rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the Chinese are copying the Plitz clutch mod already lol
Personly I think it would pack soild with sawdust especially on inboard clutches .
Screenshot_20190720-103712.jpg

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've never driven a Hellcat but remember my big block 66 El Camino was steer by throttle. The clutch peddle was mostly just a get outo of jail free card when it got too crossed up. It sure was fun driving 45 mph 45 degrees taking up two lanes as you went down the road. Getting stuck on hills in the rain, as though it were ice, wasn't much though. Keep you foot OFF the clutch is generally best for clutch life.
Eggzacly

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like the Chinese are copying the Plitz clutch mod already lol
Personly I think it would pack soild with sawdust especially on inboard clutches .
View attachment 191531
I agree. The mill is the only way or stump cutter imo. Felling pine with heavy pitch has to be hell on that clutch. I don't think it would cut the tree my MS260 did I dropped in a lake, whoops.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the intended purpose of placing holes in the side of a clutch drum - cooling?

Only slippage will cause clutch heat, then again the clutch shouldn't slip to begin with.

Stihl was onto something with the 090 six shoe clutch, why modern clutches feature so little friction surface makes no sense.

I would consider a six shoe clutch an enhancement for modern ported saws.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the intended purpose of placing holes in the side of a clutch drum - cooling?

Only slippage will cause clutch heat, then again the clutch shouldn't slip to begin with.

Stihl was onto something with the 090 six shoe clutch, why modern clutches feature so little friction surface makes no sense.

I would consider a six shoe clutch an enhancement for modern ported saws.

My theory is that it lets particles out that would otherwise be trapped. When I disassemble for service the one with the holes has less oil, dust, grease and such than a solid one. But, I didn't design it, so I couldn't say for sure.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My theory is that it lets particles out that would otherwise be trapped. When I disassemble for service the one with the holes has less oil, dust, grease and such than a solid one. But, I didn't design it, so I couldn't say for sure.

I would imagine it helps to dissipate heat as well.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, first they cover everything with steel plates and plastic cover to prevent/reduce dirt entry to the clutch, then they drill holes into the sides of the clutch drum basically opening the door for all the dirt.

Why not drill holes into the friction surface itself?
That is where the heat comes to be, that is where dirt,oil,grease is unwanted - the centrifugal forces at ~10-13k rpm would surely push all the dirt out.

Huh, I must be missing something. o_O

I have two take off drums for my large frame Dolmar's, I should try drilling holes into them just to see how many holes it takes till the drums fail. ;)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So, first they cover everything with steel plates and plastic cover to prevent/reduce dirt entry to the clutch, then they drill holes into the sides of the clutch drum basically opening the door for all the dirt.

Why not drill holes into the friction surface itself?
That is where the heat comes to be, that is where dirt,oil,grease is unwanted - the centrifugal forces at ~10-13k rpm would surely push all the dirt out.

Huh, I must be missing something. o_O

I have two take off drums for my large frame Dolmar's, I should try drilling holes into them just to see how many holes it takes till the drums fail. ;)
Don't waste your time. I did this to minibikes when I was a kid. The clutch drum just warps all to *s-word from bad heat dissipation and distortion

Vented clutch drums have been around since the nineties.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries, I will not.

Clean dry drum is the ticket, takes a scrench, clean cotton cloth and no more than 5 minutes of time every few tanks full of fuel spent.

A sharp chain helps a lot too.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your clutch/drum gets so hot it needs ventilation holes, you've got bigger problems than needing a ventilated drum. You have a failing clutch system that either needs repair or is not up too the task & too small to begin with.