Random Thought Of The Day

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't make it your job, because then it will be work...

Interesting you say that-It was my job for a while. It was hard, exhausting work. But I still enjoyed it like few other jobs I’ve ever had. Somewhere the allure of chasing multi-billion dollar mega projects got me and I worked on a few, it was fulfilling but then I got tired of it and decided to work for myself, and I’ve done well at that. Now I’m at the point where I feel like its time for another change.

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had to mess with animals, except to get other people’s hackney ponies under control. Mean little bastards-and dogs get confused when you tell them to herd something that looks like a horse. Other than that it was wrench on equipment, make square bales, mow grass, build fence, move some dirt sometimes, repeat. Come late summer and early fall we’d work with the neighbors to harvest their stuff. It was a good upbringing.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why are carrots good with peanut butter but gross in spaghetti?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting you say that-It was my job for a while. It was hard, exhausting work. But I still enjoyed it like few other jobs I’ve ever had. Somewhere the allure of chasing multi-billion dollar mega projects got me and I worked on a few, it was fulfilling but then I got tired of it and decided to work for myself, and I’ve done well at that. Now I’m at the point where I feel like its time for another change.
I grew up pulling tits on a dairy farm, and couldn't get out of there quick enough. I still work as an estimator for a big civil firm, but I live in the same house I grew up in. No dairy cattle, but beef and yard birds in my back yard.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Uncle had a 125 acre dairy farm in upstate NY, and I have fond memories of going up every year to help with the haying.

His bailer did not have a kicker, so we would follow it around and throw the bails on the hay wagons.

Others were in the barn with the conveyor stacking the bails.

Other relatives joined us, but it was a good thing my Aunt and Uncle had 7 kids!

My Dad used to say that some of his Daughters could out work any Man!

I also loved going up to hunt woodchucks with the 22s, and later (when I got older) to deer hunt.

There were always a lot of big deer up there (farm fed!).

The farm was always my favorite place to go!

This was the first deer I got with the bow in 1983. He dressed at 175.

That was my 1980 Pinto Station Wagon which also hauled all my wood! PU Trucks were not allowed on the Parkways back then.

The other pics are from May 2004. My Aunt and Cousin, my 2000 GT Feature Car in Zinc Yellow (only 917 built), our Dog Bailey (My Aunt loved when she visited), and the barn I remember being used to store the hay (in better days).

Attachments

• BowBuck1983.jpg
    BowBuck1983.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0139.JPG
    100_0139.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0143.JPG
    100_0143.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0144.JPG
    100_0144.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0149.JPG
    100_0149.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 30

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We worked just under 2700 acres. In the summer we employed 10-12 people and would supply the entire area with timothy. Some of it was cropland and we logged the rest, the north side of the place was too steep to farm. It’s been split up between the brothers now but it’s still worked. As far as square bales go, we kicked for a long time and then were one of the first people in the area to get an accumulator and grapples. Two loaders with decent operators and grapples save a lot of heartache, at least getting the stuff to the buildings.

I ended up working for that huge outfit out of Omaha out west for a while. Turned out that I liked moving dirt more than bridge/marine construction.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make any kind of backup of Your phones phonebook/contacts!

My phone of 11 years died a couple days ago, only about 30% of my contacts are on the Sim card, the remainder must be on the dead phone! :confused:

Be mindful, be very mindful!

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that Philbert likely has a thread on those Harbor Freight Chan sharpeners, somewhere.
He's good about rounding up that stuff.