Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, I pulled the trigger on the $160 one for now. Ebay won't release the money to the seller until I get the part since they are so new. Thought for a while on it and decided if the ad is true then I will get the same injector but for $20 more and can keep the one from the truck. You can sell them as cores for more than that. Some the things I don't understand is some of the new ones I looked at still require a core charge. With new built there shouldn't be a core so some folks are making some extra coin rebuilding and selling them separate. I'm getting antsy to have it smoke, but I keep reminding myself it doesn't have to be done all at once.

Only the Tony

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20220319_093843.jpg IMG_20220319_104301.jpg IMG_20220319_134307.jpg IMG_20220320_161621.jpg
Little play day yesterday. Someone needs a haircut and to smile a bit and I'm rocking the stocking cap hair. Two smaller swam free and one came home. Found a rotten seat board as well. Be fixed this week before vacation starts the next.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, I pulled the trigger on the $160 one for now. Ebay won't release the money to the seller until I get the part since they are so new. Thought for a while on it and decided if the ad is true then I will get the same injector but for $20 more and can keep the one from the truck. You can sell them as cores for more than that. Some the things I don't understand is some of the new ones I looked at still require a core charge. With new built there shouldn't be a core so some folks are making some extra coin rebuilding and selling them separate. I'm getting antsy to have it smoke, but I keep reminding myself it doesn't have to be done all at once.
Not trying to hurt any feelings, but I’ve driven/towed with a few 6.0s, and I seriously can’t understand the appeal of them, at all. Am I missing something?? My old 5.9 common rail Cummins would outdo a 6.0 in just about any situation I can think of. Ford has better autos but mine was a manual trans. I’m genuinely curious because I absolutely hate driving them.

davidwyby

Tree feller, axe handle breaker
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not trying to hurt any feelings, but I’ve driven/towed with a few 6.0s, and I seriously can’t understand the appeal of them, at all. Am I missing something?? My old 5.9 common rail Cummins would outdo a 6.0 in just about any situation I can think of. Ford has better autos but mine was a manual trans. I’m genuinely curious because I absolutely hate driving them.
I like them compared to an old auto 12v Cummins or 7.3. Quick throttle response and more power I think. Runs like a gas engine, not laggy and lazy.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like them compared to an old auto 12v Cummins or 7.3. Quick throttle response and more power I think. Runs like a gas engine, not laggy and lazy.
Damn. The ones I’ve driven (‘05-07) had no power under 2,000 rpm, and a ton of lag on the bottom end. Turbos do spool up pretty quick once you get over 2,000 rpm. My dads is a ZF-6 truck and it’s even worse than the autos I’ve driven.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn. The ones I’ve driven (‘05-07) had no power under 2,000 rpm, and a ton of lag on the bottom end. Turbos do spool up pretty quick once you get over 2,000 rpm. My dads is a ZF-6 truck and it’s even worse than the autos I’ve driven.
Hm, our 7.3 at work is a great truck, 20 years old and 200k, nice and solid, no issues, but you have to kick it in the firewall to get it to scoot and floor it completely to get it to go or tow with authority. Both 6.0s we have/had were more responsive around town. I had a ‘98 12v auto that was the same. Never driven a common rail. My current 6.7 is kind of in the middle. It’s real heavy and gets crap mileage so I mostly drive it like the grandpa truck it is.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ford's slushboxes in the 7.3's are chit. The tranny in my brother's 7.3 blew at 100,000 miles (roughly), was built, something (torque converter and/or tranny) failed after 2-3 years, and the tranny blew again a little over a month ago at 185*** (roughly). Granted, the truck is tuned, weighs 9000lbs unloaded, and regularly pulled an 8000lb machine so it was hauling ~20,000lbs pretty often but for a built tranny to fail after fifty some-odd thousand isn't cool. Long story short my brother put a 6-speed in it so the tranny will never fail again and he's pretty happy with it (for now). Another friend with a 7.3 that's nearing 175-200,000 has a slushbox that's on it's way out, so at least in the 7.3's I disagree with your "Ford has better autos" statement.
@davidwyby Are you talking about the Ford 6.7 or a different one, 'cause the Ford 6.7's I've driven and ridden in haul azz loaded and unloaded?

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ford's slushboxes in the 7.3's are chit. The tranny in my brother's 7.3 blew at 100,000 miles (roughly), was built, something (torque converter and/or tranny) failed after 2-3 years, and the tranny blew again a little over a month ago at 185*** (roughly). Granted, the truck is tuned, weighs 9000lbs unloaded, and regularly pulled an 8000lb machine so it was hauling ~20,000lbs pretty often but for a built tranny to fail after fifty some-odd thousand isn't cool. Long story short my brother put a 6-speed in it so the tranny will never fail again and he's pretty happy with it (for now). Another friend with a 7.3 that's nearing 175-200,000 has a slushbox that's on it's way out, so at least in the 7.3's I disagree with your "Ford has better autos" statement.
@davidwyby Are you talking about the Ford 6.7 or a different one, 'cause the Ford 6.7's I've driven and ridden in haul azz loaded and unloaded?

for the 7.3 auto trans you need one by John wood down here.

