Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked them up and it clearly states exhaust and intake work, nothing about modifying the transfer ports. So I would expect the gains to be pretty limited.
Do you think there’s any CNC machines that can get into the uppers?

There’s a vid on YouTube of a 5 axis cnc machine doing a race bike engine but you can’t see exactly what it’s doing and it’s obv a lot bigger than a saw.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There’s a vid on YouTube of a 5 axis cnc machine doing a race bike engine but you can’t see exactly what it’s doing and it’s obv a lot bigger than a saw.
it would have to be pretty small. having said that i am not a machinist and dont know dick about cnc machines aside from the ones i have seen in person and they have all had bigger tooling on the end than would fit any thing that small. i cant wait to heaf from the smart fellas that actually know

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
7:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The head used on the 182MC is made for live lathe tooling or mounting into a mill spindle. Some mills have a 4th axis that can control the index of a right angle head like that.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I believe that’s the company that one of the Facebook groups looked into. And the only thing that was CNC controlled was the squish band and bas cuts

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that’s the company that one of the Facebook groups looked into. And the only thing that was CNC controlled was the squish band and bas cuts

Seems like a waste of CNC to be making simple cuts like that. I did see that the base of a cylinder posted had been cut on a mill.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A machine like Moore CNC Jig Grinder, could do a good majority of it , but getting inside cylinder at right angles and such would be so labor intensive, the cost would be crazy,

It's not like it needs a lot of rigidity. It could be done on a desktop 5 axis.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like a waste of CNC to be making simple cuts like that. I did see that the base of a cylinder posted had been cut on a mill.
Definitely. But it’s just like anything else, once someone sees “CNC“, they assume he has it figured out and can get the most out of every saw and have them all be the same. Marketing

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely. But it’s just like anything else, once someone sees “CNC“, they assume he has it figured out and can get the most out of every saw and have them all be the same. Marketing

Just an excuse to charge more for less.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I’ve been thinking it’s all a marketing ploy. I thought that when ripsaw started saying it.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

the 309 guy does base, band, intake, exhaust, and upper transfers all in the machine. Has some special tools made to do 90% of the uppers then hand blends. I did some dyno pulls on his 500i and it is very respectable.