Ronie's 660 kit saw

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many of the Cross cylinders ran well, they were NOT BB.

I think a lot of the AM cylinders have poor transfer ports.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder how many oem cylinders have been thrown out because their new hot rod BB cylinder “runs so much better”.
Especially the Husky/Jred 48mm cylinders on the 2165 & 365 Special. Those OEM cylinders run pretty good IMO.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've swore off AM cylinders multiple times and like a crack head I keep falling to the temptation. They are good to practice porting on and for most of them that's it.

I'm sure there's some goods one out there but I don't know how to tell the good from the bad..

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've not been able to get any of the AM 440 BB cylinders to run as well as I'd like.

I do have 4 OEM cylinders that I plan to play with in the future, but no time now. (044, 440, 046, 460).

I my go with one of the smaller cylinders first, as sometimes it seems 460 cylinders are hard to make run right on 440s.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've not been able to get any of the AM 440 BB cylinders to run as well as I'd like.

I do have 4 OEM cylinders that I plan to play with in the future, but no time now. (044, 440, 046, 460).

I my go with one of the smaller cylinders first, as sometimes it seems 460 cylinders are hard to make run right on 440s.
Do you have any 361 cylinders? I've got one of them kits and I'd like to put and OEM one on it if I can.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder how many oem cylinders have been thrown out because their new hot rod BB cylinder “runs so much better”.
I keep all my oem cylinders! Especially when they're fixable.
I hope people aren't tossing them for AM parts. I have a couple that are even missing chrome, incase plating becomes doable again.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've swore off AM cylinders multiple times and like a crack head I keep falling to the temptation. They are good to practice porting on and for most of them that's it.

I'm sure there's some goods one out there but I don't know how to tell the good from the bad..

I've had some very good luck with both cheap and pricey AM cylinders, the one thing I always do is use Cabers rings.
I don't know about anyone else but I have my OEM saws or classic saws and then I have my fleet of scrap/junk yard saws that would more than likely be Toyota wheels if I wouldn't have picked them up , so just being able to build a old broken saw from new clean parts is the goal.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had some very good luck with both cheap and pricey AM cylinders, the one thing I always do is use Cabers rings.
I don't know about anyone else but I have my OEM saws or classic saws and then I have my fleet of scrap/junk yard saws that would more than likely be Toyota wheels if I wouldn't have picked them up , so just being able to build a old broken saw from new clean parts is the goal.
I've also had some good luck using Hyway cylinders to get saws going, they ran good but probably not as good as OEM. The Hyway I ported and put on my 288 ran very good.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, its like this ;if I am going to cut down a dangerous tree for forestry or property management I more often take an OEM or well used saws. If I'm cutting fire wood in the back yard ... well I'll play around with anything .
I'd have to cut ALOT of trees with any saws ,to even remotely catch up to with what I've cut with my ProMac 700.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 6 OEM cylinders I plan to play with (eventually), not counting the early 880 that I have the whole saw, B+C (41" 404).

The play cylinders are 044,440, 046(D), 460, 066 (decomp), 660.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a quick cut with the OEM cylinder, it's faster, more torque and just feels so much better in the cut and it's not even tuned, just one turn out on the screws. Them other cylinders are turds compared to the OEM one that has almost nothing done to it.

Now you need to try to match the AM to the OEM and learn what makes OEM so good as far as ports and combustion chamber go.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took pictures and some width measurements of OEM vs AM 395. Big difference. The AM had significantly narrower transfer tubes, but similar uppers. The big bore version unnecessarily had even narrower tubes because they moved the inner tube wall to make room for more bore when there's enough material to have left it like the 56mm and bored it larger.

395OEMvsAM2.png 395OEMvsAM.png

And the AM passes less than half the air through the fins than the OEM.
DSC04629 (640x384).jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you ever do a close side by side comparison to figure out why the OEM was so much better?
Yep. The meteor has a corner that protrudes too far into the main transfers. Can feel it and see it with a mirror but it’s inaccessible from the inside. Could grind through from the outside and patch it afterwards but it would still be difficult to grind the jb from the inside

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered another 660. My buddy tried out mine and decided he wanted one...