Random pics (that you took) thread...

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went ride today to test the cone intake, it made a nice improvement, not huge gains but definitely a gain. And apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruined the day826278DD-9EBB-4B36-9E9B-61EDFC821BCC.jpeg014CB09F-1812-47B8-994A-E5F5E933D0B9.jpegEB7D5E46-1B0F-4D43-8CC4-7999F6DC7783.jpegAnd apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruin the day3B680FAF-0FED-4F54-BF2F-822C85F08E6D.jpegWhat really sucks if I bought the transmission so I wouldn’t ruin cases! And look what happened anyway! Looks like I’m gonna have to start cryo-treating everything! hopefully he will sell me the gear I need. He typically sells them as a complete unit, hopefully he’ll make an exception commoner otherwise I’m gonna have to go to stock transmissions cryoed, which work good.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went ride today to test the cone intake, it made a nice improvement, not huge gains but definitely a gain. And apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruined the dayView attachment 285063View attachment 285064View attachment 285065And apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruin the dayView attachment 285067What really sucks if I bought the transmission so I wouldn’t ruin cases! And look what happened anyway! Looks like I’m gonna have to start cryo-treating everything! hopefully he will sell me the gear I need. He typically sells them as a complete unit, hopefully he’ll make an exception commoner otherwise I’m gonna have to go to stock transmissions cryoed, which work good.

Damn. That totally sucks Nathan! Looks like another build thread...:D

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went ride today to test the cone intake, it made a nice improvement, not huge gains but definitely a gain. And apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruined the dayView attachment 285063View attachment 285064View attachment 285065And apparently I found the limits of this billet transmission! LOL pretty much ruin the dayView attachment 285067What really sucks if I bought the transmission so I wouldn’t ruin cases! And look what happened anyway! Looks like I’m gonna have to start cryo-treating everything! hopefully he will sell me the gear I need. He typically sells them as a complete unit, hopefully he’ll make an exception commoner otherwise I’m gonna have to go to stock transmissions cryoed, which work good.

Seeing that it's broke and no longer any good, you should just dispose of it by sending the whole thing to central Wisconsin..
I just happen to know a guy!
Pretty crazy your breaking gears like that.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn. That totally sucks Nathan! Looks like another build thread...:D
It would have been better if it was just the gear, but the cases suck! I have lots of parts but still! Ya it’s going to be a rebuilt for sure, this is the very reason I spent the extra money for the better gear set, was so I would not half to replace cases! These are bad!!!
Seeing that it's broke and no longer any good, you should just dispose of it by sending the whole thing to central Wisconsin..
I just happen to know a guy!
Pretty crazy your breaking gears like that.

I have been preparing for this potential issue for a while...9E045800-7803-4D0E-A2BB-1BA8E1A1C1A6.jpegE95324D1-187B-47EE-AAA0-B2A4646E0A45.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took some old telepoles we had kicking around the shop yard forever up the mountains to a friend of my mom’s for erosion control. Picked up 3 tamarix logs on the way back and did some cookies, saw test n tune instead of just working.

A0D869ED-E746-4CAC-8908-15179AFF7B97.jpeg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would have been better if it was just the gear, but the cases suck! I have lots of parts but still! Ya it’s going to be a rebuilt for sure, this is the very reason I spent the extra money for the better gear set, was so I would not half to replace cases! These are bad!!!

I have been preparing for this potential issue for a while...View attachment 285083View attachment 285084

Worst part is you know you can't go back to the lesser tune because you know how well it runs now! Are billet steel gears an option?

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
6:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert by any means Bigmac. But cryo-treating seems to me would cause your replacement gear to fail quicker. As it failed on the thin spline part of the gear. Wouldn't that make it even more susceptabile to breakage, brittleness. That treatment is well proven for sure and gives good results to thicker pieces and tooth profiles for sure. Just asking??

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert by any means Bigmac. But cryo-treating seems to me would cause your replacement gear to fail quicker. As it failed on the thin spline part of the gear. Wouldn't that make it even more susceptabile to breakage, brittleness. That treatment is well proven for sure and gives good results to thicker pieces and tooth profiles for sure. Just asking??
According to my understanding of cryo treatment, when cooling the material down to near absolute 0 the material gets packed tighter, from my understanding it doesn’t harden the material if improves the grain structure. So form what I have heard is it improves the strength without marking it more brittle. Maybe having the transmission micro polished would be a good idea too. Might help with the sharp part on the thin metal area

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
86e017415738800d4335b78e5ac32021.jpg

A little bucking, blocking and splitting today with the 254 and a double bit Plumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

