High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Milling

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would like to buy a mill and start chainsaw milling. Most of the trees I have access to are under 30". I have NEVER run into anything over 48"

That said I was thinking about a 36" mill and then buying or making larger rails if necessary. Conversely, I could buy a 48, and buy/make smaller rails if there would be a benefit I am not aware of. Ultimately, I would like to have various rail lengths to suit the size wood I am cutting.

For you guys that have milled, or actively mill, any advice on brand/model of mill and size?

Thanks, Josh

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a granberg 36". I don't use it much, but it works very well

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can adjust the mill in to any size you want. If you want to cut 36" you have to go bigger than a 36" mill. My 30" gives me 27" inside the uprights. I had a 56" mill and sold it when there wasn't any trees that big. Now I have a tree 35" and need bigger rails again. :( Granberg is lighter than a Panther Pro mill. The extra weight on that side doesn't really bother you once it's all the way in the wood.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't milled all that much but mine is a 24" (needs a 30" bar) and it has worked for what I needed.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I am planning to use a 2095 on the mill.

Thinking about getting a 24" mill to start...then as I progress and gain experience, I can get longer rails, and move into larger trees.

Unfortunately we only have softwoods in my area - aspen, maple, pine, fir, cottonwood. There is some juniper around...never cut it before, but some juniper I have looked at are gnarled and crooked and might make for an interesting project.

Right now, I would like to saw up some fir mantles with a live edge, some aspen to turn into paneling, and rip some lodgepole to turn into fencing.

I have no equipment to handle the logs, so I am limited to what I can cut onsite and carry with the help of a few friends.

How are you, Jon?