High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

"Premium" Piston & Cylinder kits worth it?

Alan Cottrill

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Are the premium piston & cylinder kits in the $130~ price range worth it? My suspicion is that they are made by the same Chinese Children as the $30 ones. What's your experience?

Alan Cottrill

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking for a quality 272 52mm p&c kit for a 61 to 272 conversion. I guess I'm just wondering how the $100+ kits are different than the sub $50 ones

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plating, piston and ring quality, port chamfering.

272 is a pretty nice saw. Worth putting something nice on.

Would suggest a Hyway, Meteor or OEM kit.

The OEM sets have gone up lately but they're still around $200+-

Alan Cottrill

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. Hyway has a kit with a pop-up piston. Anyone know if the cylinder has been machined to make up the difference from where the piston was machined? Any info on the squish measurement?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Hyway 272 squish is 0.040” without a gasket. They run okay considering, but that’s a lousy squish number even with the popup. If you can cut the base they can be tightened up. Lots of other Hyway jugs have a plating gap at the top of the bore but 272 goes all the way.

Get OEM.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the squish info. That's what I suspected. I'm going to find an OEM kit.
Poke around here for a used one. I would put money on it you can come up with good used OEM for similar or less money than you can one of the better aftermarket kits

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be interested in a good OEM for less then 115.00$
I don't understand how a "used" set would be better than say a Meteor?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be interested in a good OEM for less then 115.00$

Used cylinder only. Get a new quality piston of your choice and you'll be in good shape as you'll have OEM ports/timing etc. etc..

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Every AM cylinder I’ve compared to oem had either huge squish, poor port timing, or smaller ports. I figure there’s a reason they all want to sell big bore kits, because they need to in order to get similar power to the smaller oem cylinder

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every AM cylinder I’ve compared to oem had either huge squish, poor port timing, or smaller ports. I figure there’s a reason they all want to sell big bore kits, because they need to in order to get similar power to the smaller oem cylinder

+brittle plating and irregular bore shape.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say every AM cylinder I've seen has been bad, there are some dandys out there though.
Some of the inconsistencies have been favourable as far as setting squish for me without machine work on my 066 the OEM was either 35 or a head slapper ,I mixed a few parts and got 25 not that its a feasible tactic running a business but a hobbyist it was fine.
In contrast an aftermarket 028 cylnder needs an obsessive amount of work just to run reasonably .
Some are better than others, but in life yous buys your ticket and gets your ride , and completely understand why anyone would not recommend a crap shoot . Broad generalization is just not something I like to do.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say every AM cylinder I've seen has been bad, there are some dandys out there though.
Some of the inconsistencies have been favourable as far as setting squish for me without machine work on my 066 the OEM was either 35 or a head slapper ,I mixed a few parts and got 25 not that its a feasible tactic running a business but a hobbyist it was fine.
In contrast an aftermarket 028 cylnder needs an obsessive amount of work just to run reasonably .
Some are better than others, but in life yous buys your ticket and gets your ride , and completely understand why anyone would not recommend a crap shoot . Broad generalization is just not something I like to do.
I didn’t see much difference early on before I became more familiar with what OEM cylinders look like inside. I’m mostly referring to the size and direction of the transfer ports.