According to my understanding of cryo treatment, when cooling the material down to near absolute 0 the material gets packed tighter, from my understanding it doesn’t harden the material if improves the grain structure. So form what I have heard is it improves the strength without marking it more brittle. Maybe having the transmission micro polished would be a good idea too. Might help with the sharp part on the thin metal area
I thought I had a Cat failure analysis manual in PDF format to send you but I don't. It is a good reference source. High powered loupe helps in grain flows and inspections. Hope you get it figured out my man. Just another area of fun that reaches into the back pocket.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

(This post is mostly an excuse to post photos of guns, really)
143031.sbbl2.JPG

25919544.whisper.jpg

Cryo treating was huge in my area in the late 90's. I used to shoot benchrest rifle competitively. I was pretty good at it, and have beaten many legends in the field in club matches(which just shows I'm competent, as they were likely testing stuff as I was).
Never noticed a difference between cryo and non cryo treated barrels, or actions. Didn't notice any more smoothness in operation, any longevity increase in barrel life even with some of the crazy rounds I was using in varminting like the 243 AI pushing 70g bullets to 4,000fps or the 300 SAUM that I hated shooting, or the 220AI Swift which propelled 40g bullets to 4200fps.
They all wore about the same and had about the same accuracy. But guns ain't transmissions. ;)
What made the biggest difference, and by far, was treating the bullets and barrels with moly. They lasted half again longer, and were not more accurate - but were as accurate for longer before needing a cleaning. So for competition, I always used it and never cleaned my barrel during competition. I also noticed you could up the size of the powder charge a bit as well, which would technically make it more consistent form round to round. From my chornograph, it did show less variance in velocity, but I didn't notice any more accuracy over all vs no moly. But, then again, all my barrels were cusotm made, hand lapped and broken in carefully, which might be the most important part.

237261.cannon1.JPG

1056953.243.jpg

This is right before I snarfed purdy bad:

14305525.DrunkenMonkeys3.jpg

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(This post is mostly an excuse to post photos of guns, really)
143031.sbbl2.JPG

25919544.whisper.jpg

Cryo treating was huge in my area in the late 90's. I used to shoot benchrest rifle competitively. I was pretty good at it, and have beaten many legends in the field in club matches(which just shows I'm competent, as they were likely testing stuff as I was).
Never noticed a difference between cryo and non cryo treated barrels, or actions. Didn't notice any more smoothness in operation, any longevity increase in barrel life even with some of the crazy rounds I was using in varminting like the 243 AI pushing 70g bullets to 4,000fps or the 300 SAUM that I hated shooting, or the 220AI Swift which propelled 40g bullets to 4200fps.
They all wore about the same and had about the same accuracy. But guns ain't transmissions. ;)
What made the biggest difference, and by far, was treating the bullets and barrels with moly. They lasted half again longer, and were not more accurate - but were as accurate for longer before needing a cleaning. So for competition, I always used it and never cleaned my barrel during competition. I also noticed you could up the size of the powder charge a bit as well, which would technically make it more consistent form round to round. From my chornograph, it did show less variance in velocity, but I didn't notice any more accuracy over all vs no moly. But, then again, all my barrels were cusotm made, hand lapped and broken in carefully, which might be the most important part.

237261.cannon1.JPG

1056953.243.jpg

This is right before I snarfed purdy bad:

14305525.DrunkenMonkeys3.jpg
Nice equuipment there for sure. Cool barrel knurling for sure. All custom deep pocket stuffers for sure. So snarfing as in drinking greedily or building//buying up all sniper hardware up in Ireland??

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice equuipment there for sure. Cool barrel knurling for sure. All custom deep pocket stuffers for sure. So snarfing as in drinking greedily or building//buying up all sniper hardware up in Ireland??

Psh, I ain't got a tan like that in Ireland. That's me back in Texas.
That first rifle just has a design on the barrl, not real knurling. Came from the factory that way for some reason. Still, a very expensive piece.
I paid less for my last Harley than I did for that rifle. Unlike Harleys, customs guns don't have gret retail. But half of a lot is still a lot.
Snarfing is burping up bubbles of beer.
But you're right about one thing, I spent way too much on competition guns when I was younger.
If I had it to do over again, I woulda spent it on motorcycles instead! Wooo!
Oh wait a minnit, I think I did that, too.
AH yeah.
(Well, technically only two of the bikes in this pic are mine):
165493583.F9DgV3mD.jpg

Also was in to little modded cars for SCCA back when:

170762294.VUnGpMLc.jpg

That hair is dead sexy!

Getting arrested again in Texas:

14300703.d94yelshift.jpg

Body cam footage of my last arrest when I was stealing a Lambo:

170716698.GzRF1ZMJ.jpg