redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
first time poster, long time lurker.

I recently bought 2 new Husqvarna chainsaws a 545 MKII, and a 572XP. I am no professional just a firewood burner that appreciates quality tools and taking care of them.

I have read here about difderent fuel/oil ratios and was curious if there is a better fuel mixture for the autotune saws to make them last longer.

I know that more oil causes a lean condition because there is less fuel being burned and you should richen them up a smidge to compensate, but on an autotune saw how is that accomplished?

if more oil causes a loss in performance I am okay with that, trading some performance for saws that will last longer is no problem with me.

I am currently mixing XP+ with non ethanol 91 octane gas at the recommended 50:1 ratio but thinkin of cutting the gas down to .9 of a gallon or possibly a little more when I mix in a 2.6oz bottle of premix oil.

I do on ocassion mill with the 572, should I have a difderent ratio just for milling?

sorry for so many questions and I do appreciate any and all feedback. THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_182603583.jpg
    IMG_20221007_182603583.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 26

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from 50:1 to 40:1 from xp oil to motul 800 offroad

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is the autotune capable of making necessary adjustments to compensate for richer fuel mixture or do I need to do anything?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is the autotune capable of making necessary adjustments to compensate for richer fuel mixture or do I need to do anything?
Have run 550,550mk2, 562s,572s,592 on 40:1 without any problems. All saws have had mufflers opened up. Ran a ported 562 on it without a problem. No idea about milling with a 572. XP+ in ethanol free fuel.

Last edited:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your location is says Idaho?
I dont have firsthand knowledge of this, but I recall issues with M-tronic, colder temps and the viscosity of the Motul 800 causing issues.
I run Amsoil Sabre at 40:1 in all my stuff, and temps from 90 degrees to minus 15.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im in NW Montana.

i was always told that changing pre mix oil from whats used during initial break in is one of the worst things you can do.
the XP+ is sold at the local non ethanol gas station.

is the XP+ premix good stuff? or does it have a bad rap?

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally think that changing from one brand of quality oil to another brand of quality oil at any point in an engines life cycle will have no ill effect.
But, I'm no expert. Even on the internet.

The autotune will compensate for the extra oil the by simply allowing more mix in.
I've seen some seriously stout ported Autotune and M-tronic saws running 40:1 and even more oil and no issues whatsoever.
Get yourself one of those Ratio-rite measuring cups off Amazon or the like and mix away.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can only comment on what I have seen using it and friend owns Great lakes tree removal and runs it at 50:1 non ethanol. Never had an issue with it. Have repaired several of his saws from being dropped or ran over. Never seen a bad cylinder/piston or bottom end on his saws. Oil threads are over the place here. Amsoil Dominator has been at top of many porter's list. Husky XP+ is readily available to me at an ok price, only ran husky 2 stroke oils since 1985, so what do I know.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im glad to hear that the autotune is able to compensate, that was a big concern for me.

im going to mix up a couple of gallons at 40:1 I need to do some sawing this weekend.

I do appreciate all the replies.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The lean condition thing is an internet myth. Once you tune for the mix, it is a non-issue unless you change mix ratios without retuning. With auto tune, it’s even less a concern.

All my 2-stroke equipment runs XP+ at 40:1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stopped by the gas station this evening and got 2 gallons of gas to mix up, I'm going to be cutting firewood this weekend

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
figured I would give a quick update, sawed up a couple loads of firewood yesterday, 2 tanks through tje 572 and 4 tanks through the 545, I did not notice the extra premix at all, the saws were able run the same, I was thinking I might loose a little bit of top end power but they didnt.

I appreciate all the helpful answers everyone provided.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some autotune/m-tronic saws do not like richer than 40:1. Dominator seemed to be the crispest tuning of all oils tested awhile back. Not that it’s the end all be all oil, but it definitely was better in that regard.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I could walk into a store near me locally and buy Amsoil I would try it out, online deliveries are a pain in the neck at my house.

they sell XP+ were I buy my non ethanol fuel at, it makes it very convienent for me to get them both at the same time.

I have never had brand new saw before and this year I finally splurged and bought 2 brand new saws and I really want to take care of them and keep them lasting as long as possible.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I could walk into a store near me locally and buy Amsoil I would try it out, online deliveries are a pain in the neck at my house.

they sell XP+ were I buy my non ethanol fuel at, it makes it very convienent for me to get them both at the same time.

I have never had brand new saw before and this year I finally splurged and bought 2 brand new saws and I really want to take care of them and keep them lasting as long as possible.

A sharp chain, clean air filter, and mindful use of your saws is gonna be a bigger issue in your saws longevity over oils.

Pick a good oil and go at it.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a stickler for all my tools to be in tip top shape and always ready to work, I tune the chains in everytime before I fire them up and when I fuel them, and blow out air filters quite often, I gather about 8 cords of wood a year mostly in late summer and fall than my saws and splitter get lots of rest

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here 99.9% of saws are ran on 50:1 Aspen premix. New saws and 40 year old saws. Just use a FD rated oil and good fuel and have at it.