Trader history (0)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is that but simington has no problem?
I don't know. Is it UL listed as a grinder, or just for electrical (cord, switch, motor, etc.?). Maybe they are just taking their chances or found someone to provide liability insurance.

Philbert

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there really that great of a demand for chain grinders? Not a lot of hand falling going on compared to 10 years ago.

That's the big issue right there. More and more logging will be going mechanized, as compared to hiring hand fallers. The big fires will always need hand fallers but in recent years, professional arborists
have been filling that gap and that will likely be a continuing trend. Some arborists do like to square-grind, but many don't because they want their groundies to be able to hand round-file in the field
on big removals. I think the demand will be fairly small due to the number of used units in circulation and older guys getting out of the business. So as long as a guy takes that into account, they'll do ok.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the big issue right there. More and more logging will be going mechanized, as compared to hiring hand fallers. The big fires will always need hand fallers but in recent years, professional arborists
have been filling that gap and that will likely be a continuing trend. Some arborists do like to square-grind, but many don't because they want their groundies to be able to hand round-file in the field
on big removals. I think the demand will be fairly small due to the number of used units in circulation and older guys getting out of the business. So as long as a guy takes that into account, they'll do ok.

That and you have guys that will not let them go I’m one of those. We had our old forester stop by today he said the new plan is all hand cutting ground will be left for buffers and as a tax credit everything going forward will be mechanically cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT47

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After using both the Razor Sharp II and the SDM 4 , i prefer the Razor sharp. Less fiddling around. Spoke with Shaun after purchasing his kit and said there is definitely a market here for RS IIs. No doubt be cheaper to produce than an SDM 4. Silveys patents have expired and the market is ripe for an alternative to the Simington. Threw together some footage of what goes on up here for you guys. Cheers!

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
11:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I highly doubt those grinders will sell for those prices, but you never know. My dad sold his SDM-4 a few years back for $1800. I seen another mint one sell for the same. I sold my well used one a couple months back for $800 (looked about like the one listed for $2000)
If you think the markets there, id go for a SDM-4 or a improved RSII. Is there really that great of a demand for chain grinders? Not a lot of hand falling going on compared to 10 years ago. Plus, if I was in the market for a grinder, there is nothing wrong with a Simington. I know a lot of professional cutters using them. I feel like part of the reason guys want the Silveys is the history behind them. That’s what my old man used, I remember being out in the shop grinding chains with him when I was just a little kid.
The thing the Silveys got going for them is that they are really consistent and super smooth!
I have a Madsens catalog from 2008. Pro Sharp is listed at $2099.

This was from Sept of 2011
538c89299c04378b7699a571832add5a.jpg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to give you guys an idea the tree savers were listed for 3300 the last set I saw new at Madsens had a 4500 price tag that was around 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my High-Jacker, it was $1,325.00. It was when they first came out and Bailey's was the first dealer to stock them. I can't remember how much the Tree-Savers were back then,
but a new RSII at the time was $575.00 (fall, 1996).

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I bought my High-Jacker, it was $1,325.00. It was when they first came out and Bailey's was the first dealer to stock them. I can't remember how much the Tree-Savers were back then,
but a new RSII at the time was $575.00 (fall, 1996).

My dad bought our pro sharp new for 1200 at the show years ago it’s an early one for sure.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After using both the Razor Sharp II and the SDM 4 , i prefer the Razor sharp. Less fiddling around. Spoke with Shaun after purchasing his kit and said there is definitely a market here for RS IIs. No doubt be cheaper to produce than an SDM 4. Silveys patents have expired and the market is ripe for an alternative to the Simington. Threw together some footage of what goes on up here for you guys. Cheers!

Is That B.C. or Alaska ????

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Count me in..

I just can't get past the workmanship on the Simington. I have no problem paying the freight for a proper tool!