Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm seriously just kinda stunned. I've been texting back and forth in a group text with some of the other people that were in that class and we're all just in disbelief. I'm still wrapping my brain around it.
I'd bet you'll have visitors, eventually...

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mornin' IMG_20240714_183233.jpg
I got one of these to clear shooting lanes through my fieldIMG_20240715_101001.jpg
Does great clearing ditch line's
IMG_20240715_102714_1.jpg
Bastard always follows me when i mowIMG_20240712_180231.jpgmy friend is buying another new kei truck he bought this one new 4 year's ago and it's perfect for his 600 acre farm.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friends / associates / miscreants however you want to be addressed I need some advice. I think the time has come to give up on the idea that I want to walk my lawn mowing, it’s time to drive. Half acre lot with some slope, tractor or zero-turn. I figure max deck size that makes sense if a 42”.

Recommendations? Horror stories?

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friends / associates / miscreants however you want to be addressed I need some advice. I think the time has come to give up on the idea that I want to walk my lawn mowing, it’s time to drive. Half acre lot with some slope, tractor or zero-turn. I figure max deck size that makes sense if a 42”.

Go zero turn and go mow.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mornin' View attachment 426219
I got one of these to clear shooting lanes through my fieldView attachment 426220
Does great clearing ditch line's
View attachment 426221
Bastard always follows me when i mowView attachment 426222my friend is buying another new kei truck he bought this one new 4 year's ago and it's perfect for his 600 acre farm.

Had a couple of classmates in high school who's father was a surgeon. Kind people, but they were ignorant when it came to mechanical things. They had a pretty nice home along a river, and they bought a brush mower like that brand new from a local big-box store. They used it for about half an hour right out of the box, and it quit and wouldn't restart. They called me, knowing I worked on things and asked if I had time to come look at it.

I get over there, and the first thing I do is ask "did you put oil in it?" "Yeah, we filled it up with oil and gas."

Next thing I did was pull the recoil rope, which moved the flywheel half a rotation, ending with a metallic clank.

"Are you sure you put oil in the crankcase? This is a 4 stroke engine, and the oil goes in a different spot than the fuel..."

The two classmates and their father looked at each other, and then back at me... I already knew what they did before I went any further

I asked for a socket and ratchet, and proceeded to pull the head off (I miss working on the flathead engines, they were easier in many ways). The piston was protruding from the block enough that I grabbed the piston with my fingertips, and removed the piston and what was left of the rod from the bore. They had un-boxed the mower, put their mixed fuel that their lawnboy ran on in it, and assumed they were good to go. They ignored all the tags on everything, such as the one on the oil filler that clearly said "Fill with "x" amount of oil prior to use" and just went to cutting. There was even a full container of 30wt oil, still sitting in the box it came in....

I then had to explain to them, in great detail, how this type of engine didn't use oil mixed in the gasoline, and it relied on the oil in the sump for lubrication, much like their cars and motorcycles.

As far as I know, after I put it back together, they went and returned it. I never did ask what they did, as I didn't want any more part in that mess.

I still laugh to myself every time I see a mower like that now. Brings back memories of the one time I made a heart surgeon feel like an idiot in his own garage.

Last edited:

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a couple of classmates in high school who's father was a surgeon. Kind people, but they were ignorant when it came to mechanical things. They had a pretty nice home along a river, and they bought a brush mower like that brand new from a local big-box store. They used it for about half an hour right out of the box, and it quit and wouldn't restart. They called me, knowing I worked on things and asked if I had time to come look at it.

I get over there, and the first thing I do is ask "did you put oil in it?" "Yeah, we filled it up with oil and gas."

Next thing I did was pull the recoil rope, which moved the flywheel half a rotation, ending with a metallic clank.

"Are you sure you put oil in the crankcase? This is a 4 stroke engine, and the oil goes in a different spot than the fuel..."

The two classmates and their father looked at each other, and then back at me... I already knew what they did before I went any further

I asked for a socket and ratchet, and proceeded to pull the head off (I miss working on the flathead engines, they were easier in many ways). The piston was protruding from the block enough that I grabbed the piston with my fingertips, and removed the piston and what was left of the rod from the bore. They had un-boxed the mower, put their mixed fuel in it that their lawnboy ran on in it, and assumed they were good to go. They ignored all the tags on everything, such as the one on the oil filler that clearly said "Fill with "x" amount of oil prior to use" and just went to cutting. There was even a full container of 30wt oil, still sitting in the box it came in....

I then had to explain to them, in great detail, how this type of engine didn't use oil mixed in the gasoline, and it relied on the oil in the sump for lubrication, much like their cars and motorcycles.

As far as I know, after I put it back together, they went and returned it. I never did ask what they did, as I didn't want any more part in that mess.

I still laugh to myself every time I see a mower like that now. Brings back memories of the one time I made a heart surgeon feel like an idiot in his own garage.
The flip side of this is how many new pieces of equipment get OVERFILLED with oil because they take lets say 14oz of oil and the manufacturer puts a 16oz bottle in the box

I have a few partial bottles of Ariens and Toro oil with a few oz of leftover oil sitting around gathering dust, but then again, I can read instructions and know how to use a dipstick

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

+1 on the zero turn train. Better agility than a tractor, and a smoother ride in many cases.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Trudeau approved 5137dfc3euL.jpg

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not when a gas unit is $2K cheaper to buy, besides I'm filling 5 x 5 gallon jerry cans at a time right now, why would I vary that...
How many seasons does 25 gallons last you?

Also, Justin cares not about the cost so neither should you:sun_smiley: