Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
That was a very smooth, sweet and chocolatey, creamy tasting blend with a bit of spice every now and again. Not bad at all. I really liked it. It's definitely going on the list. Thanks Brad. I owe ya.

I had to laugh. I went to tobacco reviews and read the description and the reviews and the first review, the guy pointed out 38 different flavors he apparently tasted between the 4 different tobaccos. Dude either has a super palate, or he's full of *s-word. I know my palate doesn't pick up a ton of flavors, with pipe tobacco, or cigars, but dang, how could a person pick up 38 flavors in 1 blend? 😂

Reminds me of a guy I used to know, that we called "Topper". No matter the situation, he just had to one up everyone. That reviewer had to cover every flavor imaginable, just so no one could out taste him. 😂
I’m glad you liked it. I like that one a lot too. As far as taste in the different blends, for the most part, I don’t pick up much more than hints. More like smells or aromas than full blown taste. I can definitely pick out the notes of the different types of pipe tobacco in a blend, but most of the different culinary tastes others experience beyond those I usually miss or only experience vaguely. My smeller got burned out on cow shít when I was younger and has been faulty ever since.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gona try out some Plum Pudding this evening. Do any of you guys cellar in the cardboard containers, like what Plum pudding comes in, or do you move things to jars if it's in that kind of container?
IMG_20230819_172201_919.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gona try out some Plum Pudding this evening. Do any of you guys cellar in the cardboard containers, like what Plum pudding comes in, or do you move things to jars if it's in that kind of container?
View attachment 387460
I leave mine right in the cans they come in. If I open it it gets moved into mason jars

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. I wondered how well it would hold up long term. I've seen videos where some of them are swelled up, but didn't know if anyone had actually had one break, or crack.
I think those containers have been around for awhile and proved to be pretty reliable. You can pinch the top and bottom of a plump can between your thumb and fingers. If there is resistance it’s still sealed. If it gives easily the seal is broken. The flat disk euro style tins will keep tobacco fresh for quite awhile after the seal has been broken. They aren’t as good as Mason jars but they really aren’t far behind. At least as long as that white foam rubber seal stays pliable.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think those containers have been around for awhile and proved to be pretty reliable. You can pinch the top and bottom of a plump can between your thumb and fingers. If there is resistance it’s still sealed. If it gives easily the seal is broken. The flat disk euro style tins will keep tobacco fresh for quite awhile after the seal has been broken. They aren’t as good as Mason jars but they really aren’t far behind. At least as long as that white foam rubber seal stays pliable.

It seems there's quite a few blends that come in those, and Dr. Alan commented on it, so it made me wonder. They seem quite stout. I cut the can and taped the blend name to a mason jar, with the Plum Pudding and it was pretty dang tough, for cardboard. Cellaring in the original container makes more sense to me, but didn't want an issue either.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems there's quite a few blends that come in those, and Dr. Alan commented on it, so it made me wonder. They seem quite stout. I cut the can and taped the blend name to a mason jar, with the Plum Pudding and it was pretty dang tough, for cardboard. Cellaring in the original container makes more sense to me, but didn't want an issue either.
It’s a fair question and one I worried about early on too. It seems most everyone just cellars in the og tin.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those tins and cardboard foiled lined whatever

They are designed to sit on the shelf for years. Kept in a halfway decent area they should be fine?

Now once I open something. Jar to keep airtight. That’s what makes sense to me anyhow

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a fair question and one I worried about early on too. It seems most everyone just cellars in the og tin.

To be honest, Alan was the first person I'd come across, who was concerned with it, but again, I don't know, what I don't know. So, it made me wonder. It seems he's just being overly cautious, because I havent found anything to support his concern.

Those tins and cardboard foiled lined whatever

They are designed to sit on the shelf for years. Kept in a halfway decent area they should be fine?

Now once I open something. Jar to keep airtight. That’s what makes sense to me anyhow

That makes sense to me as well. While I have quite a few jars, it seemed kinda pointless to open everything and move it to jars, just because.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest, Alan was the first person I'd come across, who was concerned with it, but again, I don't know, what I don't know. So, it made me wonder. It seems he's just being overly cautious, because I havent found anything to support his concern.

That makes sense to me as well. While I have quite a few jars, it seemed kinda pointless to open everything and move it to jars, just because.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Yeah I’ve never heard anyone else question the cardboard tins. Well, other than bítching about for the money Seattle Pipe Club should be offering their tobacco in “proper” tins.🤷🏼‍♂️

Look at all the vintage tobacco tins and packaging from years past and you didn’t hear old timers complaining about the tobacco going bad. I think it’s much ado about nothing. Alan is a good resource but sometimes he strikes me as a little stodgy bordering on snobby about some aspects of the hobby.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I’ve never heard anyone else question the cardboard tins. Well, other than bítching about for the money Seattle Pipe Club should be offering their tobacco in “proper” tins.🤷🏼‍♂️

Look at all the vintage tobacco tins and packaging from years past and you didn’t hear old timers complaining about the tobacco going bad. I think it’s much ado about nothing. Alan is a good resource but sometimes he strikes me as a little stodgy bordering on snobby about some aspects of the hobby.

I had to look up stodgy. Never heard the word before. Lol

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having country squire Green Dragon for lunch. This and Kingsfoil are some of my favorite middle earth blends from the squire. IMG_3247.jpeg
I have been really digging my falcon pipe. I find I get a lot of moisture when I smoke. The well built into the pipe is a game changer for me.