ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Random pics my ass.
Nice Hens and Chickens this year!

One single flush on the right on one single stump. 60 plus lbs. Single best ever wild pic that didn't have legs, nuf said.

View attachment 204085
Missed ten more flushes of hens and chicken maybe 100lb. Too late :mad:
More pics
View attachment 204086
View attachment 204087
Crap!!! I finally put a face to name and didn't realize that you would be a Steve's. I should have had you bring me a little bit of those beautiful hens to try. It's been many years since I've had those. Just got back in to mushroom hunting over the past few years and have been not so lucky with the hens. Cool meeting you and chatting!

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is that a super old Mendocino/California Cypress? That looks like a Leylandii(A hybrid of Monterey and Nootka cypress). AKA Leyland Cedar. Super fast growing. Though I can't imagine it being nearly as fast growing in Cali unless it was on the coast. We get more than 30" rain a year here.

I assumed this was a Leyland when I first saw it, but it's way big for one, and on an estate where many trees are over 200 years old - so could be slow growing. So might actually be a California transplant. It's about 10' DBH. There's another one that's very similar to yours...I'll try and find it or get a pic of it.

168994343.1xBiyWLU.DSC00712.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Crap!!! I finally put a face to name and didn't realize that you would be a Steve's. I should have had you bring me a little bit of those beautiful hens to try. It's been many years since I've had those. Just got back in to mushroom hunting over the past few years and have been not so lucky with the hens. Cool meeting you and chatting!
I brought the spalted wood samples but completely forgot to bring some hen and chicken, my bad :(

Everything is now frozen for winter. Next fresh flush some can be mailed out. Mushroom s don't know their in a box. They just think it is another solar eclipse or a long nasty storm with an overcast day ;)

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a super old Mendocino/California Cypress? That looks like a Leylandii(A hybrid of Monterey and Nootka cypress). AKA Leyland Cedar. Super fast growing. Though I can't imagine it being nearly as fast growing in Cali unless it was on the coast. We get more than 30" rain a year here.

I assumed this was a Leyland when I first saw it, but it's way big for one, and on an estate where many trees are over 200 years old - so could be slow growing. So might actually be a California transplant. It's about 10' DBH. There's another one that's very similar to yours...I'll try and find it or get a pic of it.

168994343.1xBiyWLU.DSC00712.jpg
I actually have no idea. I was driving through Ashland, Oregon when I saw it... I thought it was cool so I snapped a pic.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A pile of goodness to pick. He can deliver, crane truck with a can, and there is spalted white oak and maple to be had. Some are fat, some are long, some are fat and long!
Nice pile of sticks with some cherry separated and a few red cedars down the end all alone, poor lonely sticks :rolleyes:

20191013_100223.jpg 20191013_100255.jpg 20191013_100337.jpg 20191013_100531.jpg
That was the big picture. I have specific pics of more logs close up. Don't ask....I will never tell. You can look and drool.:demon7::eaea::eyepop:

Last edited: