Repair it or replace it? 272 crankcase

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am tearing down this 272 and notice bar oil inside the crankcase. Looks like something 20180413_085600.jpg 20180413_154214.jpg had punched a hole through it and someone repaired it using silicone maybe. It was clear yellowish and soft. Whatever it was, it didn't do the job. The hole is on both halves.

I was gonna try some JB weld. Will it hold or am I wasting my time.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you clean it up real good and sand the area around the hole real good, you should be able to get good service life there with a JB Weld patch. That's a pretty big hole though- the most desirable fix of course is a new set of case halves.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you clean it up real good and sand the area around the hole real good, you should be able to get good service life there with a JB Weld patch. That's a pretty big hole though- the most desirable fix of course is a new set of case halves.

Wonder if one of the good welders could fix those?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it were my own and I felt inclined to experiment I might try some JB weld. But due to the potential for having to tear it all the way down if it doesn't hold I would probably just get new or good used cases and be done with it.

Customer job?? Replace it, no question about it in my opinion. Unless of course the customer wants to try a repair and is fully aware that it may not last.

dougand3

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I vote for new case halves. How did that big hole get there? Owner changing oil pickup thru oil fill hole and serious bopping?