Question for Loggers and Timber Fallers

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this offends mechanical loggers, but I basically call them tree farmers. Alot of new logging contractors around here never started by setting chokers, hand felling and bucking, working outdoors in inclement weather. They go to the local heavy equipment dealer and go 1 million to 2 million in debt, then sit in cabs 12 hrs a day and go home and tell everyone they are "loggers". Yea a pet peeve of mine

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will never replace a hand faller fully it just a fact, tethering has definitely put a dent on the amount of hand cutting tho, I have yet to see a unit that was tethered that didn't need some sort of hand falling.
It is fun to watch tho they increase production by quite a bit. As far as breaking in out here if it is something you really want to do start making phone calls you never know what will pop up. People are always looking for someone that is honest and just shows up too work everyday. I love cutting timber personally.
20220210_111857.jpg 20220210_111900.jpg 20220210_111902.jpg 20220210_111906.jpg

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this offends mechanical loggers, but I basically call them tree farmers.
It shouldn't offend any one I think if you work in our industry we should all be tree farmers . Cut, log, replant, fertilize, thin, reharvest the next crop is the way I like to look at it

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will never replace a hand faller fully it just a fact, tethering has definitely put a dent on the amount of hand cutting tho, I have yet to see a unit that was tethered that didn't need some sort of hand falling.
It is fun to watch tho they increase production by quite a bit. As far as breaking in out here if it is something you really want to do start making phone calls you never know what will pop up. People are always looking for someone that is honest and just shows up too work everyday. I love cutting timber personally.
View attachment 327197 View attachment 327198 View attachment 327199 View attachment 327200

Taking in a view like can be appreciated more using a saw

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 327197 View attachment 327198 View attachment 327199 View attachment 327200
Im loving all the advice and replies, you have all given me a ton of things to consider, Thank you!

I think as long as you know what you'd be getting into, you'd be fine. It's a great job, one of the best ever as far as I'm concerned. Wildland firefighting and timber falling just about can't be beat.

There's a lot of ups and downs in both occupations, same as other "high risk" jobs like commercial fishing, tree service, high-rise construction, and law enforcement.

I have seen some older guys though decide to be fallers and end up losing everything. One guy's wife divorced him and he ended up homeless for a couple years.

If you're gonna do it - Do it now.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think as long as you know what you'd be getting into, you'd be fine. It's a great job, one of the best ever as far as I'm concerned. Wildland firefighting and timber falling just about can't be beat.

There's a lot of ups and downs in both occupations, same as other "high risk" jobs like commercial fishing, tree service, high-rise construction, and law enforcement.

I have seen some older guys though decide to be fallers and end up losing everything. One guy's wife divorced him and he ended up homeless for a couple years.

If you're gonna do it - Do it now.
Yep JJ, the family issues hit home with me, being away from home for a week straight, then tired when I am home, financial ups and downs, which are more severe than other more stable jobs. So I would say I'm lucky to still be married, especially after my logging injury in 2013 that gave me a TBI and I was having fits of rage and outburst that are not part of my normal personality.

HumBurner

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other side of it is your home life, or lack thereof. My wife is a Saint for putting up with all the time I've en away and me being too tired/busy getting everything in or the next week to want to do g fun when I am home.
This is a highly overlooked aspect of the job.

It's kind of committing to a way of life, like relying on raising animals solely for a living.