Not So Pro 3

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plastic is as you assumed. It keeps the shingles from sticking together in the bundle. They probably never got hot enough over the summer to melt the tar like adhesive and bond together.
So should the plastic have been peeled before they were laid down or does the action of heating and melting just kind of incorporate it into the bond?

And you are correct, we didn't have any hot days this last summer

Thanks for helping Randy

This is obviously way out of my area of expertise

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So should the plastic have been peeled before they were laid down or does the action of heating and melting just kind of incorporate it into the bond?

And you are correct, we didn't have any hot days this last summer

Thanks for helping Randy

This is obviously way out of my area of expertise
When they are in a bundle the plastic strip is directly over the adhesive. When they are installed, the plastic doesn't line up with the adhesive. So no, it isn't supposed to be removed.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha

Thanks

Blood pressure dropping
I had a few that were messed up when I roofed the back porch. The plastic strip was folded as it was applied somehow. The edge of it ended up under the adhesive. Those had to be pulled off because they were in the adhesive rather than stuck to the other shingle. That was a pain in the ass that slowed my already slow progress.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got the kitchen cleaned up after turning 40lbs of venison into "three meat burger". Ground the venison, then ground 5lbs of bacon, mixed it all together with 10lbs of hamburger.....and ran it through the grinder again.
I have 60-70 lbs of venison dogs and about 25 lbs of sticks on the way. I’m not big on hotdogs but the kids eat the crap out of them and these are better than the mystery meat from the supermarket.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 60-70 lbs of venison dogs and about 25 lbs of sticks on the way. I’m not big on hotdogs but the kids eat the crap out of them and these are better than the mystery meat from the supermarket.
My wife ain't a big fan of venison. She loves the jerky we make, and thinks the three meat burger is awesome....so this is how we do it. It gets eaten this way.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a few that were messed up when I roofed the back porch. The plastic strip was folded as it was applied somehow. The edge of it ended up under the adhesive. Those had to be pulled off because they were in the adhesive rather than stuck to the other shingle. That was a pain in the ass that slowed my already slow progress.
One of my old neighbors pulled every one of those strips off and I wasn’t about to tell him any different. Was like a fukkin ticker tape parade around his place for awhile.😂

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife ain't a big fan of venison. She loves the jerky we make, and thinks the three meat burger is awesome....so this is how we do it. It gets eaten this way.
I hear ya. There’s some deer spiedies that I love but the wife got sick on them when she was pregnant with one of the boys. Now we hardly ever make them. Everybody loves the jerky though.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, I need you roofing gurus to chime in

We have had very strong winds for several days and I knew yesterday that I had some shingles up near the ridgeline that were lifted, loose, and flopping in the wind

The wind shifted earlier and hit them at a 90 degree angle and snapped them off and I just retrieved them

I need to know if the clear plastic over the adhesive is to protect them from sticking together in the bundles and should have been peeled off before the shingles went down

If that is the case is there any reason that the plastic should still be in place?

The roofing job is just over a year old on a brand new build

Should I be as pissed as I am feeling right now?

I already have a warranty ticket going and the roofers are supposed to be out this week

Please help me get ready to talk to them in an intelligent manner

Thanks in advance for any help

View attachment 404885View attachment 404886
No need to remove the clear plastic.

Attachments

• R__106_Clear_Plastic_Release_Film_Leave_on_or_Take_Off.pdf
    576.1 KB · Views: 5

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, I need you roofing gurus to chime in

We have had very strong winds for several days and I knew yesterday that I had some shingles up near the ridgeline that were lifted, loose, and flopping in the wind

The wind shifted earlier and hit them at a 90 degree angle and snapped them off and I just retrieved them

I need to know if the clear plastic over the adhesive is to protect them from sticking together in the bundles and should have been peeled off before the shingles went down

If that is the case is there any reason that the plastic should still be in place?

The roofing job is just over a year old on a brand new build

Should I be as pissed as I am feeling right now?

I already have a warranty ticket going and the roofers are supposed to be out this week

Please help me get ready to talk to them in an intelligent manner

Thanks in advance for any help

View attachment 404885View attachment 404886
A friend of mine had several shingles that never heat seated
So he used this stuff to adhere them down so he didn't lose more
https://builderswarehouse.com/npc-9...0L3hRbj6pA33K7X89JLMhhfYelmfAjMXY8SQnkgzY-1fA
It seemed to work fine.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:07 AM