Not So Pro 3

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening all. Working towards full Dallas now, waiting for coffee to finish.

Smoked Smothered Chicken, oven roasted potatoes, pickled red onion and broccoli salad.

View attachment 280627
Very nice. Are the onions home made? Something about smoked meat and pickles.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Evening all. Working towards full Dallas now, waiting for coffee to finish.

Smoked Smothered Chicken, oven roasted potatoes, pickled red onion and broccoli salad.

View attachment 280627
looks delish
We don't do broccoli here. Too much ventilator windbaggedness

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sure are. First attempt at them. Pretty good but not completely satisfied. Used this recipe https://heygrillhey.com/pickled-red-onions/
We have not done onions alone, but my initial thoughts just looking at the recipe would be to give the onions a little more of a cook than what that calls for, maybe adding to the brine when you kill the heat or as it cools, and I'd have to have a chili or two and a couple cloves of garlic per jar. Maybe not completely traditional but we don't bind ourselves to tradition here. You could maybe water bath for 20 minutes and throw a couple jars on the shelf.

Now my gears are turning.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have not done onions alone, but my initial thoughts just looking at the recipe would be to give the onions a little more of a cook than what that calls for, maybe adding to the brine when you kill the heat or as it cools, and I'd have to have a chili or two and a couple cloves of garlic per jar. Maybe not completely traditional but we don't bind ourselves to tradition here. You could maybe water bath for 20 minutes and throw a couple jars on the shelf.

Now my gears are turning.

I saw the idea posted yesterday on a local BBQ Facebook group. Decided to give it a shot and will refine in the future. I saw someone comment that the like to “poach” the onions by pouring boiling water over them before putting them in the jar. I may try that but the bite isn’t my issue. The tang of the cider vinegar is pretty sharp needs more sugar, salt or possibly cut with some regular white.

Need to do some ready and experimenting. I’m not really an onion guy, don’t like them raw or grilled on a burger or such but I have loved the picked red onions I have been served when out. Looked in a few stores for some jarred ones but only found ginger.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
happy birthday slacker
i dont keep a eye on those kinda things

Thanks guys. Was just another day but thankfully I was free from the confines of the house. Would have really sucked to be stuck home. Wife is still stuck at home but she is clear on Tuesday or Wednesday. So I had to do the shopping this morning but it allowed me to get some nice t bones for grilling this week.