• Total voters

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man talking about de ja vu that's is the same way I started.
it becomes one obsession, I know I am not done yet. I check daily sale net in Norway, the same for ebay.
Last year I bought one new oem 262 c&p, first he shipped wrong c&p, ended up that I got 262 and 281 top end. Now I just need to find the perfect bottom end in Norway.....
Worse is that I've started to read Stihl threads now.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently got a couple of Homelite XL-12 Parts saws. Both missing some parts, but each had the parts needed to make one or the other run. I was able to make both run. lol Fun time in the shop and a good feeling hearing both roar back to life. Unfortunately they both suffer from carbon scoring, and air leaks from somewhere. I then bought a hardly used Homelite Super Xl Auto for $40 that Ran, but not very well. Checked the piston and it looked almost new and the compression was at 95 psi. Rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines and it runs and cuts like a dream. I think the oil seals are leaking a bit because every time I lean the saw forward the idle drops way down. lol So I keep the saw lean back and she runs good. So I like both used and parts saws. If the price to get them is right they are a blast to burn up spare time on. Especially on rainy days where there's nothing to do.

Lower the metering lever.....

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have so many boxes full of saws that it's overwelming.

Someday I'll get more time.....and more space. Then I'll turn all that stuff into money. See, that's the fun part for me. Taking unwanted stuff, and revamping it into something worth enough to sell. I'm not really a collector of modern saws, it's the old magnesium muscle saws that trip my trigger. So, I sell the newer saws, and hang onto the old ones.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is how I get mine

005-3.jpg
I don't mind that kind!

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I generally avoid the older saws, I have a blue super xl with a scored piston that still blows 150 psi. But I know nothing about them, and they don't interest me as much as the newer more modern (late 80's to now) saws.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Yeah, I like older stuff. lol That's just me. These old saws are simple to work on and there's a ton of info on the internet about them. Parts are hard to find though.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I do like a good deal on a complete saw that needs work. It's just not as satisfying as pulling the rope on what was a carcass and hearing it fire up for the first time.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The hard part is not trying to fix all of them. You always end up with some crankcases and not much else. And it's hard to stop yourself from eBaying a bunch of parts to fix it. Either that or you always are looking for another parts saw to steal parts off of, then the cycle begins again.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually prefer a complete saw that needs work, sometimes I get lucky and it's something simple, like a carb kit or fuel line. Most times it's a bad top end. I do like parts saws though for spare parts. Or if I'm lucky I accumulate enough to make one from many.

I actually scored a complete 350 and a 346 bottom end tonight. If I round up enough parts maybe have a couple good saws when I'm done.

your welcome ben. :deal:

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was an hour away from home yesterday, but I was there on business figured I'd look up local dealers while I was there. Why not, went in asked if they had anything owners son said sure come on back. Sometimes you gotta make the most of it. I try and get complete saws anymore but if I see one with some good parts I could use, ur dang Skippy it's going in the truck. I also picked some 576, 372, and 61 parts out of their pile. Not enough to make a runner, but good to have if I need them.
dont tell me you bought all the poulans from chad LOL.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heck no. He did have a parts cutoff saw I would love to try my hands at though. Always wanted to rebuild one of those. I need to find you a good homelite project.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Next time I find one it's yours.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if im right one of the complete 350's swallowed a bearing and it ate the ring and piston the saw should have a primer bulb on it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heck no. He did have a parts cutoff saw I would love to try my hands at though. Always wanted to rebuild one of those. I need to find you a good homelite project.

the cut off saw is a 268 i got the muffler from it.