Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I would pop in after an extended absence and say hello to the few folks I semi regularly interacted with in the past. The last year has been tough on everyone and on top of Covid I had a number of family issues that took me away from all the things I love including saws.

We left our house in Hawaii 8 months ago to go to our daughter's wedding in Alaska and we have never made it back. Shortly after the wedding my oldest son fell off the wagon, ended up in a hotel drinking half gallons of vodka at a go for a week straight, and ended up in the emergency room in Juneau almost dead. Not his first rodeo and years of this behavior have taken their toll. He pulled through only to find out he had contracted an MSSA infection in the hospital and had to stay an additional month for daily IV antibiotics. He got out in September and unknown to anyone the infection wasn't fully cleared from his system so a month later he was back in the hospital in Anchorage after being medevaced from Juneau on LifeFlight. His kidneys had shut down and he was in a coma for 3 weeks. They kept him on 24/7 dialysis for 5 weeks. His heart developed problems, liver is shot, etc etc. Aside from the infection 15-20 years of substance and alcohol abuse has already taken its toll and left him vulnerable to all kinds of issues.

On top of that my wife had a knee replacement in October and within a week was back in the emergency room 4 times with chest pains and other symptoms. They ruled out heart issues but to this day aren't really sure what hit her.

It was while she was fighting this that my son ended up back in the hospital. Almost too much for me to cope with.

My son finally got out of the hospital just after New Years and had no where to go so ended up in the tiny B&B we rented because we had sold our house here in Alaska to our other son in September and we had no where else to go.

I didn’t want to be left out so in late November I slipped and fell on the ice and jammed my right arm up into my shoulder really bad, and if that wasn’t enough I did almost the exact same thing again 2 weeks later during a bout of freezing rain. Turns out I destroyed my rotator cuff. I have seen the orthopedic surgeon that did my wife’s knee and he is going to try and fix me up but it has to wait for my wife to get her other knee replaced in mid March and then recover so probably early May. I might get cleared to fly back to Hawaii in time to have been gone almost an entire year.

I know this sounds like a bad country western song and I am not looking for sympathy here, just checking back in and hoping to be able to rejoin the great group of people here.

I know everyone is suffering now to some degree or another and I wish everyone well.

Regards

Michael

Only liked for you high level of perseverance and dedication.

Dealing with the horror and controlling the terror were the big hurdles. It takes some time, and then you become a 'vet'. - Then, if you survive, you get chucked back into a society that doesn't have a clue what you have experienced or become. You're forever different to those around you. Some make it back into the 'society' with their own private ways of dealing with things, others don't.

Count yourself lucky that you missed out.

http://northwestvets.com/spurs/shulze.htm

Thank you for your service and that's one hell of a good read their.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only liked for you high level of perseverance and dedication.

Thank you for your service and that's one hell of a good read their.

Wow, thanks Wayne

I will pass the thanks on to the little woman

(Edited to acknowledge that you were thanking Terry Syd for HIS service

My bad)

She’s the one that did 25 years and set us up for what we still hope is a nice retirement

I just followed her around for 25 years

Your sentiments are very kind and folks like you are the reason to keep coming back to OPE

Warm regards

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone else had trouble viewing youtube videos embedded in other websites? I can't view stuff on my phone or desktop unless I go straight to YT.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone else had trouble viewing youtube videos embedded in other websites? I can't view stuff on my phone or desktop unless I go straight to YT.
I get video and sound stutter watching YT videos through OPEForum.
When I watch the same video directly on YouTube everything seems fine.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where's the fun in that?! o_O
I don't want to be deaf like my gpa...

...and not really all my hobbies. Some are peaceful. :)

Just all this winter I have kept earplugs around my neck all the time because I'm at least driving my deuce, and usually with saws in the bed. :-D

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I figured I haven't died yet so I must have it figured out. :b1:
I'd almost like to see the Obit write up for that cause of death.

I have yet to find a pack of toilet paper with any instructions printed on it!
Many years ago, I bought some jumbo packs that came packed inside a second bag that had a drawstring.
No danged mention of what ya were s'possed to store in the nifty string bag.
It did mention something about always recycling (uh, but what?) on the inner wrapper.
and naahhh, I didn't try what y'all are probably thinking.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am sidelined for at least the next 6 months and in all likelihood wont be filing, fiddling, or even picking up a saw for the next 12 months

The MRI didn't show the whole picture and when they got in there they found only 1 of the 4 tendons in my rotator cuff was still even partially attached, my bicep was completely torn, and the head of my humerus was jammed up above the cartilage in the socket and had ground out a good amount.

The surgeon said I set a new record for number of anchors used in a single rotator cuff repair...

Apparently I am not invincible

I guess the good news is despite being 65 I have the muscles of someone 25 years younger and all the decades I spent being morbidly obese made my bones super dense and really able to take the anchors and "augments" they used and have a very good chance to heal, assuming I follow instructions and start on a minimum of 3 months of physical therapy

Anywho, I will follow along and live vicariously through you guys so keep running them saws and don't fall on the ice twice in one week...

Carry on

upload_2021-4-17_12-58-19.png

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am sidelined for at least the next 6 months and in all likelihood wont be filing, fiddling, or even picking up a saw for the next 12 months

The MRI didn't show the whole picture and when they got in there they found only 1 of the 4 tendons in my rotator cuff was still even partially attached, my bicep was completely torn, and the head of my humerus was jammed up above the cartilage in the socket and had ground out a good amount.

The surgeon said I set a new record for number of anchors used in a single rotator cuff repair...

Apparently I am not invincible

I guess the good news is despite being 65 I have the muscles of someone 25 years younger and all the decades I spent being morbidly obese made my bones super dense and really able to take the anchors and "augments" they used and have a very good chance to heal, assuming I follow instructions and start on a minimum of 3 months of physical therapy

Anywho, I will follow along and live vicariously through you guys so keep running them saws and don't fall on the ice twice in one week...

Carry on

View attachment 291587
Damn, hopefully you heal up okay. I hate stitches with a passion after a little snafu of my own, but make sure you do your pt. Trust me, speaking from personal experience and for a family member, it'll help out greatly.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have heard so many horror stories about poor outcomes on rotator cuffs and i know a lot are because folks simply dont follow directions

my son in law actually works at the PT place and deals with people that expect to be cured with no pain or effort on their own behalf

Not me

Cheers

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard so many horror stories about poor outcomes on rotator cuffs and I know a lot are because folks simply don't follow directions

my son in law actually works at the PT place and deals with people that expect to be cured with no pain or effort on their own behalf

Not me

Cheers
I haven't had rotator cuff issues cause I'm still a young punk, but my uncle had two rotator cuff surgeries and he's doing pretty well. I have had a fairly major health problem though, and I can say that for some things how "cured" you end up depends largely on how much work you put in to your recovery.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should have brought a 090/090G along, give it to the surgeon and said "Here, this should anchor it well!"! :p

Your shoulder looks like it got stitched back on. :confused:

Sincerest get well wishes! :)