New 562 xp

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In addition to Shaun's comments, I always ran that Husqvarna semi-synthetic oil @40:1 through my 562s and never had a problem with them in regard to hard starts, hesitations, vapor lock, or flooding. In fact,
that's all I run in my saws now, including my vintage saws that originally ran on 25:1.

I ran my 562s hard at elevations from sea level up to 8500' on commercial hazard tree falling jobs. There were days where those saws were running ten hours with a 28" bar.

I wonder if we have less issues with them out here because of the longer bars loading the power head more. That said I haven’t had an issue with mine either my only complaint was the dawgs didn’t like our second growth bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if we have less issues with them out here because of the longer bars loading the power head more. That said I haven’t had an issue with mine either my only complaint was the dawgs didn’t like our second growth bark.

The stock dogs suck, get the large west coast ones. Part number 576873002.

For fuel, 50:1 seems to kill bearings in these saws after a while. It's best to run 40:1.
50:1 is only the recommendation for EPA emission reasons, more oil will not hurt. Actually they seem to run cooler.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stock dogs suck, get the large west coast ones. Part number 576873002.

For fuel, 50:1 seems to kill bearings in these saws after a while. It's best to run 40:1.
50:1 is only the recommendation for EPA emission reasons, more oil will not hurt. Actually they seem to run cooler.

I had the west coast dawgs they sucked in our thick second growth Doug fir bark.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Damn, that’s a lot of firewood. ever thought of a processor?

More than once.
Cash flow issues.
If I buy (read finance) a processor I would be tight buying truckloads of logs to feed it.
I've considered Dyna's entry level, as they are built in Michigan. Ruled it out because the wedges are not hydraulically adjustable. I like the Euro models. Very good access to splitting chamber. The operator stands in front of machine facing forward. Some operator stations are more parallel to the splitting chamber, and focus is off to one side. I split on both sides of the SuperSplit because working one side was the same motion on the knees and it began to tell me. One consideration is Halki pilke 38 Pro.
Need to work with what I have for now.

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know, but not really. I use an umbrella in the afternoon.
I guessing I just need to keep cutting and figure out what works. It's just does not seem consistent, but still early.
I'm going to pick up the 357 later this week and will also ask then.
I do remove all straight gas and diesel cans from nursery wagon before cutting/splitting.
View attachment 243792
Nice looking set up, I too have problems with vapour lock on that saw. Posted yesterday in the 60-70 cc saw thread. Huskyboy, led me to the vapour lock theory, so I did a fair bit of reading last night. The saw heating up fully explains the issue, mine is a 2012, I thought the new holes in the cover and some heat deflecting would have solved the issue.

Last edited:

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ran the 357 xp today, and got into a second tank of gas.
Absolutely no issues, so it is not the gas mix.
Good to know, but I was hoping it was that simple.
I was having trouble starting the 357 as well when I took it to the shop.
They replaced the fuel filter in the tank.
It's my favorite...
Decompression, and one pull.

Left the 562 with them to run it and see what's up.
Hoping I might hear from them this afternoon but did not happen.

Edit: i'm running Stihl synthetic mix. The container does not say what ratio mix it is, just add to 2 1/2 gal. It's full synthetic and says bio degradable. How can that be?

Last edited:

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Using the decomp on the 550 MK1 and 562 when warm can flood them, it's just fine to use it when cold. I don't know exactly why but it probably releases too much compression to burn everything and I suspect the Autotune is adding a little extra fuel during starting. We all know the carbs can suffer from heat soak which can cause a rich condition right away when fuel inside the carb has a lot of pressure from it's increased temperature and vapor lock later on once it's pretty much boiled out.

The best modifications to combat heat on these is a good muffler mod and I like to add reflective 3M aluminum tape to the cylinder side of the intake partition when I have it all apart.

On these saws you can hit the primmer bulb as many times as you want. It only pulls fresh fuel from the tank through the carb and returns it to the tank. So if you think the carb is heat soaked you can try to cool it down with fresh fuel with the bulb if you can get it to pull fuel.

As for hot start procedure.
2 pulls regular, no decomp or fast idle.
If it doesn't pop, engage fast idle and pull a few times.
If that fails, full throttle drop starts might work but you'll have to hide from the safety police while doing it.

Thank you.
I left the 562 at the shop when I picked up the 357, but this is where I'll start when it gets home.

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Crane hope that this will be an easy fix and you will get your saw back in great running condition, it always sucks to have these problems when shelling out $$$ for a brand new product.

I can only second to what @srcarr52 said, here is what use to happen to mine.

I have observed the same behavior on the MK1 2018 and 562 2016 V2, I am presuming they have the same gen AT.
Both saws ported and using 32:1.

Pre 2019: Both saws when cold: high idle, decomp, purge: 2-3 pumps cleared out all the air, then additional 2-3 pumps just in case, 2-3 brisk pulls and the saw pops.
After pop: put both back to high idle and both would start on the 1-2 pulls.

When warmed up: 15+ minutes of hard cutting, and sitting in the sun on a 80F+ day:
Both saws would have to be in high idle and no decomp: if I had decomp on, I could pull as hard as I could and both would not start.

Important thing learned, always user the purge valve on hot restarts, I can feel air being purged out, 2-3 pumps did it for me.
Then place her in high idle, and always a brisk start, if I did a lazy start on the 1st pull, I had to pull harder on the 2nd start to avoid flooding.

