Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some tree guys up here clean and sharpen saws every afternoon others it doesn’t get clean till it sees me. Many times you can’t see the pleats in the air filter and had a couple that lost spark because they had so much crap in the coil area they couldn’t read the magnets anymore.
Par for the course.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The older son worked at Home Depot for a couple of years designing kitchens and his take was that Samsung and LG were the worst and he said people had the best luck and the easiest warranty process with GE

That is what the builder used in our house so we bought a GE fridge that matched and GE washer and dryer

The gasket on the freezer drawer leaked from the get go and they replaced it with no fuss

I paid for the extended service plans as well although I hate doing that, it just seems like if you don't, about 13 minutes past a year something goes to hell
We had Fridgidaire Gallery in the last kitchen and they gave us 7 years of flawless service before we sold, the Samsung dryer in the laundry needed service every year it seemed. Pulley tensioner pretty much every time.

Would have bought Fridgidaire again but they didn’t have a fridge we liked in the 33” size we need. Wanted an induction cook top but Maytag didn’t have one so that was the concession we made.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a maytag bravos washer that came with the house. I think it's about 10 years old at this point, and I have to say I am not a fan. I am hesitant to replace it, as it works most of the time and the newer junk scares me.

I have had to replace the drum drive hub 4 times in the 4 years I have owned it, as the hub is made of nylon and the splines shear off when it tries to spin up for the spin cycle. Later models had a die-cast hub, and of course I can't swap in the newer part to fix that.

I have started keeping a spare drive hub in the cabinet, so I can at least fix it within an hour when it decides to *s-word the bed..

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had Fridgidaire Gallery in the last kitchen and they gave us 7 years of flawless service before we sold, the Samsung dryer in the laundry needed service every year it seemed. Pulley tensioner pretty much every time.

Would have bought Fridgidaire again but they didn’t have a fridge we liked in the 33” size we need. Wanted an induction cook top but Maytag didn’t have one so that was the concession we made.
Ever since the covid caused shortage nonsense the builder (who averages 50 houses a year) orders 50 sets of appliances each year and you get no say in the matter

They used to allow some leeway and even gave you an allowance and let people pick their own brands, etc but then they started getting hung up at closing time because the appliances didn't show up and the bank won't allow closing unless all the required appliances are installed, so they adopted their current policy

When we remodeled the kitchen in our old house we got Kitchenaid and they worked great, except for the oven, which required a new igniter for each of the 3 burner zones at some point in it's life

The dual oven with a "pizza oven" on top was the best we ever had as far as usefulness and cooking ease went

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we can just bring in more kids and rent their moms out
i mean hell one kid said he is waiting on 4 saws he bought this week and noone calls him a liar
but if say a cuss word its top priority to censor it
I hate the *f-wording *s-wordheaded cocklicking swear word censor too Dally.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a maytag bravos washer that came with the house. I think it's about 10 years old at this point, and I have to say I am not a fan. I am hesitant to replace it, as it works most of the time and the newer junk scares me.

I have had to replace the drum drive hub 4 times in the 4 years I have owned it, as the hub is made of nylon and the splines shear off when it tries to spin up for the spin cycle. Later models had a die-cast hub, and of course I can't swap in the newer part to fix that.

I have started keeping a spare drive hub in the cabinet, so I can at least fix it within an hour when it decides to *s-word the bed..
This house has a Bravos XL top load washer in it, not sure if it is original at about 12 years or not but it had been flawless for us so far. Have fallen in love with the top load style after 3 different front loaders. If this fails will likely buy something similar again.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
The solenoid went out in my new washing machine in a few months..then...it went again.

I guess that's what 1200 dollars buys you these days.
It’s the way things seem to be these days. It seems like every 6 months I replace the igniter on our gas dryer. Every year I replace the igniter in the furnace and that thing only runs a half dozen times a winter.
I guess that's a little different, but sh!t still happens. You don't have 4 guys picking it up to make cuts...

Tree Service saws are the most tortured saws (in my opinion) and live the hardest life.
After 2.5 decades of tree work I can confirm this. And the more guys on the crew the shorter the saws lives seem to be. But that saw probably paid for itself 100 times over.
My first 462 was a 2019 model and it popped about a month ago, the piston cracked and it ate the top end, I was pissed..obviously..but it didn't owe me anything. Made it 4-5 years.

I do my best to keep up with what we use, better than most services out there..but the inevitable comes at some point.
You know this but most fellers don’t realize that chainsaws are the cheapest motorized equipment on a tree job.
LG by chance? We have a Maytag on the way to replace the LG one that was in the place when we bought it. In doing our research even the appliances store tell you not to buy LG.
For refrigerators all of them are junk compared to the older ones. LG and Samsung are the worst, but most aren’t lasting more than 4-5 years anymore. That is if they don’t shít the bed in months. Usually the compressor. Hopefully you bought the longest warranty you could.

Our Samsung is going on 10 years now and it was supposedly the most reliable, according to consumers reports, at the time. I’ve had to fix the water supply solenoid twice, replace the defrost timer for both the freezer side and refer side, and relocate the defrost heat sensor. The defrost heat sensor and water fill solenoid were within a month after the fridge was delivered. The quality has only gone downhill since on them.

