Milling stuff

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured I'd put a lot of pictures of my milling stuff up in a thread of its own. This is from today. Cherry that was about 25" wide at the widest spot. Some interesting grain in it. I have a 2' chunk that I'm going to mess with as well It was all forks so I bucked it off. It may end up as bowls or something since it's so twisted.

166.jpg 168.jpg 170.jpg 171.jpg 172.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me and another guy are planning to try and mill a big piece of Red Oak that I have. The big end is 40", and 12' long.

Any advice you experienced guys want to give is welcome.

I've made post & beam out of Ash, but never tried anything like this. Not sure what we will do with it, but possibly tables or Fireplace Mantles, etc.

Any recommended thickness to cut, or drying methods?

Thanks

Attachments

• 40inOak12-26-15 014.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 014.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 27

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put it up on a slope to help it feed so it's less work for whoever is running the mill. Air dry for 3-6 months minimum before taking to a kiln. If not it's a year an inch for the most part. Mantles I would go 3-4" thick. The only problem with that is a piece 3" that big will weight 500 lbs or so. Stacking thinner pieces on their edges in the shade and out of water had less cupping than stacking and trying to weight and strap them down.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put it up on a slope to help it feed so it's less work for whoever is running the mill. Air dry for 3-6 months minimum before taking to a kiln. If not it's a year an inch for the most part. Mantles I would go 3-4" thick. The only problem with that is a piece 3" that big will weight 500 lbs or so. Stacking thinner pieces on their edges in the shade and out of water had less cupping than stacking and trying to weight and strap them down.

Thanks for the great advice. Unfortunately, we have no way to move that thing before we cut it up, the septic fields preclude bringing in any large equipment.

I'm even considering turning it into 2 - 6' pieces before we get started.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck if I know. I just thought I remembered that from some woodworking class a billion years ago. One of those weird things sticks in yer noggin'.