Interesting observation: both saws after hot restart would race to their high idle setting only to cut off for a small moment and barely before dying the engine would recover.
Whether some kind of AT safety kicked in or air/vapor being purged out, I have no idea.

Then both saws were at the dealer in Feb 2019 to get the latest update:

After the update, I fired up the MK1 and instantly noticed that the saw had a deeper richer sound. At first I thought that it was a placebo effect but then I picked up the 562 and same experience.
Before the saws had a more whiny tone, but still four stroking at WOT, after the update a more richer sounding tone in the lower to mid RPM range.

I did one final test on hot restart: no decomp and no hing idle.
Before the update the saws would never start without high idle, after the update, both saws start on the 1-2 pulls without high idle.

Wondering if the fuel mapping got adjusted with the 2019 update to ease the hot restarts that so many have reported. Ever since then, I no longer have to use high idle and saw restarts without any problems.

Cutting elevation 1500 to about 4000ft, temp range 50 to 95F, more humid climate.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl MS440 with a fussy idle. The problem I have this saw, or any other fussy saw for that matter, is that I tend to be preoccupied with whether it's gonna run right when I should be focussing on the job and staying safe. Had just such an "oops" moment last week cutting up a snag oak blowdown across the street and almost got a headache for my trouble.

Last edited:

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
pwheel: Agreed, a fussy saw does change the focus, and wears on me all the more on the tail end of the day.

Greatly appreciate the responses.

I did half a cord earlier today, using the 357.
Mostly one pull starts, without high idle, but not all.

Using the Posch PackFix, one pallet or fill drum equals 1/4 cord stacked.
I started the saw thirteen times to cut/split 1/2 cord.
That's start the saw, cut two logs, shut the saw off and set it on the nursery wagon, split, repeat.
Or another way, twenty six 100" logs, varying from 4"-12" dia. for 1/2 cord.
IMG_2998.jpg 59069917920__D4AED0D2-8BDB-4B9C-AA14-7ED831418A9A.jpg IMG_3618.jpg IMG_3620 (1).jpg IMG_3623.jpg
Some of these are older pictures, and it is set up in two different places, shown by the forklift being on two different sides. The second picture is more recent, and shows the base sitting on concrete pads. The others show how the netting is wrapped on the outside as the fill drum is lifted. This is why there is a turntable and two drums, to move the full drum from under the conveyor to be wrapped and lifted. The empty drum could be filled as the full drum is wrapped.

Last edited:

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did get a call back, 12:23 Saturday.
Greatly appreciated!
He ran it, no issues, hot or cold.
He did have a question for Husqvarna and is waiting for a reply.
Said he would try them again Monday, saying many of the techs are probably working from home.
In the mean time I'm looking at Masterminds 562 tread.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw shops often won't diagnose vapour lock issues as they cannot replicate the conditions that cause it. Near always they run and check the saw & send it out the door with a green pass.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
357 is running and starting fine after a new plug and fuel filter.
Been going to this shop, VIP in Grand Haven, MI, for a couple three or four years. He knows there are several other options that I drive by just to deal with him. I think he sold me the 357 eleven years ago at a different shop, a rental place that also sold Husqvarna at the time. It was my first Husqvarna after a couple decades with a Stihl 044, one saw plan for personal burn use.
Older photo again, but shows about a cord and a half of chips. I'm also getting almost a full load of bark.
Doing about 3/4 cord per day right now. Logs are pretty dirty so I'm brushing them off, scraping the ones that were on the ground with a plastic wedge. The chain needs sharpening about each half cord. Lots of bark pealing off, which makes for more clean up time. Plus, it's been hot. Most days if there is a breeze it's not bad. Today just the tree tops are moving, nothing down below.IMG_8101.jpg

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Saw shops often won't diagnose vapour lock issues as they cannot replicate the conditions that cause it.

88° today.
I cut almost 1/2 cord with the 357, and vapor lock.
Starts, no throttle control, idles, dies.
Starts, repeat...repeat...multiple times.

The 562 is done, but have not picked it up from the shop yet.
I got out the 661 power head, cleaned up a 20" bar that was starting to burr, sharpened the chain.
Cut two logs to finish the 1/2 cord and went to the beach with Margaret...

5:40 pm now, and raining...

Planning to run the 357 tomorrow, and pick up the 562 Thursday morning.
I've thought about selling the 661 simply because it doesn't get used.
Today I am rethinking that idea, and possibly going all Stihl.
Any suggestions on which Stihl to bump the, two week old, 562?

Ah, tick season! Margaret just found one crawling on her. Second one.
Dog had one a few days ago.
Today we also had a visitor, a good size snapper up from the wetland and in Margarets flower garden looking to lay eggs.
There is a 30' high 40° wooded slope behind the house. Pretty good climb for a dog, let alone a turtle.

brad ruch

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For the Stihl a MS 362 CM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will vapor lock the 661 or most any saw when it gets into the mid 90’s if your running it hard and leaving it in the sun. Some are better than others. Ive grown to hate 562’s and personally swore off them for summer use. But the real problem is today’s pump gas... which is garbage and boils at as low as 100 degrees. They know this... the epa wants to get rid of carburetors. The key is to keep your fuel and saw in the shade and idle it down before you shut it off. Canned non ethanol fuel is more resistant to boiling but is more expensive. Also... if you haven’t already... do a muffler mod on that 357xp and 562 so it lets heat out. It will help a lot. A carb divider heat block wall like on the 572 is the most ideal thing... hopefully we will see that more on new saws.