High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Porting and cutting squish on a Hyway Cylinder.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A while back there was mention of issues when cutting Hyway cylinders. Seemed guys where experiencing the chrome lifting after port work. Is this still an issue ? Has anyone had this happen lately ?

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A while back there was mention of issues when cutting Hyway cylinders. Seemed guys where experiencing the chrome lifting after port work. Is this still an issue ? Has anyone had this happen lately ?
I ported a 361 hy way cylinder a couple weeks ago and didn't have any problems. The only thing I noticed was the aluminum seemed softer then oem. The ports on the am cylinder actually looked really good from factory. I have not ran this cylinder yet though.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I know nothing about that (the chipping) - but I see that you mention chrome. However, the HL supply ads says Nikasil, so I assume that's what the plating really is (or is supposed to be).

What the ads I have seen doesn't say is where the kits are made, which make me assume it is in China?

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your jug may be different, but most AM cylinders have plated bands and chambers unlike the OEM.

So you'll need to cut the band on a lathe with a boring bar and carbide cutter.
No issues cutting a nikasil plated chamber on a lathe? I just found what might be a Mahle with a fully plated chamber I want to cut.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a lathe living downstairs. I've just never tried breaking through nikasil with it.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most people were reporting the issues with the newer purple box Titanikel plating.

Hyway has two types of plating, regular nikasil and Titanikel. The regular nikasil cylinders are usually labeled "GX" and typically come in the black/gray box.

Plating a cylinder in Titanikel is a different style of process that makes the plating prone to flaking when grinding on it with incorrect tools/technique. It's incredibly durable otherwise and won't flake under normal conditions at all. You just have to have good technique when working with it.

The process of plating is first plating nickel to the bare aluminum bore and then a layer of titanium. The titanium requires a heat the aluminum can't bear, hence the later of nickel first.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No issues cutting a nikasil plated chamber on a lathe? I just found what might be a Mahle with a fully plated chamber I want to cut.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a plated chamber on an oem jug, except maybe the Husky 562. They certainly may exist, I just haven’t seen it.

I don’t believe the unplated chambers are accidental. Aluminum can transfer heat better when it’s not plated.

Worst/Hardest plating I’ve ever dealt with is Meteor plating. DD gave us some 460 culls with odd intake ports and plated chambers. The chamber plating killed numerous cutter for me. I got to the point where I just gave the rest of the jugs away.

@huskihl had the same problem. The plating was made of Kryptonite.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a lathe living downstairs. I've just never tried breaking through nikasil with it.

On the ones I've cut I let the carbide cutter on the boring bar just sit there without advancement and let it do its thing, when I hear it quiet down advance another thousandth or two and let it sit again and repeat until it finally breaks through.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a plated chamber on an oem jug, except maybe the Husky 562. They certainly may exist, I just haven’t seen it.

I don’t believe the unplated chambers are accidental. Aluminum can transfer heat better when it’s not plated.

Worst/Hardest plating I’ve ever dealt with is Meteor plating. DD gave us some 460 culls with odd intake ports and plated chambers. The chamber plating killed numerous cutter for me. I got to the point where I just gave the rest of the jugs away.

Every 5 series husky has one. 562 is worse than the others. Still not at bad as Meteor 046 and 066 jugs

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure this 2152 cylinder chamber is plated, it made a horrible noise cutting it.

KIMG3587.JPG

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'd think they would want it plated to not transfer heat for more power. I don't know who makes the cylinder, it is off an old Efco.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd think they would want it plated to not transfer heat for more power. I don't know who makes the cylinder, it is off an old Efco.
It’s harder to plate just the wall and leave the chamber bare. Has to be a reason they did it. The newer epa rules may be why they plate the chambers now.