Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is everyone so serious lately?
It's all good in da hood, really...
emoji16.png
Now who you talking to. Hard to tell sometimes when you don't use the quote button ;).
I wasn't sure if it was me or Mr. Lee.
Serious, me all the time!:jaja-no:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You type to fast...lol
It's all good...[emoji1666]

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may need the NK chain. There were problems on the 550 when running an nk bar and not an nk chain, we didn't have that problem on the earlier saws like the 346 chassis.
If I want a light bar for a smaller saw I run a laminate bar, does it wear out quicker, yes, will it take kickbacks from boring, no, does it cost more in the end, probably not. In the larger saws I run the stihl lightweight bars or tsumara rw. The cost of running them isn't bad compared to what you're getting. Now if I was buying bars for other guys to use...

i'm very curious what problems did nk-bar with non nk-chain combination cause? because i have 100ft roll RS .325 .050 (paid 225 euros for that :)) and basically only interested on the new bar from stihl to run that bargain chain.....
Oregon speedcut and RS work fine together.....

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i'm very curious what problems did nk-bar with non nk-chain combination cause? because i have 100ft roll RS .325 .050 (paid 225 euros for that :)) and basically only interested on the new bar from stihl to run that bargain chain.....

I believe there was an issue with it hitting in the clutch cover and the chain wouldn’t turn

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe there was an issue with it hitting in the clutch cover and the chain wouldn’t turn
On some saws. Also, NK bar may not fully support the full width chain tie straps, so you could get funny wear.

Narrow kerf bars tend to be more flexible, which some people don't like. If I scored a deal of 100' of bargain chain, I might throw a few euros at getting a compatible, bargain bar to use with it. JMHO

Philbert

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If this new bar is 0.9mm (.035") thinner, I'm assuming they're comparing it to a .180" thick ES Light bar.
.145" is about right for a NK Oregon/Husq 16"-18" bar.
.160" for a laminated E bar.
The only issue I can see running a 23RS chain on a NK bar is uneven wear on the underside of the cutters and side links.
Any peening of the links shouldn't cause any kinking against the drive links as it would be on the opposite side of the drive links.

Benefits would be good kerf clearance for the chain to efficiently cut when the cutters are filed real small down behind the witness marks.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20191016_145110.jpg But I may be wrong, the thinner bar rails may cause more peening on the 23RS links and cutters on the inside.....
NK chain on a .160" E bar definitely would cause outside peening ......
I'm far away from my saws and enjoying South Carolina too much.
Don't want to go home:D

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I thought they were hitting the case around the clutch area.
Thats one angry little plastic saw. I have a 2145 with a ported 346 cylinder, but it's more of what I would consider a woods port, fun little saw. I think I'll get it out as soon as I sell another 346.

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, NK bar may not fully support the full width chain tie straps, so you could get funny wear.
Narrow kerf bars tend to be more flexible, which some people don't like. If I scored a deal of 100' of bargain chain, I might throw a few euros at getting a compatible, bargain bar to use with it. JMHO

Philbert

The only issue I can see running a 23RS chain on a NK bar is uneven wear on the underside of the cutters and side links. Any peening of the links shouldn't cause any kinking against the drive links as it would be on the opposite side of the drive links.
Benefits would be good kerf clearance for the chain to efficiently cut when the cutters are filed real small down behind the witness marks.

Indeed, this is the case......... Measured RS .325 .050 chains tie straps side to side just below rivet, got 4,30mm / 0.172"
then measured RS .325 .063 chain same way..... got 4,30mm / 0.172".
Husqvarna SP33G 3,80mm / 0.152"
Oregon 95TXL 3,80mm / 0.152"
New Oregon Speedcut bar 3,85mm / 0.154"

Finding a bar that would fully support Stihl RS .325 .050 chain seems quite impossible, at least this side of the pond.
Oregon speedcut 15" bar costs just under 30 euros ( 34 usd ) so i cosider it as a bargain bar......:)
RV

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
General question without opening another thread.

I thought cutters would be forged, I spoke to an engineer the other day that said he thought they were stamped out of metal sheet and bent over a form.

Any thoughts?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought cutters would be forged, I spoke to an engineer the other day that said he thought they were stamped out of metal sheet . . .
I had the opportunity to visit the Oregon factory a few years back.

The cutters, drive links, and tie straps which form the saw chains I saw were all stamped out of metal strips. That said, the engineer who accompanied me stressed that the way in which the metal is formed makes a big difference in the end product. Their cutters were 'progressively' formed (multiple steps and dies instead of a single impact); then heat treated to relieve stress and achieve the designed hardness; chrome plated; etc.

Some parts were tumbled / deburred. And I can't tell you if they used different steel for the different parts (some things were proprietary). But I was impressed with their quality assurance steps, which I think are very important - metallurgy includes both arts and science.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This video is from Archer Chain, and is a few years old. The Oregon process that I saw was much more automated, but this gives you an idea of the multiple steps involved. I assume that STIHL is also highly automated.

At one end, imagine keeping track of all of those little parts when you make dozens of different chain types and sizes, and have the capacity to make miles of chain per day. At the other end, remember that Joe Cox started Oregon by manufacturing chain in his basement in 1946!

Philbert

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here's what I received from the Stihl Rep via email inquiry and sending pics of the RS PRO chain.

Dear Mr. Turner,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email. That is a chain that is not sold in the US. There are several STIHL products that you will run across online that we do not offer in the states for various reasons. What we offer is on www.stihlusa.com, and what is offered internationally is www.stihl.com.

Thank you again for contacting STIHL.

Best regards,

Trey Vickery
Technical Service Representative

STIHL Inc.

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what countries / regions have these already?

Does anyone know anyone in those regions who is willing to ship to other OPE members?