jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here Is my fishing story for the day...I was a bank maggot today. Fist cast I got a massive hit, line went tight and then the typical chinook head shake and then the fish ripped up river against the heavy current and then head shook again, he cam back at me and I almost lost tension as he came back at me as I was cranking as fast a possible! I tried to hold him before he got into the current, the tension didn’t agree with him and a few more shakes he gained stream down river. I was really worried, it must be a big one, so fast and so strong I let him run some more... but he kept getting farther away, I put my thumb on the spool with the fish 100 yards out...I got him to stop for a moment and with another shake he headed down river again! He was moving at a fast clip, he pulled out another 100 yard of line an I said to myself, I had 20 yard left on the spool( cold see the bottom off the spindle) and I decide to give the fish one last fight. I put my thumb or the spool again and didn’t let up, I got him to turn, but at 200 yards out he went parallel for a minute and then the tension was lost! He was gone! But in the instant I was starting to retrieve the line, to. My shock I felt the spinners resistance, I wasn’t sure what happened yet, and my mind started wondering, what was it and why did I still had my spinner. I have unintentionally hooked into the back of many sturgeon and they have a unique fight, but this was much livelier and much quicker, yet I have landed many sturgeon in the 60lb range. And the initial hit was like a Chinook, but it was.almost unstable so I was wondering, then I finally reeled in my spinner and noticed a missing hook! An then thought that was odd, then saw the tube pulled down and was consistent with a Chinook bit pulling against the spinner..then I saw the massive teeth marks against the blade! Have never seen anything quite like that! Have seen some chips and small mark but nothing like This! The more I think the more I wonder..how big was this fish! It felt big!! And here is the broken off hook and tooth marked blade, it must of bit the blade first and had a single hook buried somewhere! View attachment 263480It was a “good” owner hook! And the foil on the back took a hit View attachment 263479
Am still “reeling “ form the experience! Still amped up about it!

That's an awesome story Nathan. I wonder if you snagged a small shark? How far from the salt were you? I had something similar happen two years ago - I was in a buddy's boat and we were a 1/4 mile offshore in front of Yaquina Bay - I was running a saltwater rig with three large single hooks tied 4" apart on a 30" leader with a spinner at the bottom and two drift boat weights tied at the head. I was casting out to run the rig about 20 feet off the bottom, knowing we were in about 50-60' of water. Something hit that rig and just about pulled me out of the boat. I was up against the gunwale most of the time and my buddy helped fight it. We went back and forth with it for about 40 minutes, and at one point it took about 200' of line. Eventually it got off the hook and my entire rig was still intact. We figured I either snagged a shark or a bigger Halibut. My hands and forearms were sore for about two days.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's an awesome story Nathan. I wonder if you snagged a small shark? How far from the salt were you? I had something similar happen two years ago - I was in a buddy's boat and we were a 1/4 mile offshore in front of Yaquina Bay - I was running a saltwater rig with three large single hooks tied 4" apart on a 30" leader with a spinner at the bottom and two drift boat weights tied at the head. I was casting out to run the rig about 20 feet off the bottom, knowing we were in about 50-60' of water. Something hit that rig and just about pulled me out of the boat. I was up against the gunwale most of the time and my buddy helped fight it. We went back and forth with it for about 40 minutes, and at one point it took about 200' of line. Eventually it got off the hook and my entire rig was still intact. We figured I either snagged a shark or a bigger Halibut. My hands and forearms were sore for about two days.
Thanks it was a memorable experience, there are a few fish that do that to you! I have a list of “fish” story /experiences that I won’t forget! My fist big chinook was a 45lb fish and crazy, that was 24 years ago and more than half my live ago but I remember it well. I was fishing in tidewater but up the river, it was Chinook/sturgeon Area, and sturgeon don’t have teeth like a Chinook, and sturgeon don’t bit the spinner like a Chinook, you usually snag there back, on accident. I honestly think it was a bigger Chinook, 50+ pound fish are out there but the numbers are dropping, 3 year ago a 44 pound buck was caught in the same area, and many 50+ fish were caught there in the last decade. It’s always going to be a wonder, it could have been a super strong 25lb fish, a fresh strong buck can be a handful And really surprise you, this just seemed bigger, this fish just didn’t want to slow down, and I will never know, Can only assume, but I have landed may of good size fish and this was different and had some serious power! I will never forget and always wonder! Sometimes the mystery is more of buzz of what could have been! It was exciting! It makes want to fish all the time! The disappointment and wonder plus excitement is addicting, I wish I had video or someone there to share the experience with, but the memory is enough, and I can tell the story! Lol

I will have to tell the story of the day I got a bruise in my stomach catching fish! Lol!

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7 weeks compared to 13 weeks.
af15143ecfd8c40fc454eb06f1e09b8f.jpg
504dc884ce472941aa5560a5becefc6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She tolerates me and I love her

View attachment 263866
That's what a good relationship is all about not to sound too corny. Believe me I just got the 30 year mark the 13th of this month. It hasn't been a yellow brick road as they say. Dang, I'm starting to sound like an old man. Looks as if you got a great start there bud and everyone is all smiles!!:campeon::campeon: