Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was too young to remember what blend exactly my Grandpa smoked, but I vividly remember the smell and it had to have been a cherry something. It smelled wonderful.
Years ago before my father stopped smoking, after burying his niece if king cancer at age 47, Dad had switched to a cherry blend. He bought it at the local Walgreens. I stopped by there awhile back and the young clerk did not even know what pipe tobacco was.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was too young to remember what blend exactly my Grandpa smoked, but I vividly remember the smell and it had to have been a cherry something. It smelled wonderful.
My father was a single parent after Mom left when we were young. Friday night was grocery night for us and our grandparents. Back in those days you could still smoke every where. We would have a couple shopping carts up and down the aisles of the old Sun Mart grocery store on 4th and Cedar. He smoked a pipe the entire time. I cannot remember how many women commented on how much they enjoyed the smell. Try that today

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a couple more cobs and giving one a go this morning. The Country Squire Bing and the bottom is a Maddox. Smoking Blood Red Moon.

Have a good weekend, fellas.
IMG_20240524_181808_646.jpgIMG_20240525_091703_336.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Picked up a couple more cobs and giving one a go this morning. The Country Squire Bing and the bottom is a Maddox. Smoking Blood Red Moon.

Have a good weekend, fellas.
View attachment 420665View attachment 420666
Thanks for posting pics of the bing. That’s a nice looking pipe! I was curious about it. Now that I see it’s got a nice long stem I’m sold. I have a Maddox and really like it. I ended up putting a forever stem on it after I chewed up the original green stem up.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting pics of the bing. That’s a nice looking pipe! I was curious about it. Now that I see it’s got a nice long stem I’m sold. I have a Maddox and really like it. I ended up putting a forever stem on it after I chewed up the original green stem up.
I like it. I'm sold on longer stems. I bought a bunch of cobs a month or so ago and the Bing wasn't in stock at the time, but I saw last week it was and wanted it.

Dang pipes and tobacco is as bad as CAD. Lol

Here's a picture of the length next to a tape measure.
IMG_20240525_105003_473.jpgIMG_20240506_111600_915.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like it. I'm sold on longer stems. I bought a bunch of cobs a month or so ago and the Bing wasn't in stock at the time, but I saw last week it was and wanted it.

Dang pipes and tobacco is as bad as CAD. Lol

Here's a picture of the length next to a tape measure.
View attachment 420680View attachment 420683
That’s the perfect length. It’s not so long that your smacking it into stuff while you work but long enough that it smokes nice and cool.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s the perfect length. It’s not so long that your smacking it into stuff while you work but long enough that it smokes nice and cool.
Exactly! That's the first thing I noticed about longer stems, is how much cooler they smoked. I still catch myself getting after it and smoking too fast at times, but it's way more noticeable when I do that, with a shorter stem.

Flavors are much more pronounced with longer stems for me. My favorite cob so far is the Dune Cobbit. That wide, short chamber with the longer stem, is fantastic!

That's the main reason I bought all those cobs, was so I could start experimenting with chamber sizes and stem lengths and find what works best for me, before I start buying more expensive briar pipes.

It's interesting how different pipes can make the same tobacco taste and smoke different.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly! That's the first thing I noticed about longer stems, is how much cooler they smoked. I still catch myself getting after it and smoking too fast at times, but it's way more noticeable when I do that, with a shorter stem.

Flavors are much more pronounced with longer stems for me. My favorite cob so far is the Dune Cobbit. That wide, short chamber with the longer stem, is fantastic!

That's the main reason I bought all those cobs, was so I could start experimenting with chamber sizes and stem lengths and find what works best for me, before I start buying more expensive briar pipes.

It's interesting how different pipes can make the same tobacco taste and smoke different.
That’s a smart move. I did the same thing with cobs before I dropped real money on more expensive pipes.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sutliff 507-S in a MM Salem Woodsman. I really like this stuff, a lot. Bought 5 lbs of it. It hits my palate perfectly. Nice and sweet.
IMG_20240530_192018_124.jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever mix it with anything else?
Not yet. I have some Sutliff TS23 black cavendish and some Sutliff Sweet Virginia bulks as well, but haven't dabbled in blending yet.

I'm trying to spend some time with specific tobaccos, so I can try to hone in on their flavor profiles.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 375247

Having a personal favorite today after work. Rivendell from the country squire is an aromatic blend of black cavendish, Virginia, and burley. It’s a nutty earthy smoke with hints of coco and spicy grassy twang from the Virginia. Little to no tongue bite and tasty to the bottom of the bowl. Smoked in my rusticated Savinelli one. Anyone else a pipe smoker here?
You look like a pipe smoker! Dallas told me to say that!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two friends homeward bound in the cobbit while I listen to the tree frogs this evening. This blend is surprisingly powerful. Kinda snuck up on me a little bit. Good evening smoke but definitely not an all day smoke.IMG_4279.jpeg