Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Which way do you guys normally come across your saws. In a dark ally from a shady craigslist ad or a box of parts from a buddy or dealers scrap pile. And which do you prefer.

I myself like the basket case saws. I know sometimes you can end up with more money in them than they are worth, but sometimes it's about bringing something back from the brink. Taking a thing someone has discarded and give it new life and purpose. Plus it's fun for me to work on them.

So what do you guys like, basket case or questionable runners?

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like getting a complete saw and replacing what i have to. I agree there is satisfaction to resurrecting a saw but i hate even more trying to piece together a saw. It usually gets expensive and time consuming. Johnny Cash may have got it one piece at a time but Dave likes it all at once.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually prefer a complete saw that needs work, sometimes I get lucky and it's something simple, like a carb kit or fuel line. Most times it's a bad top end. I do like parts saws though for spare parts. Or if I'm lucky I accumulate enough to make one from many.

I actually scored a complete 350 and a 346 bottom end tonight. If I round up enough parts maybe have a couple good saws when I'm done.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I recently got a couple of Homelite XL-12 Parts saws. Both missing some parts, but each had the parts needed to make one or the other run. I was able to make both run. lol Fun time in the shop and a good feeling hearing both roar back to life. Unfortunately they both suffer from carbon scoring, and air leaks from somewhere. I then bought a hardly used Homelite Super Xl Auto for $40 that Ran, but not very well. Checked the piston and it looked almost new and the compression was at 95 psi. Rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines and it runs and cuts like a dream. I think the oil seals are leaking a bit because every time I lean the saw forward the idle drops way down. lol So I keep the saw lean back and she runs good. So I like both used and parts saws. If the price to get them is right they are a blast to burn up spare time on. Especially on rainy days where there's nothing to do.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Usually if you work it right you can get a good saw cheap or cheaper than used if you don't have to buy a lot of little parts. The more complete the saw is the better. If you have to buy covers and handles and mufflers it adds up.

Bundling is key when scrounging. If you are picking a pile don't just pick one or two, get a box and fill it up.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I recently got a couple of Homelite XL-12 Parts saws. Both missing some parts, but each had the parts needed to make one or the other run. I was able to make both run. lol Fun time in the shop and a good feeling hearing both roar back to life. Unfortunately they both suffer from carbon scoring, and air leaks from somewhere. I then bought a hardly used Homelite Super Xl Auto for $40 that Ran, but not very well. Checked the piston and it looked almost new and the compression was at 95 psi. Rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines and it runs and cuts like a dream. I think the oil seals are leaking a bit because every time I lean the saw forward the idle drops way down. lol So I keep the saw lean back and she runs good. So I like both used and parts saws. If the price to get them is right they are a blast to burn up spare time on. Especially on rainy days where there's nothing to do.
I generally avoid the older saws, I have a blue super xl with a scored piston that still blows 150 psi. But I know nothing about them, and they don't interest me as much as the newer more modern (late 80's to now) saws.

d.l.d

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I prefer a parts saws. As already stated, something about making a pile of crap into a usable tool. The whole bringing it back to life tweaking it is what this hobbie is about to me. I've bought new saws before and to me it feels like a sin to get them dirty. I'd rather build a runner that isn't so pretty that i dont care about getting a few more scratches on.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all started with the batch I bought from one old logger, paid 350$ for them all. Funny guy actually, he has been professional logger since he was 16, he is 63 now, and in all those years he have never used any protection and the first he do with a new saw is to throw chain brake handle & chain brake parts in the trash bin.
This is where my madness started.
_DSC0923.jpg
There was about 8x262xpg, 5x254sg/xpg, 1x266xpg,1x444sg, and some 362/372's in that batch.

Since that time I drive everywhere in Norway to pick up junk, but I know what I wants to have.

In the paste I've got from the dealers scrap pile.
Husky 40 Practica, 44 Practica, 340, 50, 55, 350 was freebies. 40 Practica need fuel line &filter, ment to be for my collection. Since I got it I probleby need to get a nice looking 44 Practica as well. 40practica,44,340,344 share lots of the same parts.
I have spend quite a bit time on partstree, those 50,51,55 share some parts with 254/262. Fuel tank, chain brake parts, clutch, coil is the same as 254 have, that was the reason why I got them.
I am very patience nowadays, eventually I will get all the parts I miss to my 346,357,362,372 from one dealer scrap pile.

I have deals with 2 of the 3 biggest dealers here, all 2xx they get in will be mine ;)

Last edited:

Brian Simonseth

CANCER AND STROKES SUCKS
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This is how I get mine

005-3.jpg

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was an hour away from home yesterday, but I was there on business figured I'd look up local dealers while I was there. Why not, went in asked if they had anything owners son said sure come on back. Sometimes you gotta make the most of it. I try and get complete saws anymore but if I see one with some good parts I could use, ur dang Skippy it's going in the truck. I also picked some 576, 372, and 61 parts out of their pile. Not enough to make a runner, but good to have if I need them.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like free saws the best!! It is fun to build from a pile of other people's junk. I need to build my used parts base.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why buy parts saws or junk saws when you can buy one that runs and does not need work?
whoa! whoa! WOAAAH!! are you just trying to drive down the market on all the non-runners out there so you can grab up all the cool ones :)
Or are you sayin' that that picture of a storage bin full of saws is nothin' but runners :) :)
you are the best man
Dave