Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2006 Motorbike, Suzuki Marauder with a 250cc air cooled engine that uses the same oil for the gearbox. As usual I have an oil question, what oil should I use given its age, were fully synthetic oils about back then or did suzuki use them in the 250 marauder. People are telling me synthetic will not do well in such a low powered engine that will only be used to potter around town with the longest run being 12 miles each way with a break before returning.
Also worried about rust inhibitation, are synthetics using ester liable to hold water and thus cause rust in the gearbox for example.
Not sure I should post this here but I have seen a few motorbike related issues commented on so am taking a chance, not meaning to upset anyone either though so mods feel free to delete.
Thanks in advance.
Synthetics have been around since the 1970’s, and have been mainstream since the early 2000’s. Synthetics will not hurt your engine. CC’s does not matter, neither does power level. Synthetics also have rust prevention additives. The biggest issue will be the compatibility of the wet clutch. Using an oil designed for both engine and wet clutch lubrication is priority.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic oil was around in 06.
Any pressure, or splash lube engine will only get rust inside if the oil simply isn't changed or there isn't any and it's a high moisture environment.
The power level of the engine has zero to do with Synthetic oil doing well in it or not.
I couldn't tell you what Suzuki specs for an oil that is used for both engine and transmission lubrication. I'd start there. The newer Indian engines share a engine and trans sump and they are using synthetic.

Massive Car Dealer Cyberattack Cripples 'Every Angle' of Business​

Nearly 15,000 dealers are still shut down.​

Is this affecting Chevy?
https://www.motortrend.com/news/car-dealership-cyberattack-2024-cdk-hack/

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ford3000 I use Lucas full synthetic atv oil in the bikes. There is probably something better but this is available locally and safe for wet clutch applications. Some engine oils are not good for wet clutches.
Thanks for posting. I just found the book for the bike and it specs 10-40 sg or sf premium motor oil.
They don't even mention that oil for wet clutches should be used. And they do not recommend any
brand, they had none of their own back then, they do now though.
Worried about using fully synthetic given its not mentioned in the specs, and still not sure if
ester based oils cause rust because of the moisture they can hold, or is this just in two strokes.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic oil was around in 06.
Any pressure, or splash lube engine will only get rust inside if the oil simply isn't changed or there isn't any and it's a high moisture environment.
The power level of the engine has zero to do with Synthetic oil doing well in it or not.
I couldn't tell you what Suzuki specs for an oil that is used for both engine and transmission lubrication. I'd start there. The newer Indian engines share a engine and trans sump and they are using synthetic.
Thanks for posting. Just read the book for the bike, 10-40 oil, no mention of synthetic.
I googled some, and its just another never ending oil debate, with lots in my area using
Motul 10-40 full synthetic and others using Castrol power 1 of same viscosity.
The oil has to do the gearbox too, no separate oils there.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The good old days. Used to gown to my cousin's house across town down by the river. We were similar ages and carries our 22's over our shoulders. No way would that fly today. What changed?
I still remember the day in 1968 after the gun control act went into play when I walked in to the Circle K store with my dollar bill to get my weekly box of .22 LR shells to head up into the mountains, and the lady who knew me well said sorry, can't sell them to you anymore, have to be signed for by an adult

My dad went in later and signed for them and worked out a deal where he paid and signed for 4 boxes and I would get them 1 box at a time, rinse and repeat

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still remember the day in 1968 after the gun control act went into play when I walked in to the Circle K store with my dollar bill to get my weekly box of .22 LR shells to head up into the mountains, and the lady who knew me well said sorry, can't sell them to you anymore, have to be signed for by an adult

My dad went in later and signed for them and worked out a deal where he paid and signed for 4 boxes and I would get them 1 box at a time, rinse and repeat
Gawd dang dood....you're fughin OLD !!!!

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Just read the book for the bike, 10-40 oil, no mention of synthetic.
I googled some, and its just another never ending oil debate, with lots in my area using
Motul 10-40 full synthetic and others using Castrol power 1 of same viscosity.
The oil has to do the gearbox too, no separate oils there.

I had an '07 Drz-400, and I ran synthetic in it for the 15,000 I put on it while I owned it. Any oil designed for bikes, that has the correct additives for a wet clutch, will be fine in the shared oil system. I personally used a full-ester by silkolene, and noticed that the shifting was smoother. I abused that bike and figured good oil was cheap insurance.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My oldest brother 20 year's older than me had just came back from the army and sent me to
Brownie and ova Coleman's grocery store to get a box of 12 gauge and box of .22 shells and a 6 pack of Pabst blue ribbon glass bottles
I was 6-7 and carried that *s-word a couple miles to where we were fishing.
1976-77

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Captain sawzall is going to block the trunk of that tree up today
He said the bar nuts keep falling off
He must've junked the chain or bent some cutters
In 7 year's it never happened to me on that saw.