Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tim, I'm having a fughin fit trying to stop a hydraulic leak on my old JD2640. Looks like it should take a square cut oring, but even that doesn't stop it. I've tried everything and am out of ideas.
Where’s it leaking from?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is the small size that is giving me fits. Didn't make it to the co-op before they closed. Will try it again tonight. Co-op tomorrow if I am unsuccessful.
Pro Tip.
Secure a spindle of some sort in your vice to drop the rim on and hold it somewhat in place.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tim, I'm having a fughin fit trying to stop a hydraulic leak on my old JD2640. Looks like it should take a square cut oring, but even that doesn't stop it. I've tried everything and am out of ideas.
I can't say for sure Randy, unless I could see the counter bore in the valve for the fitting, and the seal area on the fitting behind the hex. But when you say it looks like it should take a square cut or D style o ring leads me to believe it may need what they call a dowty seal washer. It is a super heavy square cut washer with a bonded lip seal on the id of the washer.
Edit: Especially when I see the circular counter bore on the valve. So if it is tapered cut behind that for a round oring than all you need is a back up washer on the fitting behind the hex. Those normally don't fall off as they are almost spun on by hand over the fitting threads.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say for sure Randy, unless I could see the counter bore in the valve for the fitting, and the seal area on the fitting behind the hex. But when you say it looks like it should take a square cut or D style o ring leads me to believe it may need what they call a dowty seal washer. It is a super heavy square cut washer with a bonded lip seal on the id of the washer.
Edit: Especially when I see the circular counter bore on the valve. So if it is tapered cut behind that for a round oring than all you need is a back up washer on the fitting behind the hex. Those normally don't fall off as they are almost spun on by hand over the fitting threads.
I think a trip to the John Deere parts department is in order.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20240608_121036.jpg20240608_121044.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The picture shows the seal being pushed out by pressure behind the hex, or is that Stihl sealant? Do you have any pics of it apart?
That's a little Dirko. I think I'll get a set of dowdy washers and try that with an oring under it.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pro Tip.
Secure a spindle of some sort in your vice to drop the rim on and hold it somewhat in place.
I got them on. Thank God I didn't need to put in tubes. Put the bottom bead on the rim, used the edge of the fel bucket to hold the rim on the ground about a third of the way across. Used my tire irons to get them the rest of the way. I like the way you think Adam. I guess I achieved what you said in a different way.