Back in the day you could expect a fridge to last 20 years and maybe only replace a defrost timer on them once.

@Oddsandends if you’re going to a trade school you could do a lot worse than HVAC school. Take any and all appliance repair courses they offer and pay close attention to how to diagnose electronics problems. You will be thousands ahead just fixing your own junk on top of making bank at your day job.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have the cabrio washer and dryer also
so far on the washer was the 25 dollar lid lock
on the dryer was the computer board

speed queen is more commercial than residential but far superior than anything out there too
Mine the drum bearings started to make noise at 2-1/2-3 years and completely failed at less than 5. Few hundred to fix if I wanted to but the computer boards were a known failure point also at 400$ or so. Just gave up and bought the speed queen. Cabrio dryer still going though

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We bought Kenmore for years simply because we always bought the extended warranty and getting service was simple, but the last Kenmore washer and dryer we got were a nightmare and I can't count the number of service calls

I wasn't smart enough to figure out we could have gotten a new machine due to lemon laws until the tech explained it AFTER the time period had run

When the washer finally completely gave out literally a week after the extended warranty was up, the tech said we bought the absolute worst washer they had ever produced and oddly enough, the absolute best dryer they had ever had

We replaced them with Samsung and that was it's own mistake as my younger son, who bought the house, has had to replace the washer twice

NONE of the major brands actually has a service presence up here, they all use independent local appliance repair companies

Sears had their own people for a while but they finally switched over to third party repair people as well

There is no Sears up here anymore by the way

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We bought Kenmore for years simply because we always bought the extended warranty and getting service was simple, but the last Kenmore washer and dryer we got were a nightmare and I can't count the number of service calls

I wasn't smart enough to figure out we could have gotten a new machine due to lemon laws until the tech explained it AFTER the time period had run

When the washer finally completely gave out literally a week after the extended warranty was up, the tech said we bought the absolute worst washer they had ever produced and oddly enough, the absolute best dryer they had ever had

We replaced them with Samsung and that was it's own mistake as my younger son, who bought the house, has had to replace the washer twice

NONE of the major brands actually has a service presence up here, they all use independent local appliance repair companies

Sears had their own people for a while but they finally switched over to third party repair people as well

There is no Sears up here anymore by the way
I don’t think there is Sears anywhere anymore.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s the way things seem to be these days. It seems like every 6 months I replace the igniter on our gas dryer. Every year I replace the igniter in the furnace and that thing only runs a half dozen times a winter.

After 2.5 decades of tree work I can confirm this. And the more guys on the crew the shorter the saws lives seem to be. But that saw probably paid for itself 100 times over.

You know this but most fellers don’t realize that chainsaws are the cheapest motorized equipment on a tree job.

For refrigerators all of them are junk compared to the older ones. LG and Samsung are the worst, but most aren’t lasting more than 4-5 years anymore. That is if they don’t shít the bed in months. Usually the compressor. Hopefully you bought the longest warranty you could.

Our Samsung is going on 10 years now and it was supposedly the most reliable, according to consumers reports, at the time. I’ve had to fix the water supply solenoid twice, replace the defrost timer for both the freezer side and refer side, and relocate the defrost heat sensor. The defrost heat sensor and water fill solenoid were within a month after the fridge was delivered. The quality has only gone downhill since on them.

Back in the day you could expect a fridge to last 20 years and maybe only replace a defrost timer on them once.

@Oddsandends if you’re going to a trade school you could do a lot worse than HVAC school. Take any and all appliance repair courses they offer and pay close attention to how to diagnose electronics problems. You will be thousands ahead just fixing your own junk on top of making bank at your day job.

I wish 1000 dollar chainsaws were the only thing that ever broke.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This house has a Bravos XL top load washer in it, not sure if it is original at about 12 years or not but it had been flawless for us so far. Have fallen in love with the top load style after 3 different front loaders. If this fails will likely buy something similar again.

I bet you have the later model with the cast hub. Washer has been good otherwise

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think there is Sears anywhere anymore.
The manager of the Sears store in El Paso told me when I was 18 that Sears wasn't in the retail business, they were in the money lending business

He was referring to their credit card, that anyone could get regardless of history, and the outrageous interest they charged

He gave me an account on the spot so I could buy my first tool cabinet set and I paid it off, every month, and got a bigger and bigger credit line over the years until I was old enough and smart enough to quit using the Sears account

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate the *f-wording *s-wordheaded cocklicking swear word censor too Dally.
thought there was age limit here
and why so many *f-wording censored *f-wording words because someone is crying about a word ?
if they are so *f-wording worried about a word should meet us in person
the censorship *B-S.... is really *f-wording retarded
by the time its done it will be so redacted there is only black lines
Mine the drum bearings started to make noise at 2-1/2-3 years and completely failed at less than 5. Few hundred to fix if I wanted to but the computer boards were a known failure point also at 400$ or so. Just gave up and bought the speed queen. Cabrio dryer still going though
the computer board on the dryer was 200 bucks
that was 5 years ago
Wish me luck: family about to arrive for the birthday party… I’ll check in when it’s over.
good luck girl