Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
11:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the 046/MS-460 is still a relevant machine. Joe recently did Dyno runs including the 460 and it ran right with some other more modern saws.

The anti-vibe would be the main issue for some people.
I use both my 462 and my 460 daily. I love them both equally.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the 046/MS-460 is still a relevant machine. Joe recently did Dyno runs including the 460 and it ran right with some other more modern saws.

The anti-vibe would be the main issue for some people.

Someone would have to pry my 046 out of my cold dead hands before I'd give it up.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For clarification, this saw is actually a 462 C-M. Stihl only puts the C on the recoil badge but the tag on front reads C-M, like every mtron saw. Certainly would’ve been much less confusing for everyone had they stamped the M on there as well

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand, you are correct that "c" stands for comfort....in the case of the 462, that means it has the m-tronic system

I don't own a 462, but looking at the Stihl website, the 462 appears to be a unicorn. There is no 462C, which is weird as the 462 has all the comfort features listed. So the "C' is implied in the manual carb model 462.

The 462C-M is the M-Tronic version which follows the traditional Stihl pattern where the C indicates comfort features.

Whereas the 362 manual carb model has no comfort features listed, and you have to buy the 362C-M to get them.

What the heck Stihl? That's damn confusing.

So what's for sale here appears to be a 462C-M per the Stihl website. I'm not contradicting what Matt has said, he certainly knows what he's selling and his word in final.

Sorry for the tangent... take it as a free bump. :)

Edit: damn Kevin beat me to it

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
11:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For clarification, this saw is actually a 462 C-M. Stihl only puts the C on the recoil badge but the tag on front reads C-M, like every mtron saw. Certainly would’ve been much less confusing for everyone had they stamped the M on there as well
Thanks for clarifying.

Matt Schmitt

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the ringer what’s the Z? 😂😂 Spark arrest/screen, I assume.

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't own a 462, but looking at the Stihl website, the 462 appears to be a unicorn. There is no 462C, which is weird as the 462 has all the comfort features listed. So the "C' is implied in the manual carb model 462.

The 462C-M is the M-Tronic version which follows the traditional Stihl pattern where the C indicates comfort features.

Whereas the 362 manual carb model has no comfort features listed, and you have to buy the 362C-M to get them.

What the heck Stihl? That's damn confusing.

So what's for sale here appears to be a 462C-M per the Stihl website. I'm not contradicting what Matt has said, he certainly knows what he's selling and his word in final.

Sorry for the tangent... take it as a free bump. :)

Edit: damn Kevin beat me to it
I believe what they are trying to imply is that the C stands for the comfort feature, which in this case is the Mtronic.

Take 2 462’s, 1 adjustable and 1 mtron. The adjustable is just called a 462 and the mtron will be called a C-M (but the badge says 462C). The only comfort feature added is the Mtron

Matt Schmitt

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a very tempting offer and a great price on a hard to get saw right now.
Went into local dealer yesterday. They had the manual carb with 25” regular bar for 1360 plus tax would have been 1455 otd.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe what they are trying to imply is that the C stands for the comfort feature, which in this case is the Mtronic.

Take 2 462’s, 1 adjustable and 1 mtron. The adjustable is just called a 462 and the mtron will be called a C-M (but the badge says 462C). The only comfort feature added is the Mtron

Agreed that's what I see on the website (I don't have either saw), but I'm not sure what they're doing. Other than causing confusion.

The "C" has always meant comfort. The "M" has always meant M-Tronic.
The 362C-M and 462C-M have both comfort features and M-Tronic. All is well with those.
The 362 follows this pattern. MS362 = manual carb, no comfort.
The 462 is a unicorn. The MS462 = manual carb... with comfort. WTF?

It's just a weird inconsistency that I wouldn't expect from a German company.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed that's what I see on the website (I don't have either saw), but I'm not sure what they're doing. Other than causing confusion.

