High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

New 562 xp

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've cut three cords of 16" firewood with this so far.
Having trouble starting it.
Starts cold.
Warm, the manual says NOT to use the decompression valve.
What is a decompression valve for?
I bought it in part because of this feature on my 357 xp, and wanted the replacement saw to have one.
After hit and miss one pull starts I read the manual.
Do not use decompression valve...
I do set high idle, and still have to pull multiple times.
Is this the best this saw can do, or is it operator error?
This is my set-up.
I cut two logs, one each side, and split.
So lots of starting...
IMG_3111.jpg

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was it hot and sitting in the sun? Hot weather and sitting in the sun are not compatible with the 562xp lol. They suck in the heat. They made many changes to the 550mk 2 and 572 to rectify this.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good to know, but not really. I use an umbrella in the afternoon.
I guessing I just need to keep cutting and figure out what works. It's just does not seem consistent, but still early.
I'm going to pick up the 357 later this week and will also ask then.
I do remove all straight gas and diesel cans from nursery wagon before cutting/splitting.
58800488096__E06709CF-DEB3-4DC2-857E-331E65246B96.jpg

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
80•, full sun, nice breeze.
Cut almost four pallets today.
That's one cord.
A little trouble starting around pallet three.
Some late afternoon texting and a long phone call from my wife, I was going to call it a day.
Had a Gatoraide, and hit it some more.

Near the end of the fourth pallet, the saw would start and die. Start and immediately die.
I did not get to run it to finish up.

Picking up the 357 xp in the morning and dropping this one off.
The shop knows it is coming.
Could be as simple as the fresh gas I got was stale when I got it.
Also, I did notice the primer bulb did not fill as it did earlier in the day.

Thirty five mile run each way, but worth the drive.

brad ruch

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What year is the saw?I think the newest carb came out last year?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for your posts and comments.
I truly hope this is bad gas or operator error... and not the saw.

I picked up the 357 and dropped off the 562 at 8:00 this morning.
First real possibility is bad gas, even though it was purchased and mixed last week, non ethanol and Stihl synthetic mix. 2.5 gal.
You have to read the bottles of mix, as there is also 2 gal. mix.
One reason I say that is the 357 was starting great up until the first tank of fresh mix.
One pull starts. Chain brake, decompression, high idle (choke on/choke off), pull and go.

It is possible the way I cut is problematic for the auto tune.
My buddy did cut a cord a few weeks ago with a 550 and no issues.
He did use his own fuel.
He also has a 562 w/24" bar set up.
He is my first go to, and is suggesting the shop didn't do the break-in procedure.

I have full, complete, confidence in this shop, driving 25 miles past another shop to these guys. The closer shop may be good too, I've never tried them since they acquired a franchise years ago, after another local place lost, or gave up theirs. I do not know their story. The closed franchise is where I bought the 357, again, eleven years ago. I think the mechanic I go to now, left the first place, partnered up with someone and opened a very nice shop. Don't hold me to it, but I think thats pretty close to how it goes.

I have cut with my ms 661 for months and no issues. Same cutting set up, on for ten cuts, off, split 12 rounds, cut again.
It is simply to big and heavy a saw, more compression even with decom. valve to start 50-75 times a day (100-150 8' logs).
I have a three saw system. 021 (15 yrs old); 357 (11 yrs old, and go to saw); ms 661 (maybe 4 yrs old)
And now the 562 to replace the 357. (or maybe not)

The saw shop sells Stihl as well, and mentioned their battery saws today as a possibility for this type of cutting (and my shoulder), as I typically cut 12" or less, less being the key word.

I've never considered a battery powered chain saw, but may.
Just not sure if that would work for a cord of wood per day over a four hour period.
Much of that time is splitting, and wrapping with the Posch PackFix, loading the log decks, and maybe (4) 20-25 minute periods of start/stop saw run time.
Note photos in post #1 and #3.

When running, this 562 saw is top notch. I really like it!
Running 18" bar, full chisel.

Getting into some dirty logs. I have had this 20 cord semi load for a year. Bark is falling off, but the ground logs are dirty and wet, with this past year being especially wet.
Should have picked up some semi-chisel chain today and didn't, but I'll be going back soon. .058 ga. Can't buy it anywhere.

I'll be curious to talk to the mechanic again about the 562.

Two loads of logs this spring. The one on the left in second photo is cut/split. There is one semi load (6 axle behind the cab straight bed and 4 axle pup) left of that, which is the furthest row in first picture. I'm working on now.
IMG_0091.jpg IMG_2555.jpg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using the decomp on the 550 MK1 and 562 when warm can flood them, it's just fine to use it when cold. I don't know exactly why but it probably releases too much compression to burn everything and I suspect the Autotune is adding a little extra fuel during starting. We all know the carbs can suffer from heat soak which can cause a rich condition right away when fuel inside the carb has a lot of pressure from it's increased temperature and vapor lock later on once it's pretty much boiled out.

The best modifications to combat heat on these is a good muffler mod and I like to add reflective 3M aluminum tape to the cylinder side of the intake partition when I have it all apart.

On these saws you can hit the primmer bulb as many times as you want. It only pulls fresh fuel from the tank through the carb and returns it to the tank. So if you think the carb is heat soaked you can try to cool it down with fresh fuel with the bulb if you can get it to pull fuel.

As for hot start procedure.
2 pulls regular, no decomp or fast idle.
If it doesn't pop, engage fast idle and pull a few times.
If that fails, full throttle drop starts might work but you'll have to hide from the safety police while doing it.

Does the saw have an hesitation off idle? The early carbs had a massive issue with a lean idle which made acceleration terrible and the saw would stutter, hiccup or die off idle because it was starving for fuel. The reason is that the auto tune was leaning out the mixture to raise the idle speed but it really needs a slight bit more air past the throttle blade, which there is no adjustment for and the autotune can't control. The solution was to slightly increase the notch or make a small notch over the low speed ports in the throttle blade. A very small amount of material needs to be removed, too much and the saw will idle very fast and you'll be replacing the throttle blade.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In addition to Shaun's comments, I always ran that Husqvarna semi-synthetic oil @40:1 through my 562s and never had a problem with them in regard to hard starts, hesitations, vapor lock, or flooding. In fact,
that's all I run in my saws now, including my vintage saws that originally ran on 25:1.

I ran my 562s hard at elevations from sea level up to 8500' on commercial hazard tree falling jobs. There were days where those saws were running ten hours with a 28" bar.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does the saw have an hesitation off idle?

I've only run three or four full tanks through it.
I think four. Three cord would be four tanks... Yes.

Each refuel, absolutely.
After that, once in a great while after start up.
After the first cut, never.

Hot start.
Chain brake, no decompression, starts 50% first pull.
Never on second pull. Starts third, forth, fifth pull.
With decompression pressed, high idle typically not till third, forth, tenth pull.
I will try the primer bulb for hot starts as suggested.
Never had a saw with this feature.
Stihl backpack blower has a primer bulb for cold starts.

Honestly, I try different things. They work, then they don't. Try something else. Still searching for the right combo. Still hoping this is operator error.

Question: The mix gas is still suspect, although runs strong after start up.
What do you do with a gallon plus of mix gas?
I do not want to dump it on the ground.

Going out to run the 357 for a bit.