Palm trees

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Evansaw how do you deal with fiber pinch? I have found some dead ones almost impossible to cut.
Nice question, many individual answers

I ve been to various conditions from live palms to dead end which were like cutting a mix of hairs and soil.

Allow me to propose a few steps:

During previous day before work i do some preparations:
Chainsaw wise i take them a bath with chain oil which i use the expensive Stihl full Synthetic, not sure how you call it in America. But its thick amd sticky making a hard film around the saw.
With a toothbrush i also put all over the bar and chain.

Days of work. If the palm looks problematic i bath the bar nose with chain in oil just before my first cut. If i m climbing it i have someone on the ground do this and the saw coming up.

I ve found that the instant oil bath and then use (must be something with bar - chain temperatures) doesn't allow to stick in my bar nose and lock them.
Also after the cut i really try to clean the runway under the plastic to have my sprocket free as possible.
Few free RPMs in the air woul help me continue my cuts

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_5042.jpeg
This one is a DEAD palm, only hairs and dust. One of the worst to climb

It was fat but it actually broke at about 8 meters height just below my lanyard, i was lucky to have my lifeline below my knees (which outrules the 20cm difference between lanyard and lifeline), so saved my self by luck.
Actually the piece broke, overalled my lanyard SOMEHOW that cannot be explained or even imagined and went down.

There are a few weird things in our work

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My next Palm. That a situation that deserves a resume

It's right across the Parliament and the palm was planted about 100+ years ago from a King.
The Palm is inside the Embassy of Egypt, leaning towards a glass building from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Doesn't look healthy at all. IMG_7469.jpegIMG_7471.jpeg

Now that's an option for a huge Diplomatic Crisis

So if you hear something in the news, it was me. Not intended though...

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know how you do it, you are not a young man! How long have you been climbing?

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know how you do it, you are not a young man! How long have you been climbing?
Gotta be aware of an old man with ropes and chainsaw. He ve been around and survived...LOL

Well climbing has no age really, there are a few limitations but if mind and body are there, keep on going

To tell the truth: GOT NOTHING LEFT BUT MY CHAINSAWS.

And a few years back i was lucky enough to participate in this forum. My mind exploded with knowledge, got huge HELP AND RESPECT from members, learned about ported saws and acquired a few of them, that was and still is an unknown destination in my country. I wholeheartedly am thankful to all the people i ve dealt so far. Amazing community.
And i just kept on going on and on, day in day out.

Excuse my long response

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have the equipment and the space, The easiest way is to take it down with an excavator and put it right into a chipper.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you cut a face in a palm tree? Can they be wedged?