Optimum fuel ratio for longevity of husqvarna saws

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 40:1 in my 562XP with no ill effects. Generally Echo Red Armor, sometimes Amsoil Dominator. E-free gas. I feel kinda dumb getting .88 gallons of gas in my one gallon cans, though.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one thing that auto tune does not account for is elevation. it cannot tell how dense the air is, and still only tunes by rpm.
in my opinion, yes my opinion, this makes the saw work harder at 4000ft versus sea level with the same mix.
The question I always wondered is if you ran a richer fuel mix, like what they wanted 50:1 at 4000ft elevation, would the saw run cooler than 40:1 at 4000ft elevation???

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had never even thought about elevation, I live at 3200 feet above sea level and usually go uphill to find firewood, so far my saws have no noticible difference in how they run, I am impressed with the autotunes ability to compensate for a richer fuel mixture

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had never even thought about elevation, I live at 3200 feet above sea level and usually go uphill to find firewood, so far my saws have no noticible difference in how they run, I am impressed with the autotunes ability to compensate for a richer fuel mixture
Have you had any hot start issues? That’s where I think elevation comes into play with these saws

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
no hot start issues at all, I've got a buch of sawing to do tommorrow, I will report back afterwards if I have issues

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran saws from the elevation from 892 feet in NW Ohio to near 9,000 feet near Vale Colorado .As the elevation increases the high speed jet needs decreased ,leaner mixture .At higher elevation the O2 level decreases which affects the saw as well as who is operating them .Neither one can run at peak power .

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one thing that auto tune does not account for is elevation. it cannot tell how dense the air is, and still only tunes by rpm.
in my opinion, yes my opinion, this makes the saw work harder at 4000ft versus sea level with the same mix.
The question I always wondered is if you ran a richer fuel mix, like what they wanted 50:1 at 4000ft elevation, would the saw run cooler than 40:1 at 4000ft elevation???
There’s less oxygen at elevation. After a few minutes of cutting the AT should have pretty well adjusted the tune. But I’d think with less oxygen available, less fuel is needed, and the saw wouldn’t be working as hard. A surplus of oxygen would make it work harder, as in a turbo or supercharger, and would need more fuel to mix with the added air.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s less oxygen at elevation. After a few minutes of cutting the AT should have pretty well adjusted the tune. But I’d think with less oxygen available, less fuel is needed, and the saw wouldn’t be working as hard. A surplus of oxygen would make it work harder, as in a turbo or supercharger, and would need more fuel to mix with the added air.
Correct, without oxygen it will keep trimming fuel back to get to desired RPM. It’s why you cannot find 93 octane in most mountain states, it’s literally useless, not enough air to use the added octane.

PineBrookFarm

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 32:1 motul 800 w/ 91 octane E free. I've got regular carb saws, auto tune, m-tronic and fuel injected. All run perfect no issues. 1800' elevation

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i tried 30:1 .... smoked like a banshee

50:1 just seemed a little thin ....... so,

I settled on 40:1 ...... feels like a good middle-ground

I run AMSoil smokeless hi-performace somethingorother

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i tried 30:1 .... smoked like a banshee

50:1 just seemed a little thin ....... so,

I settled on 40:1 ...... feels like a good middle-ground

I run AMSoil smokeless hi-performace somethingorother
Only until they heat up. I don’t see any excess smoke cutting at 32:1

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl Oil at 40:1 Smokes like a fire with only a little air. have run 4 litre throu my 550 and then i teared it down, piston wash patterns thick black. never more i run this oil. Amsoil Dominator do not smoke at 33:1 and also it does not stink like stihl oil.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32:1 here in western MA (1000' elevation), 93 octane Sunoco gas. Have run this mix in all my equipment this year and no smoke, no issues, EZ starting too.

My current preferred 2-stroke mix oil is full synthetic Arctic Cat APV (Arctic Power Valve) oil (had two gallons on the shelf, it's blue) and it's awesome stuff. I did a 'visual' oil analysis of this AC APV oil, another AC (non-APV) oil, Amsoil full-syn 'injector' oil, and Jred dino oil, and IMO the APV really looked good, while the other three appeared nearly identical. I run full-syn oils in all my vehicles as well.

I have an untapped bottle of VP full-syn 2-stroke oil (it's red) on the shelf awaiting a chance to get into the game at some point. I'll run that at 32:1 as well.

I'd be interested in member opinions, good or bad, on my oil choices and mix ratios. I'm not sure if the Sunoco 93 is ethanol-free, but my equipment sure runs strong with it. I'm using it in all small-engine power equipment I have (saws (3), trimmer(1), blowers(2), lawn tractor, snowblower, pressure washer, quad ATV).

Currently running 2 HVA saws (543XP, 550XP) and one Jred (2050 Turbo), ready to pull the trigger on another HVA (562XP). The 562 will be my first & only 3/8" saw; don't really need it but I'm gonna get one anyway! :rolleyes:

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
40:1 XP+ with no corn in 91 otcane, at altitudes varying 2500-6500, a tad bit of smoke after 5 or so seconds on high idle, snapping the throttle part way a few times clears them right out.

I have 30-50 MPH winds this morning so I just sharpened up and fueled up the saws, I am going to go look for some easy pickins next year firewood.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New ported 500i with a tank of fuel on it. 32:1 Dominator. No spooge
Looks pristine! The Kinetix oil I run at 32:1 would get slimy and create more carbon build up. Went to 40:1 and was much better. Probably need a better oil but hasn’t cause any engine failures so I just keep burning it until I have it used up