Not So Pro 3

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each year we have an opportunity to attend State Fire School for continuing education. It’s 2 days of school and courses start at 4 hrs, then 8hrs and finally a couple full 16hr courses if one chooses to take a more involved subject. The last time I attended, I took a 4 hr course on The Hidden Dangers of Hoarding. It was eye opening. The types of people that hoard, have a serious disorder. Most of them are ashamed to live like that, but something in their brain tells them not to throw anything away.
Is the tendency to try to save their stuff or to get the heck out of the house? Safety or stuff first?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the tendency to try to save their stuff or to get the heck out of the house? Safety or stuff first?
Good question, preserving life is priority number 1. Safety becomes an issue in a hoarding fire for numerous reasons, the biggest issues being A) fires seat deeply into the piles of trash and everything must be torn apart to put it out (much like a hay bale fire), and B) the structure itself is already stressed with extra weight, now add hundreds of gallons of water to that scenario and dangers like floor collapse become much more likely.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question, preserving life is priority number 1. Safety becomes an issue in a hoarding fire for numerous reasons, the biggest issues being A) fires seat deeply into the piles of trash and everything must be torn apart to put it out (much like a hay bale fire), and B) the structure itself is already stressed with extra weight, now add hundreds of gallons of water to that scenario and dangers like floor collapse become much more likely.

Granted I've not had any of that training, but if it was a blaze and I was on scene, after life was safe, I'd just let that *s-word burn down to the ground and let it keep going if the fire wanted to, floors be damned let it all burn, a nice hot fire cleans out the trash, and signals new beginnings.

I've torched a few things in my time, let the *b-word burn, if everyone is safe.

My first thought when I saw that POS today was opening the doors, shoveling that trash into the nearest dumpster, than lighting the truck on fire. Or plan B) just lighting the entire truck on fire and letting it burn. Save all the shoveling.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning men, doing morning chores and then heading to Randy's. Told Misha to be here around 8:30. Only told him once, let's see if he follows directions. Waiting for first light to feed the goats.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get busy slacker
Should have told your buddy to be there at 6
I don't feed the goats in the dark, some would come out of the shelter and eat all the food while yhe rest wait for light. Slacking with a cup of coffee. Wife made some cookies I will bring. See y'all soon.