The "C" has always meant comfort. The "M" has always meant M-Tronic.
The 362C-M and 462C-M have both comfort features and M-Tronic. All is well with those.
The 362 follows this pattern. MS362 = manual carb, no comfort.
The 462 is a unicorn. The MS462 = manual carb... with comfort. WTF?

It's just a weird inconsistency that I wouldn't expect from a German company.
What’s the comfort feature in an Mtronic 462 that isn’t there in an adjustable 462 though?

The 362, 661, and 261 use the same nomenclature as the 462. The adjustable carburetor models don’t have the C (or C-M) designation. And if you add Mtronic, it becomes a C-M, with no other comfort features added. The point I’m trying to make is that in this case, the comfort feature is the Mtronic.

Last edited:

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the comfort feature in an Mtronic 462?

The 362, 661, and 261 use the same nomenclature as the 462. The adjustable carburetor models don’t have the C designation. And if you add Mtronic, it becomes a C-M, with no other comfort features added. The point I’m trying to make is that in this case, the comfort feature is the Mtronic

Again I'm going by the website. You've handled these saws, so I'll defer to your experience if you're saying otherwise. But here's what Stihl shows:

MS 462 FeaturesMS 462C-M Features
Decompression Valve
Winter/Summer Shutter
Power-to-weight ratio
STIHL Quickstop®
Pre-Separation Air Filtration System
Professional power, rugged dependability, and a standard adjustable carburetor
Master Control Lever™
Ematic™ Lubrication System
High Output Adjustable Oiler

Lightweight sprocket cover with captive bar nuts
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature
Toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers
Unique bumper spike design
STIHL ElastoStart™
HD2 Air Filter
Side-Access Chain Tensioner
Anti-Vibration System

STIHL M-Tronic™
Adjustable Automatic Oiler
Master Control Lever™
STIHL ElastoStart™
Anti-Vibration System
Decompression Valve

I've bolded the features common between them. The elastostart and decomp are the traditional Stihl "comfort features" but it can mean different things for different saws. The 462 has those and everything else the 462C-M has except for the M-Tronic (as you would expect).

It just seems like the 462 is really a 462C, but for some reason Stihl doesn't call it that.

Agreed it could be they're no longer calling those comfort features, and the "new" comfort feature is the M-Tronic? It's just confusing to anyone who's familiar with the traditional naming pattern.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again I'm going by the website. You've handled these saws, so I'll defer to your experience if you're saying otherwise. But here's what Stihl shows:

MS 462 FeaturesMS 462C-M Features
Decompression Valve
Winter/Summer Shutter
Power-to-weight ratio
STIHL Quickstop®
Professional power, rugged dependability, and a standard adjustable carburetor
Master Control Lever™
High Output Adjustable Oiler

Lightweight sprocket cover with captive bar nuts
Toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers
Unique bumper spike design
STIHL ElastoStart™
HD2 Air Filter
Anti-Vibration System

STIHL M-Tronic™
Adjustable Automatic Oiler
Master Control Lever™
STIHL ElastoStart™
Anti-Vibration System
Decompression Valve

I've bolded the features common between them. The elastostart and decomp are the traditional Stihl "comfort features" but it can mean different things for different saws. The 462 has those and everything else the 462C-M has except for the M-Tronic (as you would expect).

It just seems like the 462 is really a 462C, but for some reason Stihl doesn't call it that.

Agreed it could be they're no longer calling those comfort features, and the "new" comfort feature is the M-Tronic? It's just confusing to anyone who's familiar with the traditional naming pattern.
I believe it’s exactly like your last paragraph. Only difference is the carb and maybe a couple associated parts, fw, and coil. Should’ve called them M if they’re otherwise identical

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If there were a stripped down version available for purchase, I’d agree. But I don’t believe you can buy a 462 without the Elastostart or the adjustable oiler, or whatever standard features they’re calling Comfort lol

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin, do you think this 462 (if I had you mod it) would run with my 460?