High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HUSQVARNA New saw leaking oil

1cmathis

New OPE Member
Local time
5:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I purchased my first chain saw about three months ago - Husqvarna 450 Rancher. Used it once and put it away. today I see oil has run out of the bottom of the case it's in. Took it out of the case, cleaned the oil off the bottm, but can't tell where it's coming from. I assume it's chain oil?

Any ideas what or where I should be looking for the problem.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE! A lot of saws leak bar oil while sitting. Some more than others.
I’m sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give some advice. I’m not very familiar with that saw.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They leak bar oil, some much more than others, some very little. If they're leaking a ton you can check to make sure the oil tank vent is clear and functioning properly. I also like to let mine sit in the grass for an hour or so before being put away as they seem to leak the most while still warm.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've worked on several of the 450's and none leaked bar oil to notice really. However, have had several various brands and models where oil line from pump to bar pad at one end would need some sealer added to tighten fit. The bar oil tank vent is behind the small metal stiffening plate that goes onto the single bar stud of 450. Behind that metal stiffening plate is a sintered bronze disc and then behind that is a rubber duckbill check valve. You could take bar and chain off and clean up saw and let it sit for a while where somewhat hot and you should locate the leak quickly. They can all spring some leaks, good luck with whatever you try.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can also leak a lot if they are stored where there is a lot of temperature fluctuations. The oil expands and contracts and a bit seems to get pushed out when it expands I've found

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unscrew the chain side cover, scrape and clean,
it probably says this in owners manual.

Mine are worse lol.
I made a rack to hang bar down for times they don't get tended right away.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarnas seem to leak oil a lot, as do many other saws. It is a slow leak generally. I think part of it is all the oil on the bar and chain and in little cavities around there eventually seeps out after use. Temperature and barometric changes might also cause oil to get pumped out.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a husky 357 that i bought new and it would leak all of the oil out of the tank if i let it sit with oil. i changed the oil pickup line and it hasnt leaked a drop since. sometimes when they put them together they dont get a seal between the tube and the tank

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a husky 357 that i bought new and it would leak all of the oil out of the tank if i let it sit with oil. i changed the oil pickup line and it hasnt leaked a drop since. sometimes when they put them together they dont get a seal between the tube and the tank

I bought a new one also and it leaked as well. Leaked right up to the day it was stolen, not sure if it continued to leak after that? But I’m not bitter over it[emoji2959][emoji2959] sure was a great saw tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have had it for 11 years and just had someone mod the muffler while it was out of service i replace the oil hose on bothe sides of the pump. not a drop. the mod made that saw run like i expected it to run from the get go

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find that if you let the saw cool a little and then open the oil cap to relieve pressure it minimizes the leakage. You can do that with the fuel cap as well.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i do that on all my saws too

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most saws leak some oil: from the case, from the oil mechanism, or residual off the bar and chain. I do 2 things:

1. If I am not going to use the saw again for a few days, I just drain it back into the jug. No need to waste it. I use those disposable, paper funnels from the gas station.

2. I line the saw cases with oil absorbent pads from auto parts stores or industrial supply houses. The hold much more oil than newspapers, cardboard, paper towels etc., and keep things clean,

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E.G. yesterday (a few strips of duct tape help to hold the paper funnel in place).

Daining Bar Oil.jpg

Philbert

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started to assemble saws I had taken apart using three bond or any silicon on the oil lines. I seal the line in the tank, the press fit doesn't hold well on some lines and the silicon fixes it. I also carefully use some from the line to the pump, and from the pump to the output hose, sealing each connection. The only place I have any oil come out is from the bar now. They might settle and drip a little puddle bit it stops there.

Eddie Southgate

One Step Ahead Of The Law
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Southern Middle Tennessee and Hillsboro Alabama
Country flag
My 272 is 23 years old and has leaked bar oil into its case for exactly that many years . My 40 something year old Stihls seem never to leak . No idea why , never worried about it just learned to live with it .