ported 661 baffle in muffler vs baffle out

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems like we have turned into ArboristSite with all this "my saw is faster" *B-S.....

Welcome to 2015.

I refrained from pointing that out much earlier today. Evidently, this place is not as someone says: 2000 guys telling each other how awesome they are.

I stand by my statement. ;)

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can take the time to go back and read what I said instead of trolling and talking about pigs you would see.
It pops when you lift on it so why would I brag about a saw not cutting but turning 13.1?
It pops at 13.1 and I have no idea what it runs cutting and I don't care.

come on Jason. I quoted what you said, read your own post

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that's not what you said earlier

I said I'd rent you a pig, not that I'd rent a pig out to any swinging dick that came along.

Pay attention dammit.

Jason, if you really want help with your saw you need to be straight forward with facts, real data we can work with, your story changes every time you post

He confuses me too.

I don't care if the saw pops or not.

I don't care if it's fast or slow.

I don't care.

You really wanna rent that pig?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me, I like it limited.
It pops on the limiter in the wood at 13.1k so that's fast enough for a work saw I think.
It pops on the limiter in the wood at 13.1k

I guess you can read anything into that you want but wh
It's certainly not to much timing,when I load it it stops.
To much timing is the opposite plus I put it back to stock and it didn't do it as bad but only because it's not as strong.

Once it's warmed up good it stops,it has to be on the limiter.
It pops at 13.1k
The 6 others I've ported like it popped at 13.1k

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32:1 , eth free, 36" .404 RS new chains for both.

no baffle, Dual side ports, port on front cover
43.8 43.7 352F on jug

baffle , dual side ports, port on front cover. (note on the baffle - I already knew a baffled muffler would be slower+hotter, so on this baffle ,dremeled a bunch of 3/16" holes into it...so it almost looked like a 066/660 baffle...didn't change the results. Saw felt like it had less power/torque etc.
44.5, 44.9 380F on jug

this saw is running at or around 8500 rpm in the cut, that's where it pulls it's best cut times. just because a saw will run higher rpm in the wood, doesn't mean it will pull a faster cut time.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
come on Jason. I quoted what you said, read your own post
I said it's popping at 13.1 and the 5 others did at 13.1 to
I only said that because I think it's limiting itself there.
I told you wrong about the carb but even if I didn't it still wouldn't change anything.
I can make it stop with the coil to and the muffler.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
this saw is running at or around 8500 rpm in the cut, that's where it pulls it's best cut times. just because a saw will run higher rpm in the wood, doesn't mean it will pull a faster cut time.
What in the Holy hell are you talking about?
Your the one comparing sawz not me.
I don't give a damn what it's turning or what mine are.

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I'm not arguing but why not? If a saw with more power pulls the same chain with the same pressure applied at a higher rpm then the cut time would be faster?That's all a saw has to cut is chain speed. That's why we run larger sprockets with more power right?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's a few that are trying to make this about something that it's not.

I was asked to make it as fast as I can by the owner and was trying to understand why when it's strongest it pops cold,not all the time,it stops after a few cuts and isn't a problem but I try to contribute as much as I can and as far as porting and saw builds I contribute more than anyone
I don't compare my saws to others but it still seems that the better one runs the more it brings out the haters.
I hear work saw all the time but how slow does one have to be to be a work saw?

I build lots of them I think anyway but I only post about or do threads on the interesting ones to try and be different because after all I do this for a living and if I do the same as everyone else why would anybody hire me?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Iam I missing something here? But I was watching this trying to find a way to make my saws quieter. The loud noises are scary

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a few that are trying to make this about something that it's not.

I was asked to make it as fast as I can by the owner and was trying to understand why when it's strongest it pops cold,not all the time,it stops after a few cuts and isn't a problem but I try to contribute as much as I can and as far as porting and saw builds I contribute more than anyone
I don't compare my saws to others but it still seems that the better one runs the more it brings out the haters.
I hear work saw all the time but how slow does one have to be to be a work saw?

I build lots of them I think anyway but I only post about or do threads on the interesting ones to try and be different because after all I do this for a living and if I do the same as everyone else why would anybody hire me?

I have no idea how the saw you posted runs. I don't think I've ever watched one of your videos.

It's your posts that get my attention.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not arguing but why not? If a saw with more power pulls the same chain with the same pressure applied at a higher rpm then the cut time would be faster?That's all a saw has to cut is chain speed. That's why we run larger sprockets with more power right?

when Julie ann was doing some of his testing I thought he was pulling the rpm down to far for the best cut times. I put the tack on the saw to see where it was at in the cut without letting him see it. he held a very solid 8500 rpm. I then ran the saw watching the tach holding a higher rpm. the cut times were slower.

I can claim the saw will hold a higher rpm in the wood, but with a slower cut time.

keep in mind these vid were made for us to compare mufflers. not to try to impress anyone

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have no idea how the saw you posted runs. I don't think I've ever watched one of your videos.

It's your posts that get my attention.
If I post about one of the saws I build why would that get your attention or affect you in anyway?
I'm not talking about your saws or anybodys other than mine.

How can me talking about a saw I built bother anybody much less you.

I post about the interesting ones and I'm always asked to make it as strong as I can and that's the ones I post about,I have to do it different than you or they would just get you to do it.
I try to do everything I can different and if I say it's a good running saw then it is to me but that doesn't mean it's better or worse than anyone else's.
I say all the time that I'm only speaking about the saws I port.

I asked treemonkey about this in this thread to make content and try to understand it but got immediately told by the main to other builders that it's ported wrong and that is my fault I should have known better.

There's a few people who know how I'm porting them and you wasn't one of them but I appreciate you telling it on the forum to make sure I know that your mad at me.

The biggest Porter ever said he will never do another build thread on his site but I don't know why,who trolls your threads?

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
when Julie ann was doing some of his testing I thought he was pulling the rpm down to far for the best cut times. I put the tack on the saw to see where it was at in the cut without letting him see it. he held a very solid 8500 rpm. I then ran the saw watching the tach holding a higher rpm. the cut times were slower.

I can claim the saw will hold a higher rpm in the wood, but with a slower cut time.

keep in mind these vid were made for us to compare mufflers. not to try to impress anyone

Thats not what I was saying. That is testing rpm against the same saw.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if you move peek torque up to a higher rpm the saw will be faster but with a lower peek torque number. this would be more suited for a shorter bar
I don't care for a very high exhaust on these saws,they get peaky.