poulan p.o.s. dies at wide open

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not the wild thing, but the same 18" size saw, 42cc i think.
friend gave it to me, it was brand new used for 20 minutes then was given to him. Maybe couple years old.
It's got that double intake thing with two butterflies, wtf it's called.

I had to replace the carb on it along with the stone filter and fuel line into the carb, the oem line chinuh used was rotting away.

So I had it running... last year or year before. I use it like 20 minutes per year. It was running fine.
Used it yesterday, was fine for about the first 15 minutes then when going wide open under load it would

wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... brrrr.. off. As soon as you get the trigger to full, it does a very quick brrr and is off... almost like it had an engine brake.

I got some wood cut until the saw acted up, I thought it might be a heat thing so i let it cool down. Still doing it. It starts right up, and will idle well at a low rpm (i have a digitial tach thing). Everything is ok, other than no power at wide open or sustained wide open. Can't have the throttle trigger completely depressed. Can feather it and get the saw running to 10,000 rpm, but full trigger to cut wood is a no.

what causes this? Is the best fix a .308 @ 100 yds and just buy a stihl? I really don't feel like even getting my hands gassy on thing anymore nor buy another $20 carb off amazon. Problem is i have a handful of 18" pico chains that I can use on this saw, so it 's great if anything needs cutting I don't worry about ruining the chain (or saw).

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Adjusting the high and low needles have any effect?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the low seems to have a reasonable effect.
the high not so much, I can't really get a sustained high speed enough to turn the high speed needle.

i tried doing 1/4 turn on the high each way a few times before going full throttle, was no help.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
leaky diaphragm or pluged high speed jet- ethanol strikes again. you could try running a bunch of seafoam thru it might take a few tank fulls. i have resurreceted a few that way. Pull the muffler and look at piston, if scored up 308 time. Used to be you could get refurbished ones at 1/2 new price.