6.7 derge! All fords at work but I drive dodges. It gets pretty good, I’m just talking about laziness vs. responsiveness. First time I got on it to pull out of a driveway into traffic on a busy street it surprised me.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
for the 7.3 auto trans you need one by John wood down here.

6.7 derge! All fords at work but I drive dodges. It gets pretty good, I’m just talking about laziness vs. responsiveness. First time I got on it to pull out of a driveway into traffic on a busy street it surprised me.
The guy that built the tranny builds autos for offroad/King Of the Hammers racers, so he knows his stuff, Jim Galatioto/ATO Transmissions is the guy's name. My brother is a lead foot and hammer down kinda guy so that factored in as well, but after hearing of two slushboxes that didn't do so hot I'm kinda leery of them. Ford's new 6.7 is pretty damn peppy, in a mock race a bone stock empty 6.7 crew cab long bed kept pace and possibly had a tiniest edge on an empty extended cab 7.3 with a tuner, built auto and HD torque converter, and with a load behind them a 6.7 can do passing speeds up in the hills by me. (The previous info is all second hand info from reliable sources, fyi.) I've chirped the tires on a stock 6.7 pulling out from a stop sign too fast, provided you press the pedal to the floor and don't stomp it they'll accelerate like a gasser suv, and go close to the same speeds to boot.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The guy that built the tranny builds autos for offroad/King Of the Hammers racers, so he knows his stuff, Jim Galatioto/ATO Transmissions is the guy's name. My brother is a lead foot and hammer down kinda guy so that factored in as well, but after hearing of two slushboxes that didn't do so hot I'm kinda leery of them. Ford's new 6.7 is pretty damn peppy, in a mock race a bone stock empty 6.7 crew cab long bed kept pace and possibly had a tiniest edge on an empty extended cab 7.3 with a tuner, built auto and HD torque converter, and with a load behind them a 6.7 can do passing speeds up in the hills by me. (The previous info is all second hand info from reliable sources, fyi.) I've chirped the tires on a stock 6.7 pulling out from a stop sign too fast, provided you press the pedal to the floor and don't stomp it they'll accelerate like a gasser suv, and go close to the same speeds to boot.
No complaints about my ‘16 6.7 PS. Except for the fuel mileage. :confused: Doing 55 up a 6% grade @ 25,000 lbs gross in a stock truck (w/ 35” tires) is kinda cool though.

Only the Tony

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 7.3 with a ZF5 before 03 6.0 and prefer hauling with the 6.0 anymore. One reason is the hate for the early ones because of all the problems, but most were fixed with changes made by 07. This has driven the price down over the 7.3 and 6.7 and if you want a truck for the farm you can pick one up at a relatively lower price than any other. Hard to justify taking a loan for a newer diesel when I can be in this for less than $5000 if I were to keep it and fix the motor and body as well. I mainly haul a boat, hay trailer and occasionally a goose neck cattle trailer so I can justify the need for a diesel.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, the 4r100 with the 7.3 is terrible. If you are putting around in the hay field and you dare turn the AC on the trans will overheat and push all the trans fluid out the vent. Stock 7.3 psd are dogs regardless of transmission. I'd take a stock 6.0 over a 7.3 any day. The 6.0 will pull harder and smoother stock to stock or equally modded in my experience. A 6.0 unreliable? 100k miles of towing before a big repair bill ain't bad. Out 6.0 went 175k before a major repair. Way more 6.0s still on the road than 7.3 or 6.4 ford's.

Ford 6.7 with the 6speed auto is hands down the winning combination for Ford in my experience. Pulled this load up a 7 mile long 7% grade 70mph and it didn't even care!

20171009_161436.jpg

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To all you 5.9 cummins lovers.
Google 53 block and vp44,, and that auto trans,,the killer dowel pin aka KDP
Had all,, ran that dodge rite outta money.
5.9 great engine i guess.
Some junk is better than other junk
You just gotta know which to avoid. My 12v and stick got beat hard for a long time, on road and off, 40" tires, yadda yadda.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 7.3 with a ZF5 before 03 6.0 and prefer hauling with the 6.0 anymore. One reason is the hate for the early ones because of all the problems, but most were fixed with changes made by 07. This has driven the price down over the 7.3 and 6.7 and if you want a truck for the farm you can pick one up at a relatively lower price than any other. Hard to justify taking a loan for a newer diesel when I can be in this for less than $5000 if I were to keep it and fix the motor and body as well. I mainly haul a boat, hay trailer and occasionally a goose neck cattle trailer so I can justify the need for a diesel.
I almost got a 6.0 when I got my dodge 6.7...then we had to put injectors in the 6.0 at work. $1800 just for parts. Luckily our in house mechanic is capable...fingers crossed I don't have major troubles with the 6.7. It gets such poor mpg, I wonder if I shouldn't have just gotten gas...

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To all you 5.9 cummins lovers.
Google 53 block and vp44,, and that auto trans,,the killer dowel pin aka KDP
Had all,, ran that dodge rite outta money.
5.9 great engine i guess.
Some junk is better than other junk

My ‘99 is a 53 block with the VP44 (original) and my truck is at 376k and climbing everyday. Some were built better than others.