Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening folks. Spent the better half of a paycheck at the auto body supply shop and started laying down some fiberglass filler on the Skylark.
View attachment 422692
Oldest had a mishap with the wife's van few days back and this reminded me I wanted to ask some questions. Local yokel wants almost 2k for ordering and painting a fender and bumper cover. Screw that, wish I was there to tell him to stick his quote. Anywho, what are the cool kids using now days in terms of equipment and paint. Got some projects I was hoping to be able to work on when I get to retire anyway and planned to have some time to do a bit more research. HVLP gravity gun I would assume. What will do for an occasional, non-professional, use? Going to make some calls to couple places to price out the parts, or straighten the fender and just get a bumper cover.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first started welding, I didn’t always take the time to prep the joint…usually ended up having to redo my work. If the material is thick enough to stick weld, I like to do a root pass with 6010 (usually 1/8”) and follow it up with a 7018. A 6011 will work in place of the 6010 if you don’t have a good DC welder.
This is what I do too, if the parent material is thick enough. Last time was on a Cat 515 skidder I was leasing. An existing crack on the frame (1” thick) became a problem, so I V’d it out heavily, then laid the 6010 base, and filled the rest in with 7018. Worked great.

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anesthesia should have worn off my know, how’s Kathy doing?
Still had a good amount of pain medicine going last night. She said it was a little more sore this morning while i was helping her get situated in the living room. Her kids will be stopping in to check on her while I'm expanding minds at the Carpenter University.

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oldest had a mishap with the wife's van few days back and this reminded me I wanted to ask some questions. Local yokel wants almost 2k for ordering and painting a fender and bumper cover. Screw that, wish I was there to tell him to stick his quote. Anywho, what are the cool kids using now days in terms of equipment and paint. Got some projects I was hoping to be able to work on when I get to retire anyway and planned to have some time to do a bit more research. HVLP gravity gun I would assume. What will do for an occasional, non-professional, use? Going to make some calls to couple places to price out the parts, or straighten the fender and just get a bumper cover.
@JoeDirt ... I know i have Sata paint guns from when my dad used to run body shops. That's what i used to paint the orange Harley. I know paint and materials are through the roof these days.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've learned that a 120 volt mig welder just ain't got enough pumpkin to be welding stuff on my hay baler.

Dot Dot Dot
Sound's like my kind of luck when trying to get some projects done. Part way done and repairs needed to finish . . .

I've put a lot of stuff together as well with 110v "buzz boxes", also with a good results.

I've got a 240v mig that should get pulled out a bit more than it does for the bigger stuff as well.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Morning folks.
Storms were close by last evening at the out of town place with winds at times to 50mph. The evening news was showing events way to close to the homestead that didn't look to good, but at least the lawn got watered.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning men, another Thursday is upon us. Everyone has hay down around here. Hope next week is nice so I can cut. Doing the driving circuit again. 29000 miles since December, #notatruckdriver

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JoeDirt ... I know i have Sata paint guns from when my dad used to run body shops. That's what i used to paint the orange Harley. I know paint and materials are through the roof these days.
Thanks for the info. Took a look at those real quick. Gravity feed start about $600 and the cups are extra it seems. Bit out of the question for a shade tree type jobber.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet Adam, have a couple weeks before it lands. I think the leading candidate is “Bad Medicine” (the creek we live on is called Medicine Creek). While Bon Jovi is far from my favourite we love the 80’s music in this house.
In honor of our departed Dallas you should name it “can’t hide money”. We know how he loved to use this as much as GFY. Hope you and the family enjoy the boat Gary. Looks like a fun time.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Took a look at those real quick. Gravity feed start about $600 and the cups are extra it seems. Bit out of the question for a shade tree type jobber.
Harbor Freight gravity fed guns work well enough. As the old saying goes, "it's the Indian, not the arrow".

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning folks.
Storms were close by last evening at the out of town place with winds at times to 50mph. The evening news was showing events way to close to the homestead that didn't look to good, but at least the lawn got watered.
Morning / Evening All. A little more rain overnight but some nasty storms and at least one tornado south of us.
I watched Reed Timmer last night Live, while he chased a tornado near Brainerd, MN for a while. Not sure if there were more than that one from those storms in MN..