Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just took Rob to his follow up appointment and he is doing great! Thanks for the prayers and support everybody!
Saw this pop up and thought the worst. Glad the little guy is doing well.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, he sure is! Thanks for your kindness.
Being an animal-lover, and a tree-hugger, this thread got my attention.
SO glad Rob (and you) made it through that ordeal!

More than 10 years ago, I had two male cats, litter mates, who got the UT blockage in the same year, one got it twice, and the first time happened on the weekend and after googling what the problem might be when I saw him straining to pee, but nothing coming out - death can occur in 24 hours if not treated immediately - I took him to the Emergency vet in the big city 40 miles away. Had a similar experience as already mentioned, Way over priced, and lack of compassion, like a big box store for veterinarians. I think it cost me over $1k... just to tide him over until my regular vet could see him.
I can't remember exactly what my vet charged, but $800 comes to mind... twice for one cat and once for the other. This was for surgery to remove the blockage.

Anyway, he had me give them the special diet food, with the special price tag, which I did for several months until I was sure they were healed.

Then I made up my own concoction/blend of over the counter dry food and, knock wood, none of my cats have had a blockage since.
Part of the problem is cats don't drink a lot of water, they get it in nature from the critters they catch and consume. House cats that eat only dry food need to drink plenty of water.

Here's what I mix up in a 5gal sealable bucket:
91522_MAIN._AC_SS224_V1653492396_.jpg

one 8oz scoop

141824_MAIN._AC_SS224_V1657655541_.jpg

one 8oz scoop

211440_MAIN._AC_SS224_V1675089256_.jpg

one 32oz scoop (ricotta container)
I order from Chewey's and it costs me about $60/month for four cats.

I put the three scoops in the bucket, then stir around a bit, then repeat until the bucket is full.

Hope this helps all the kitties in the group like it has mine! 🐈‍⬛ ❤️

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. His first two bags of food when he got home were the $50.00/8 pounds Royal Canin prescription stuff. I started reading reviews about the OTC urinary formula foods and found that Purina One was highly rated. He and all my cats have been eating it ever since with no problems.