulan 3.4 to 3.7 might work for you as well and under your budget as well.
So could a Poulan 4000 for that matter. These saws are brutes and pull a 24" bar very well. I have one with low hours on it. What's the budget?

Wait a minute, I really don't want to sell this big puppy:

Do I? Probably not.