Oddball 'upsidedown' oak

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wcorey. Did you see any signs that those dead trees around the twin, might have ever fallen into the twin?
Oddly bent limbs or twisting or grooves that might be from long ago forces from nearby trees or vines?

They're gone now, but I've had apple trees that fell across one another and slowly grafted together.
The base of one had died and I went to clear them out of the yard and that's when I realized the roots of the other one had taken a graft with the top of the other tree.

The neighbors kids sorta drifted over to see what I was doing.
Small talk ensued and I learned that they had never lived anywhere with fruit trees (always rental places).
Well now....
So I ended up leaving the trees a few more years, so that the kids could get a feel of what I had just taken for granted in my youth.
My parents planted a variety of trees on the lot (about an acre) when I was a baby, So I just grew up around Pears, Apples, Peaches, Plums, Cherries & Scuppernongs.
Most of the "original" families in the 'hood had gardens and fruit trees.
Thus I just spent my life here knowing that there were likely a few stray apples or pears as the old folks died off and new neighbors mostly disregarded the few remaining legacy trees and said "help yourself".

Pocket knife slick with juice. I nicked a hand more than once, munching out buy the moonlight, peeling a Winesap.
Eventually I wised up and bought a peeler!
I kept a simple, stainless blade, Ecko peeler/corer hanging in the lawn shed for many years, until last apple tree was gone (Staymen Winesap). Oh Yeah those apples are worth a drop of blood, on a cool fall night.

Still got a couple of pecans trees that the tree rats keep stripped for me though. :BangHead:

mmm, sorry bout the windy ramble. I guess I'm still missing the storytellers who've left us.